Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that Apple Watch users can earn a special Thanksgiving Day badge and accompanying iMessage sticker by completing a walk, run, or wheelchair workout with a distance of at least 5K (3.1 miles) on November 23.

apple-watch-thanksgiving.jpg

As with the Veterans Day badge, this achievement is only available on devices that have United States set as the region. The distance can be recorded with the Workout app or any third-party app that adds workouts to the Health app.

Apple Watch users can view a history of achievements via the Achievements tab in the Activity app on a paired iPhone.

Article Link: Apple Watch Wearers Can Earn Thanksgiving Day Badge on Thursday

trusso

Suspended
Oct 4, 2003
Who wants to run 3 miles on Thanksgiving day?

Everyone's gonna be on the couch watching football, and then eating turkey.

Maybe you can run to the shops after dinner. :rolleyes:

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Is Apple going to someday offer incentives for obtaining badges or something. I get the motivation factor but.....why are we making it news that Apple is going to offer people badges if they workout on thanksgiving? Is it one day going to lower my healthcare payout? If so then I’m all for it.

Reactions: richhh

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
These badges may seem silly but they inspire a lot of people to do more to earn them. Anything you can do to get people to exercise more will benefit them. It'd be awesome to see more of these badges pop up, even when there isn't a holiday to coincide with (a monthly special badge challenge or random weekend badges).

AronDraws

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
Burbank, CA
Waiting for Apple to get sued by NBC for copying the logo.

NBC's logo is a 6-feathered rainbow Peacock with feathers in tight formation. This badge is 5 feathers fanned out and broken apart which I would assume symbolize not only the turkey of the holiday festivities, but also the 5K. I am going to guess they will be in traditional autumn colors. (yellows, oranges, golds)

Reactions: Kaibelf

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Why apple "forces" us to walk/run as the exercise form for Thanksgiving? I understand that's a tradition to some people, but could we not just earn the badge for just doing any exercise in general?

The Apple Watch in general can be used every single day of the year for any type of exercise. But more specifically for Thanksgiving day, they're just encouraging those they have some type of activity, even if they don't earn the badge, they don't need to as the badge is a reminder/goal in general.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Apple forces you? That sounds like a forced reply.

Why apple "forces" us to walk/run as the exercise form for Thanksgiving? I understand that's a tradition to some people, but could we not just earn the badge for just doing any exercise in general?

bazinga871

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
Seriously, stop whining about it not being available because you're outside the U.S.. If you go to the Apple Watch app on the iPhone -> General -> Language and region, change the region setting to "United States". Ta-daaaa. You'll get the opportunity and the badge will show up in Achievements.

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Definitely going to take care of this in the morning. No way in hell I would be able to muster the motivation to run 5K after stuffing myself like a... well, a Thanksgiving turkey. I could walk it, but walking feels a bit like cheating!

Reactions: 960design

cjgrif

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Salisbury, MD
Apple forces you? That sounds like a forced reply.

I think the point is that since it's a distance based goal it has to be an outdoor walk or run type of workout so the GPS can track it. For me it would be cool to get the badge for doing an hour on the elliptical which is well over the 5K distance, but my Apple Watch doesn't know that.

Reactions: NT1440 and Saipher
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.