Apple Watch's Sapphire Crystal Display Evaluated With Diamond Tester

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 28, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

YouTube channel Unbox Therapy has shared a new video that tests the stainless steel Apple Watch with a basic diamond tester to determine if it actually has a sapphire crystal display like many regular mechanical watches. The video also tests the Apple Watch Sport, LG G Watch R, iPhone 6 and a Tissot watch that is verified to have a sapphire crystal display.

[​IMG]
    The results of the test confirm that the Apple Watch does have a sapphire crystal display as advertised, with the diamond tester recognizing the thermal conductivity of the scratch-resistant material. The verified Tissot watch also displays a reading on the meter, while the Apple Watch Sport, LG G Watch R and iPhone 6 do not yield any results because all three devices have traditional or ion-strengthened glass displays.

Sapphire crystal is a harder and more scratch resistant material than traditional glass, which is why Apple chose it for the more expensive Apple Watch and Apple Watch Edition display and lenses of the heart rate sensor. Apple cut the sapphire crystal with a diamond-encrusted wire to allow for a precise fit and polished it with diamond-covered pellets for a smooth and glossy finish.
    Apple Watch has been put through a variety of tests since it was released last week, giving users an idea of how the wrist-worn device manages based on both normal and unrealistic usage. CNET shared an Apple Watch torture test on Friday that, among other things, involved submerging the watch in hot water and pouring ketchup and maple syrup on it, while another video took the Apple Watch into the shower and swimming pool as part of a waterproof test.

Article Link: Apple Watch's Sapphire Crystal Display Evaluated With Diamond Tester

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I don't think there was ever any doubt about Apple using real sapphire crystal displays. :confused:

3. arubinst macrumors 6502

So... was anyone expecting a different outcome?

It's not like Apple is going to sell something else and label it as sapphire :rolleyes:

4. DavidTheExpert, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015

DavidTheExpert macrumors regular

I would have gone with the stainless steel model for the sapphire display if only there were more color options. I went with sport because I liked the space gray color better. The space black stainless steel was nice, but it only comes with the link bracelet putting the minimum price at a thousand dollars. Eff that.

5. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I think the Unbox Therapy guy is nice and knows his stuff, but my god does he take forever to get to the point in all of his videos. This one in particular could've been 30 seconds.

"Oh look, it really is Sapphire." ROLL CREDITS.

6. Shayanftw macrumors member

Tissot > Apple watch all day :)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=546886&stc=1&d=1430233515

7. LatinaC09 macrumors regular

LatinaC09

Pretty interesting video. It's good for the doubters lol. Loving my new :apple:Watch :)

8. k1121j macrumors 6502a

k1121j

did people actually thing they were lying LOL

9. icrude macrumors regular

10. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    No kidding! :rolleyes:

How about testing something that we don't know yet. Like:

- What's the battery size in the 42mm????

- How long does a watch go if you put it into Reserve Mode at 100% battery?

- Is there a way to fool the wrist detection and move the watch to another arm?

- Heck, what if you just put a piece of white tape (or a band-aid) under the watch? Does this allow the owner to wear it looser?

- I.e. Is the detection looking for a pulse? And if so, is that only every ten minutes?

- etc

11. realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

12. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I agree, I love my Tissot! Although I'll probably end up with an Apple Watch v2 or v3.

13. lincolntran macrumors 6502a

lincolntran

Is it a piece of sapphire or just the coating?

14. darcyf macrumors 6502

darcyf

"To ensure a precise fit for the case, the crystal is cut using a diamond-encrusted wire. To make room for an integrated antenna, a tiny groove is laser-ablated around its perimeter. And to create the smoothest possible finish, the crystal is polished with diamond-covered pellets."

And in the making of this watch, a lot of f***s were given.

15. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

16. lincolntran macrumors 6502a

lincolntran

That depends on personal needs. I haven't wear a watch for years and now I'm loving my Apple Watch. Why? I can use the silent alarm to wake up everyday without disturbing everyone else. A mechanical watch failed in this area. Also, with an arm raised, I know the time, temperature, and date. That the 3 things I want to know at any given moment and quickly. A mechanical watch can't fulfill this need either.

17. extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

I had no doubts about the sapphire, but still enjoyed the (way too long) video nonetheless.

18. Cyberpower678 macrumors 6502

The entire display is sapphire. Primary reason why I pre-ordered SS. Unfortunately, I'm first wave and still processing.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think apple would have faced a massive class action suit and lost a lot of respect/good will if it wasn't. Its really a no brainer that they used it.

20. masotime macrumors 68020

masotime

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting real tired about hearing about the Apple watch.

Especially since I ordered it a few minutes after online launch and I still don't know when I'm going to get it :mad:

21. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

All watch news, all the time.

I guess all the news on all the other Apple things just stopped for a week.

22. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

His old videos were straight to point, the more popular he's become the videos are more long winded, over produced and excruciating to watch

But who thought Apple was lying? What a pointless video

23. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I have no respect for him or his videos whatsoever.

24. tarkeybear macrumors member

Breaking the wrist (connection)

You can slide the phone quickly from one wrist to another and it will read pulses (and presumably allow for Apple Pay). This has to be done quickly, wrist to wrist.

If you remove the watch from the wrist, it quickly detects the removal (might be a light sensor) and immediately goes to secure mode, requiring your passcode if you want to do anything else but read the time.

25. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

Don't worry: Ming-Chi Kuo articles will resume shortly, and you will be happy once again.