Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Undo Redo

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Colorado, USA
Go do some proper research before you start putting on the big red nose and white makeup with those big red feet and start trouncing around the forum.
from the Mac OS X license agreement:

"2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. Single Use. This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time."

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
from the Mac OS X license agreement:

"2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. Single Use. This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time."

http://youtu.be/lbvwZ4LWeEc?t=55s

jcbauerca

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
OK, so here I have been waiting for the last year or so for a reasonable Apple desktop solution, and it does not exist!

The current Mac Mini's are a joke IMHO with their completely outdated processor architecture. Core 2 Duo. Are you kidding me?!

The only other solution (unless I buy a humongous and expensive Mac Pro) is an iMac which has a friggin' glass mirror in front of its display, making it nearly unusable in an office space like mine with a bright window right next to the desk and a skylight above. Plus, why would I not be allowed to simply use my own display? And attaching that to an iMac is clearly an incredibly impractical and wasteful solution.

So here I am wondering once again if I should really make the switch to a Linux box, which I could buy for the price of an Mac Mini but with i7 processors. I don't want to, but why is Apple giving me no other choice?

Which is a rather general question I have about this company. Why are they not giving me choices?*

*) One other example is the Macbook Air. Why are they not giving me a choice of one that is as powerful as the Macbook Pro's but without their optical drive? Why don't they offer a 15" version? They could even fit the 15" display in the 13" model if they reduced the gigantic bezel size somewhat? And if they want to only put powerful processors in Macbook Pro's, at least give me an option to replace the dinosaur optical drive with an SSD for the OS! Why not Apple, why not?

Get a PC then you can customize it to you heart's content. I have the same problem with my BMW. Why can't I have a touch screen navigation system. To get all the things I want I have to buy a 750 il instead of the 535i that I want. I also want electro-magnetic shocks but they don't have it. whaa...

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
OK, so here I have been waiting for the last year or so for a reasonable Apple desktop solution, and it does not exist!

The current Mac Mini's are a joke IMHO with their completely outdated processor architecture. Core 2 Duo. Are you kidding me?!

The only other solution (unless I buy a humongous and expensive Mac Pro) is an iMac which has a friggin' glass mirror in front of its display, making it nearly unusable in an office space like mine with a bright window right next to the desk and a skylight above. Plus, why would I not be allowed to simply use my own display? And attaching that to an iMac is clearly an incredibly impractical and wasteful solution.

So here I am wondering once again if I should really make the switch to a Linux box, which I could buy for the price of an Mac Mini but with i7 processors. I don't want to, but why is Apple giving me no other choice?

Which is a rather general question I have about this company. Why are they not giving me choices?*

*) One other example is the Macbook Air. Why are they not giving me a choice of one that is as powerful as the Macbook Pro's but without their optical drive? Why don't they offer a 15" version? They could even fit the 15" display in the 13" model if they reduced the gigantic bezel size somewhat? And if they want to only put powerful processors in Macbook Pro's, at least give me an option to replace the dinosaur optical drive with an SSD for the OS! Why not Apple, why not?

Apple makes the hardware and the software, meaning they can't produce absolutely every configuration for every user. Not to mention, desktops are slowly dying for all but the most heavy computer users (a sad fact because I am a desktop user).

Apple already has three desktop lines, Mac Pro, Mac Mini, and iMac. They also have three laptop lines Macbook, Macbook Pro, and Macbook Air. I highly doubt they will ever release a fourth desktop version especially when most of their sales come from laptops.

If you want infinitely customizable hardware choices, Mac is not for you. If you use your computer to get stuff done, Mac is probably for you.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
They have pretty much every base covered with their current line, minus the midrange tower. If they made that, it would cannibalize sales from the iMac, and they really wouldn't make more money.

That depends on how they priced it. Build a Mini with the low end iMac specs, 2.5 i5, 6750M and 500GB drive, call it the Mighty and sell it for $999 or $1049.

At that point, who cares if it cannibalizes sales of the low end iMac.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
That depends on how they priced it. Build a Mini with the low end iMac specs, 2.5 i5, 6750M and 500GB drive, call it the Mighty and sell it for $999 or $1049.

At that point, who cares if it cannibalizes sales of the low end iMac.

apple would need is a consumer SFF(small form factor ) version of the MacPro and not just a upgraded mini
2 hdd bays ,2 pci slots ,1 cpu ,1 GPU ,1 optical drive bay..half the price of the MacPro ....perfect ..sold

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I was thinking of getting a new iMac to replace my sons' 07 aluminums but since they are primarily used for gaming under 'doz 7, I decided to look into building a sff PC. If I build it to the same spec as the low end iMac, I come close to the same price but for a couple hundred more I can get to the spec of the top iMac without the 27" screen, since I don't need that. I also looked at doing a mini clone. This is harder due to the tiny form factor. Closest thing I could do is something like an Antec 310 with an mini-itx board. Cost would be about $150 less, depending on CPU. Aesthetically it would be sub par and nowhere near as energy efficient but it would be more flexible. Apple does not want flexibility as it can break software if you chose wrong.

For those building their own sff machine, btw, the i5-2500k is nearly as fast as the i7-2600 but is $100 less. If you wait for the new Z68 itx boards coming soon, you will likely be able to upgrade to an Ivy Bridge CPU next year.

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
apple would need is a consumer SFF(small form factor ) version of the MacPro and not just a upgraded mini
2 hdd bays ,2 pci slots ,1 cpu ,1 GPU ,1 optical drive bay..half the price of the MacPro ....perfect ..sold

This is what I would buy, as long as the CPU and GPU were not integrated.

Biscuit411

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just bought a new Mini two weeks ago because my old PowerPC G5 died. I do lots of home-movie editing on iMovie, and made and maintain a few web sites with iWeb. Mostly I am a freelance audio engineer running ProTools 9, which records/edits/mixes pro audio. The new Mini does fine - albeit with the 8gb RAM upgrade. If it works for you, why should specs matter?

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If apple were to offer a product in the regular desktop tower range .. They would tremendously increase their overall computer Market share ... They should discontinue mac mini and make a mac pro mini which would give you iMac ish specs but you get to choose your display... Much like regular pc manufacturers ... Price should be IMac minus cost of display.

gakuran hitori

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just bought a new Mini two weeks ago because my old PowerPC G5 died. I do lots of home-movie editing on iMovie, and made and maintain a few web sites with iWeb. Mostly I am a freelance audio engineer running ProTools 9, which records/edits/mixes pro audio. The new Mini does fine - albeit with the 8gb RAM upgrade. If it works for you, why should specs matter?

Out of curiosity how does one become a freelance audio engineer? Did you go to school for it or just take jobs mixing and recording for people?

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If apple were to offer a product in the regular desktop tower range .. They would tremendously increase their overall computer Market share ... They should discontinue mac mini and make a mac pro mini which would give you iMac ish specs but you get to choose your display... Much like regular pc manufacturers ... Price should be IMac minus cost of display.
Yep, seems to me there could be even more profit in it for Apple. Take the low-end iMac, remove the display, keyboard and mouse and sell it for about $1100. Apple would rake in the cash. That might seem expensive, but look at the high end mini at $999, and what you get there.

Biscuit411

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010

clyde2801 said:
Out of curiosity how does one become a freelance audio engineer? Did you go to school for it or just take jobs mixing and recording for people?

Good question. I've also always wondered if there was such a thing as a 'real estate novelist'.

Not sure I get the 'real estate novelist' comment, but then I am a drummer too...

"How I Became a Freelance Audio Engineer"

Comm degree -- post-production gig for eight years -- had kids/went freelance.

Check out www.kevinbeale.com for more info.

Sorry for the thread de-rail...

Biscuit411

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010

Sorry gakuran - I just got it... My brother-in-law is an IT novelist. Hang in there!

clyde2801

macrumors 601

Not sure I get the 'real estate novelist' comment, but then I am a drummer too...

"How I Became a Freelance Audio Engineer"

Comm degree -- post-production gig for eight years -- had kids/went freelance.

Check out http://www.kevinbeale.com for more info.

Sorry for the thread de-rail...

"Well Paul is a real estate novelist,
who never had time for a wife.
And he's talkin' to Davy,
who's still in the navy,
and probably will be for life."

Know your classics, Man!

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
chrono1081 states........Not to mention, desktops are slowly dying for all but the most heavy computer users (a sad fact because I am a desktop user

Well speaking personally I am a light computer user yet I would never consider any other computing solution other than a Desktop computer with a nice 24" screen sat on my office desk complete with nice leather office chair. If I had to rely on a mobile solution then I would give up on home computing entirely.

My place of work would also have to close without desktop computers.

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
I used to think that I would have to do all of my work at my desk, too, and did this for many years. Now I gave way the worthless desktop PC and sold the iMac for a MacBook Pro so that I can enjoy the less serious work from the couch while watching my 50" plasma, but I still hook up to a bigger monitor for more serious work. A laptop with the right accessories is the to go for me, especially when thunderbolt Port takes off.

macguy2

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2010
Desktop Mac: Mini, iMac, Pro

In the early days, Apple offered several desktop configurations: Mac SE, Mac LC, Mac II, and so on. They learned that they had to sell also several types of monitors along. When LCD flat panel monitors became popular, they simplified the lines of Macs. The iMac offers everything in one package for the consumers at large. The Mac Pro is for the people who needs computing power for their works. The Mini serves to introduce Mac to non-Mac users, and it became popular, for it can be used as a media center too. Apple's strategy these days is to add more power to the newer editions of its products. The Mini will get more power as it goes along. I don't think Apple will introduce anything between the Mini and the Pro, except for the iMac, which I don't like because of its glaring screen.

Same thing with the iOS device line: iPod Touch or Ipad. I still hope for something in between the two, an "iPam" maybe. This "iPam" may come to light because of its useful size, holdable in one hand, and more portability than the iPad. However, Steve Jobs may not want to be reminded of the failure of the Newton. I will only get an iPad when it becomes a true replacement of the MacBook Air in terms of power and functionality.

The Shuffle and the Classic iPods will disappear eventually. The Touch will go if the iPhone becomes more affordable.

Last edited:

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
if you wait for a price drop on the iphone i guess you can wait forever , same for the mini ,at least if you are unfortunate to live outside USA (where Mac's are cheap as chips in comparison )

Last edited:

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Here's where I think the issue is, and why the hole in the lineup exists. First, the desktop computer is dying. The iMac is a great machine, it's been a hit since it was first released. People like the idea of an all in one computer that doesn't need a bunch of components attached to it.

While there are some people who would embrace a comparable tower only setup, the number of those people is much smaller than you assume.

Here's the other problem. the market for the Mac Pro is somewhat niche. High level audio & video production is the major market. There are however a lot of amateurs getting into media production as well. The ones I often meet have bought great gear, but try desperately to shoehorn it into a mid range Windows desktop because they don't want to jump into a Mac Pro. They are always, without fail, disappointed and angry that they can't.

If apple introduced a comparable tower only machine, the same thing would happen and all of those people would scream and cry about how bad the computers are. It would result in bad PR for Apple, and a bad customer experience as well.

The mini being lower spec, prevents that. For the average person wanting a tower only, the mini is more than capable. The upcoming update will make it more capable.

It's a shame that it doesn't satisfy the OP's specific desires, but Apple doesn't make computers for every individual desire. They design them to appeal to large chunks of a diverse population.

As for the different iPods, that's a very different situation. All of these models sell in large numbers and many people buy multiple iPods in different sizes. The same cannot be said of desktop computers.

The mini is definitely due for a refresh, and we may be surprised by what we see. Time will tell. Apple may (I hope) embrace it's newfound status as a media center and boost it's graphics performance along with the CPU. More likely though, is they will maintain it as an entry level model.

I'd suspect that it will be powered by whatever their most commonly used processor is. (not necessarily the cheapest) This would enable them to exploit volume for better pricing and maintain the long product cycle they've been keeping up on the mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.