Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Watches Shipping to Customers Confirmed to Have Covered Diagnostic Port

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Early Apple Watch models were found to have a hidden diagnostic port used to allow Apple engineers to diagnose problems with the devices, but reports at the time were unsure if the feature would be included in models shipping out to consumers. Apple Watches have now arrived in Australia, giving us our first opportunity to further investigate the diagnostic port.

MacRumors reader MrLaforge has received his Space Gray Apple Watch Sport and has taken high-quality pictures of the casing, giving us a look at what appears to be the diagnostic port hidden underneath a cover. The port's cover looks a lot like the SIM card slot on an iPhone 6, and it appears that it might open in a similar way, giving Apple employees a way to run diagnostics on the Apple Watch when it's brought in for service.

The same covered diagnostic port was also present in Apple Watches provided to media sites for Apple Watch reviews earlier this month. At Apple Stores, devices on display have the same ports, but they remain uncovered, presumably to make it easier for employees to continually monitor and adjust settings on the devices.

A report from TechCrunch has speculated that this diagnostic port could also potentially be used for smart band accessories in the future, but it is unclear if that is something that Apple is planning on introducing.

Article Link: Apple Watches Shipping to Customers Confirmed to Have Covered Diagnostic Port

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Looking at that up-close photo, I'm glad I changed from space grey to silver. That finish looks terrible.

Comment

ElRojito

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2012
Looking at that up-close photo, I'm glad I changed from space grey to silver. That finish looks terrible.

You should see them in person. This guy has obviously been eating Cheetos while playing with his watch

Comment

MrLaforge

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Adelaide, South Australia
Bad office lighting, and it's been mauled by half the office.

The finish is clean, just not showing in this photo.

Sim Tray is super tiny, even the tiniest pin I could find won't fit in the eject hole..

Comment

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida

Ok, sure....
The lowest quality material available on the cheapest watch is going to look significantly better in a different shade.

Sounds like a pipe dream to me, but hey... it's your story, bro- you tell it!

Comment

Bobtodd

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Diagnostics are accessed only through the iPhone paired with watch. Edition is the only watch which can have diagnostics run on watch only. The stores have received a grey device that locks into the strap slot with pins that go into the slot when uncovered.

Comment

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
The United States of America
Diagnostics are accessed only through the iPhone paired with watch. Edition is the only watch which can have diagnostics run on watch only. The stores have received a grey device that locks into the strap slot with pins that go into the slot when uncovered.

Source? What makes the Edition so much different that it and only it can be used with this "grey device"?

Comment

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Source? What makes the Edition so much different that it and only it can be used with this "grey device"?
If wireless syncing does not work at all, Apple employees could still exchange the non-gold versions for a new one on the spot. Even if the watch turns out to be fake, it wouldn't be such a costly scam. If the gold one turns out to be a fake, it would hurt. They might want to hook it with wires to make sure it is a genuine watch and there are real electronics inside.

Comment

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Pure luck.

Ordered at 4:31pm ACST via the App Store App here in Adelaide, Australia.

Confirmed at 4:33pm ACST in Email

I didn't do any more or any less than anyone else.

Like many others in the united states I ordered a space gray/black sport at 3:04am...FOUR MINUTES after it went on sale. A friend of mine ordered at 3:03am...both of ours wont arrive till May 13-27.

getting your watch today is the definition of luck

Comment

taelormyrie

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015
Like many others in the united states I ordered a space gray/black sport at 3:04am...FOUR MINUTES after it went on sale. A friend of mine ordered at 3:03am...both of ours wont arrive till May 13-27.

getting your watch today is the definition of luck

I ordered mine at 3:02 am EST and I get it tomorrow, I guess everyone was up so at the crack of dawn

Comment

Bobtodd

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
If wireless syncing does not work at all, Apple employees could still exchange the non-gold versions for a new one on the spot. Even if the watch turns out to be fake, it wouldn't be such a costly scam. If the gold one turns out to be a fake, it would hurt. They might want to hook it with wires to make sure it is a genuine watch and there are real electronics inside.

The service strategy is that NO watch will be swapped in-store, all watch,s will be sent to the depot for repair.
Also if you want to swap your strap for a different color that is also handled by the online store no IN Store swap will be allowed.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.