Apple Watch stands made from metal - why would you?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by iConnected, Jun 1, 2015.

1. iConnected, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

I've seen the thread about Apple Watch stands, I've watched Kickstarter like a hawk and I've come to the conclusion that a lot of Apple Watch stand manufacturers are making a fundamental mistake.

Look at the iPhone. When has Apple ever sold an iPhone dock that was made from metal? Never. They have all been made from plastic.

Why? Because when you're casually slotting your iPhone onto the dock, you are going to get it wrong sometimes. Including when you're tired, not wearing your glasses, drunk, being careless or all of the above. Under such circumstances, a plastic dock will be much more forgiving to your iPhone than an aluminium one.

The same applies to the Apple Watch. In fact, even more so. Because you'll probably wear your Apple Watch right until you go to bed. When, by definition, you are certainly tired (at the very least, from my list of possibilities).

It's not just the Apple Watch body either. Many people have bought stainless steel bands, which sit naturally together with aluminium like, well, chocolate and a roaring fire.

For this reason, I have ordered a DODOcase Apple Watch charging stand (http://www.dodocase.com/products/apple-watch-charging-stand). Other misalignment-friendly options include the Navitech wood stand (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Navitech®-Apple-Charging-Station-Platform/dp/B00UI2UDA2) and the ElevationLab silicone nightstand (http://www.elevationlab.com/products/night-stand).

Am I alone in expecting tales of woe, over time, from those who have chosen aluminium Apple Watch stands?

Edit: forgot to mention SchuttenWorks (WAVE charging stand for Apple Watch) http://www.schuttenworks.com/index.php/store/apple-watch

2. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

3. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Spigens stand has TPU on the part that touches the watch. Made from aluminum too.. So what's your point?

4. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

5. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

Also metal doesn't necessarily scratch other metal just because it's metal.

6. iConnected thread starter macrumors 6502a

iConnected

= made from aluminium + TPU, which mitigates the risk. Didn't say anything against Spigen.

Of course, that still assumes that you don't badly overshoot the charging puck when attempting to dock your watch.

7. iConnected thread starter macrumors 6502a

iConnected

I'm no metallurgist, so I'm sure you're right.

But you'd surely have to try much harder to scratch metal (whether aluminium or SS) or glass (Ion-X glass) with a piece of rounded wood?

8. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

On the twelve south stand, the watch only touches rubber and a faux leather

9. iConnected thread starter macrumors 6502a

iConnected

That's a pretty good example of what I mean.

It only touches silicone if you line it up just right every single time. If you miss and knock it into the side of the Twelve South HiRise stand - or graze the watch along the edge - that there is unforgiving aluminium.

10. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

You have to try pretty hard to touch the metal with the watch

11. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

You're the reason we can't have nice things! :eek:

Seriously though, I have the original Elevation Dock, from the original Kickstarter, and used it with my iPhone4 & iPhone5, and never had the slightest problem (not using it now because it won't fit my iPhone6). My iPhone4 lived permanently in an Apple bumper, and my iPhone5, in an Apple leather case, so the metal never had a chance to contact the dock (a use case that you seem not to have considered). I've never broken an iPhone, either. I'm not too worried about my Apple Watch (which arrived 3 hours ago!), which will be sitting on an all-aluminum Nomad Apple Watch stand (once that arrives).

12. iConnected thread starter macrumors 6502a

iConnected

I didn't refer to iPhones with cases on them (and compatible docks) because I didn't think that any of Apple's docks (apart from the latest one) were compatible with iPhones + Apple cases / bumpers.

Imagine that Apple had only ever sold aluminium docks. How many pages on this forum would be filled with posts from people complaining that their dock had scratched their iPhone?

Many people have already posted about picking up scratches on their Watches (displays and /or bodies) from daily use, some without knowing how or when they've occurred.

I'm suggesting that choosing a non-metallic stand seems like an easy way to exclude one potential cause of unwanted marks. But each to their own, of course :)

13. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Again.. What's your point? Are you that afraid of life that you let something like this blow your mind?

Maybe you shouldn't own a watch if you're this paranoid?

[​IMG]

14. iConnected thread starter macrumors 6502a

iConnected

My point is already clear.

What's yours?

And why are you still defending Spigen? I never mentioned them. We have already established that they're not a good example of what I meant because they're made from metal and TPU. The entire docking head is coated in rubberised TPU specifically to avoid scratches. This just supports my view about the dangers of using metal stands that don't offer good protection against accidental bangs and scrapes.

15. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Sounds like you'll love the Elevation Lab NightStand.

16. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I see what you're saying about metal on metal, although I personally don't think it would do that much of a damage.

As for the Spigen stand though, if someone's going to badly overshoot when attempting to dock the watch...I think that person would have to have pretty bad visuospatial coordination and is more likely to damage their watch from everyday use by knocking it around!!

17. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

I'm not defending Spigen. I'm using that as an example that your fears of metal on metal have already been answered, and you have options out there for a watch stand, so now you're just going on and on for the argument.

If you have that hard of time doing such a simple task, there are more problems that you should be worrying abound than dinging or scratching your watch.

If this helps, I chose Spigen due to the fact that no metal touches my watch, to avoid scratches. I'm not worried about dings since that would require a lot more force than the simple movement of bringing the watch in for a dock landing.

Hope that helps you.

18. iConnected thread starter macrumors 6502a

iConnected

Nice product. Comes in a couple of colour options, too. :)

19. iConnected thread starter macrumors 6502a

iConnected

You seem to misunderstand the purpose of this thread. It's an invitation to debate the potential risks posed by metal watch stands, not to help me choose anything.

Read my first post. I've already bought mine. If you're not interested in the discussion, feel free to move along, preferably without making any more personal comments.

20. bh85 macrumors regular

bh85

I can see your concern where stand could potentially scratch watch/band. I guess you just have to be careful about placing it on the charging stand, if your stand is made all out of metal. Another option if you are really worried is to get a plastic or wood stand. I have Spigen, and there is not way to scratch it unless you are a dumb ass.

21. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

I think that last part is key...

22. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

We are all here to discuss. You'll be fine.