Apple Watch working without iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Neo1975, May 11, 2015.

1. Neo1975 macrumors regular

Hello.

Last night I visited my friend and accidentally left my iPhone at home.

Weird thing was, I still received two text messages on my  Watch. They were both SMS messages not iMessages.

I have previously used my friends Wi-Fi, so was my  Watch connected to Wi-Fi or could the messages have been in limbo and came through late ?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

We've only used my wife's Apple Watch on our home wifi, so I don't have a lot of actual experience on different LANs.

I think that if you connect to a wifi that the iPhone has creditials for, the watch will have those and will be able to connect even without the iPhone. It'll have the same limits as when on the same LAN as the iPhone, but out of Bluetooth range.

3. RJ17 macrumors regular

I left my phone at home last night while visiting a friend and my watch worked for iMessage + dictation last night. I had been to their house previously with both my iPhone and watch together. Location services for Maps also worked but the maps images didn't load.

4. Neo1975 thread starter macrumors regular

Apple should really document what the Watch will and won't do without your iPhone. As far as I know, they haven't actually commented fully commented on this subject.