Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Notebooks account for something like 75% of Mac sales according to this week's keynote.

Figure out what you want a computer for, exactly, and then get what you want. If a Linux box will do the trick then build it.

I would *prefer* a Mac with modern CPU's (I DO need the faster processors every day every hour) under $2500 but don't like to buy the highly specialized niche product called iMac, which only suits people who don't already have an external screen and don't mind glaring reflections.

And please folks don't tell me "the iMac sells so well, how can it be a niche product?" This is BS, an iMac without the display would sell just as well if not much better for obvious reasons, because it is more modular and people can put things together the way they want and save money in the process because they don't have to buy Apple's display.

Apple's strategy makes absolutely no friggin' sense. That's really all there is to say about this. No BS about over-fragmentalization and stuff like that. Who cares? There is a HUGE market for desktop computers still and Apple is not offering a reasonable option. The current Mac Mini is like a laptop without the display. The iMac is a niche product for people who want everything in one package (for whatever dubious reason). The Pro is a high-end workstation type computer. Apple is not selling a standard desktop computer, which is the only thing I need besides my Macbook Air.

It makes no sense. End of story. The only reason people here are even still arguing about this obvious fact is that Apple is successful overall. But that argument is completely worthless and you guys don't even realize it!

Last edited:

Undo Redo

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Colorado, USA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Apple did at one time pursue the midrange desktop market with the Powermac G4 Cube. It was a desktop, intended to be plugged into a monitor, with accessible internals. It tanked.
Great computer but it was overpriced and underpowered compared to the cheaper Power Mac that was sold at the time.

Hackintoshes are illegal. Anyone got any other sensible ideas other than "go Windows or Linux?"

I wonder if it's possible to get a low-end quad core iMac and disconnect its screen. That's about what I want and the price is reasonable.

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I like OSX, but I don't like their hardware choices either. my next new computer will be a Hackintosh , even if I have to stay with Snow Leopard. The GPU is dying on my imac. I don't like the fact that I will soon be throwing it away, instead of replacing the GPU.

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Apple did at one time pursue the midrange desktop market with the Powermac G4 Cube. It was a desktop, intended to be plugged into a monitor, with accessible internals. It tanked.

There is such a thing as being before its time. The Cube was under powered for its price. When the Cube came out technology hadn't yet caught up to its size and shape. Also perhaps the public wasn't ready yet for something that small. But the Mini has shown that people will except smaller products today. The fact that many of us are bemoaning the size of the Mac Pro but are looking for some of the features of the Mac Pro in a smaller package is proof that todays market is willing to accept smaller products. Being able to plug in a monitor and access the internals certainly wasn't the reason the Cube did not sell. Otherwise the Mac Pro would be long gone.

I like how Apple tried once, just once at a mid range desktop and then gave up. If Apple did that with every product where would it be? The iMac would still be built around a CRT for one. How many of those would Apple sell today? Look at the Newton. Technology hadn't really caught up to that idea back then. But along came PDAs and now Apple sells the iPhone. Should Apple had just stopped after Newton?

If Apple has shown anything it is that Apple isn't a quitter. But it quit after one try at a mid range Mac and it is time to try again.

joe1946

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
They should just come out with a Mac mini with the same hardware as the latest iMac but without a monitor. So what if it's a few inches bigger , it sure beats paying over $2,500 for a Mac Pro. If they could sell a 21.5-inch iMac with 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 1920 x 1080 resolution 4GB (two 2GB) memory 500GB hard drive AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB for $1,199 then an Mac mini with the same specs should cost $999 or less with options for the Core i7 , AMD 6970M etc. It should not be much larger than the Dell Zino HD HTPC.
dell-inspiron-zino-hd.jpg

Last edited:

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
agreed. Doesn't it simplify their lineup too? Same architecture, just a different enclosure.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Great computer but it was overpriced and underpowered compared to the cheaper Power Mac that was sold at the time.

Hackintoshes are illegal. Anyone got any other sensible ideas other than "go Windows or Linux?"

I wonder if it's possible to get a low-end quad core iMac and disconnect its screen. That's about what I want and the price is reasonable.

Hackintoshes are not in anyway illegal to build.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
EyeTV runs perfectly on my two Minis. How could it run better than perfectly?
I have two Minis too.

Often I find EyeTV uses a lot of the CPU. It gets very heavy on the CPU usage. A much faster Mini would handle EyeTV without breaking a sweat.

There are other tasks one would want to use a Mini for that are CPU intensive too which would benefit from a much faster CPU.

smurfjammer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
I would *prefer* a Mac with modern CPU's (I DO need the faster processors every day every hour) under $2500 but don't like to buy the highly specialized niche product called iMac, which only suits people who don't already have an external screen and don't mind glaring reflections.

And please folks don't tell me "the iMac sells so well, how can it be a niche product?" This is BS, an iMac without the display would sell just as well if not much better for obvious reasons, because it is more modular and people can put things together the way they want and save money in the process because they don't have to buy Apple's display.

Apple's strategy makes absolutely no friggin' sense. That's really all there is to say about this. No BS about over-fragmentalization and stuff like that. Who cares? There is a HUGE market for desktop computers still and Apple is not offering a reasonable option. The current Mac Mini is like a laptop without the display. The iMac is a niche product for people who want everything in one package (for whatever dubious reason). The Pro is a high-end workstation type computer. Apple is not selling a standard desktop computer, which is the only thing I need besides my Macbook Air.

It makes no sense. End of story. The only reason people here are even still arguing about this obvious fact is that Apple is successful overall. But that argument is completely worthless and you guys don't even realize it!

The iMac is a good all round computer and there is nothing really wrong with the gloss screen (it just an excuse) and the desktop market and netbooks are the only two markets that are sliding backwards in grow due to laptops & tablets so why would Apple want to get involved?

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
I was planning to change my notebook for an iMac, but I've given up. Main reasons:
1. Dangerous and complicated process to remove glass, display and delicate cables just to change the slow HD with my 3rd party SSD.
2. Proprietary firmware and non-standard SATA cable are incompatible with my SSD.

Apple should make a rear cover for easy change of HD and RAM, just like it is in MacBooks.
Having to remove a built-in display just to change a hard disk is retarded.
I'm not going to buy an iMac until they fix that sh.it.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i dont mind the core2 duo in the mini..sufficient enough for most tasks , but in recent years apple upgraded the price for the mini instead of the hardware , realistically based whats inside the mini it should not cost more then £300...come on £612 that are $ 1005.48 for the base off the shelf Mac mini

in pc world you get for less money in bigger boxes (which is not a bad thing with cooling in mind) already AMD Phenom II X6 or i3 intels for just £400 or if you put a couple pound ..about £30 on top of the mini's price you get pc's with a intels i7 and no not self build rigs , from big brands

come on apple sure you can do better then HP and the rest :(

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
and there is nothing really wrong with the gloss screen (it just an excuse)

that ips panel inside there is causing problems since it was first put in a iMac , ok its glossy glass mirror in front is a thing of taste and some like to look into mirrors ..thats called narcissism ,
superior picture quality ..yes if you want pictures to look like cats pee'd on them or if you like grey bars and such things and some dirt and even dead insects inside the ips panel (not just behind the glass).....then YES its a perfect display if you can ignore all those things..but i guess thats why the iMac gets cheaper every year now

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
come on £612 that are $ 1005.48 for the base off the shelf Mac mini
Huh?

in pc world you get for less money in bigger boxes (which is not a bad thing with cooling in mind) already AMD Phenom II X6 or i3 intels for just £400 or if you put a couple pound ..about £30 on top of the mini's price you get pc's with a intels i7 and no not self build rigs , from big brands

You do realize that the small form factor and the fact that it's NOT a PC are both value-adds, right? People are paying more money for both those things.

that ips panel inside there is causing problems since it was first put in a iMac , ok its glossy glass mirror in front is a thing of taste and some like to look into mirrors ..thats called narcissism ,
superior picture quality ..yes if you want pictures to look like cats pee'd on them or if you like grey bars and such things and some dirt and even dead insects inside the ips panel (not just behind the glass).....then YES its a perfect display if you can ignore all those things..but i guess thats why the iMac gets cheaper every year now

What the heck are you talking about?

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008

the 2010 refresh bumped the UK price for the base machine to £612. To be fair, that was mostly due to screwy exchange rates. It was just a shame that the spec 'bump' was questionable so the price rise made it look even worse value.

£612 at current rates is the equivalent of around $1000. thats a lot for the basic mini. That includes 20% VAT though (sales tax)

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
the 2010 refresh bumped the UK price for the base machine to £612. To be fair, that was mostly due to screwy exchange rates. It was just a shame that the spec 'bump' was questionable so the price rise made it look even worse value.

£612 at current rates is the equivalent of around $1000. thats a lot for the basic mini. That includes 20% VAT though (sales tax)

But it's not $1000. It's £612. If you're buying it in dollars, it's $699. Doing country-to-country price exchanges like that is meaningless.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
I have two Minis too.

Often I find EyeTV uses a lot of the CPU. It gets very heavy on the CPU usage. A much faster Mini would handle EyeTV without breaking a sweat.

And it would be complete overkill since they already handle any EyeTV tasks perfectly.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
But it's not $1000. It's £612. If you're buying it in dollars, it's $699. Doing country-to-country price exchanges like that is meaningless.

I know, but people do it every time something new comes out. We can't resist in the UK :) Usually followed by claims that you could fly to New York and buy one for less than buying it in the UK..

It does make the mini seem even less value for money though with the price hike (caused not by Apple but by the UK exchange rate but still painful)

Undo Redo

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Colorado, USA
The iMac is a good all round computer and there is nothing really wrong with the gloss screen (it just an excuse)
An excuse for what?

There is no accounting for taste. Some like SSD storage and can't live without. Some like lit keyboards on notebooks. Some people even swear by glossy screens, while others swear at them. None of these preferences are just an excuse for anything.

.Joel

macrumors member
May 10, 2005
It is illegal to use Mac OS X software on them, a violation of the software license agreement. But don't worry, it's unlikely you'll be prosecuted.
What should be illegal is you being allowed to post on a public forum, in fact, you should be made liable for the misinformation you post then perhaps you will think twice about talking absolute nonsense.

Go do some proper research before you start putting on the big red nose and white makeup with those big red feet and start trouncing around the forum.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
What should be illegal is you being allowed to post on a public forum, in fact, you should be made liable for the misinformation you post then perhaps you will think twice about talking absolute nonsense.

Go do some proper research before you start putting on the big red nose and white makeup with those big red feet and start trouncing around the forum.

Nothing he said is incorrect. It is in direct violation of the EULA to install OS X on non-Apple hardware. But nice try, troll.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.