Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2022
Hey guys,

sorry another post around not the perfect item out of the box :p

Received my AWU on Monday and noticed slight imperfection on the side of the front, on the titanium case finish, see photos attached. It is visible only in bright light, like sunlight or under a LED spot.
I called Apple and they said send it back and we will send a new one, yours will be refurbished.

But I was wondering is it worth it, especially for a watch that will see tons of other tough situation soon ?

I guess we all have our tolerances, I got my iPhone with small cosmetic defect on the chassis, but I need some common sense out of you all !

Thanks !

Attachments

• Image PNG.png
    Image PNG.png
    3 MB · Views: 1,182
  • IMG_0163.png
    IMG_0163.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 665
Last edited:

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
ny reply would be, if you took the time to post you are not happy.
don’t settle.
Me, back it goes, I don’t need apples help by selling me a watch with cosmetic damage. That’s my job, those are my stories, my battle wounds.
$800+ for pre-damaged goods, nope

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
TBH, I would send it back too. But, to be sure I don't get some refurb model back (although I don't know any like that exist), I might consider returning it for a FULL refund, THEN buy a model again to ensure I get a brand new one. I mean, the device is expensive enough which is largely the consideration for maybe why I might do it this way.

Reactions: oneteam and M33-1

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Me, back it goes, I don’t need apples help by selling me a watch with cosmetic damage. That’s my job, those are my stories, my battle wounds.
$800+ for pre-damaged goods, nope
Absolutely agree! If this were a much cheaper item (say $30) meh...ok, fine. But this is an $800+ item; no thank you. Return. In fact, I may ask for full refund and then buy again to ensure I get a brand new unit.

Reactions: bruinsrme

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
That’s worse nicks than I got on my Ultra banging it full force into a table leg made of steel. I would probably exchange that - I usually do not care about these things, it will happen to the watch sooner or later anyway. But I don’t think I would accept that out of the box tbh.

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
Cosmetically, I don’t think I’d even notice.

But, brand-new … makes me wonder if it’s not a result of damage, but rather a flaw (bubbles, etc.) in the casting. I’d consider returning it for that reason … how do you know that there aren’t deeper flaws that you can’t see?

b&

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Why would they replace a new watch with a refurbished. Return it within the return period and get a new watch.

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2022
They told me they will send me a new one, and put mine as refurbished, but I will get a new one

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2022
No intention to keep it pristine of course, this is a watch and even without doing extreme activities watches get shocks and scratches. It is just the fact that having it not pristine out of the box is a little bit disappointin, even though it should not last long…

Reactions: leebroath

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
No intention to keep it pristine of course, this is a watch and even without doing extreme activities watches get shocks and scratches. It is just the fact that having it not pristine out of the box is a little bit disappointin, even though it should not last long…
I understand your disappointment and would be equally disappointed. I have a Black SS S3 and it still looks flawless after 5 years on my wrist. I am interested in the Ultra but I think it will look in worse condition than the S3 after a few days on my wrist.

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2022
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to share your opinions and advices ! Really appreciated !

I decided to send the watch back for an exchange, I was getting tired of hesitating and staring at the defect every day.

So, the procedure is that I send it back, and when they receive it they send me a new one, not a refurbished one.
I get the confirmation form the Apple Support person, and as a "proof" the time delay to have my watch is exactly the same as I would have ordered it on the website.

Will keep you updated when I receive it, probably in about 2 weeks from now !

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2022
Hello guys,

to keep you updated of the final developments, I called Apple on Monday 24th, sent back the watch on Tuesday 25th and received the new one, with the sealed packaging, real brand new, on Friday 28th !
It was quite quick, no problem out of the box with the new one.
The person from the Apple support was super nice.
Next time something similar happen I will hesitate less !

thanks for all your advices and thoughts !

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Awesome! I'm surprised they sent you a brand new one in retail packaging. I always though if you exchanged a new product, they'll send you a refurb one. Of course, maybe the Ultra is so new that they don't have refurbs ready yet. Enjoy your new unit!

Reactions: Grobaouche
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.