Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intel Inside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Apple's White Macbook has been updated world wide, with 2.0GHz processors, 2GB of 677 MHz DDR2 RAM and NVIDIA's GeForce 9400M Integrated Graphics chip

airglow

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
I'm still in the dark, whether I should buy the white or the aluminum one. As it's gonna be my first mac. :confused:

CharlesX

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2008
Faster (1066 MHz) FSB & 9400M surely make-up for those lost 400 MHz:rolleyes:

But it still only uses DDR2 RAM with a 667 MHz bus, so the faster FSB means very little.

I'm still in the dark, whether I should buy the white or the aluminum one. As it's gonna be my first mac. :confused:

Get the aluminum. It's durable as hell and the multi-touch trackpad makes everything easier. It has DDR3 RAM so it's not crippled like the white. It also has the LED backlit display and is completely recyclable, though I suspect it won't be needing recycling for a very long time. This thing feels like it could last 6 years on a useful life. I'm typing on one right now. It stays clean and is easier to keep looking new. Get the aluminum! You won't regret it.

JavaWizKid

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
I would buy neither simply because they BOTH have horrible screen viewing angles. The screen quality is just so poor for the price of the notebook!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Me thinks, it was a better buy before when it had 2.4Ghz CPU. Funnily, Apple seems to think it's better to put slower CPU's in it's products.. speaking in terms of the MacBook White

GHz doesn't always mean better performance. There is a lot of other factors other than just clockspeed.

And why would the low entry MacBook White need a really fast CPU? 2.0GHz is fast enough, especially now it is kitted out with the 9400M.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
GHz doesn't always mean better performance. There is a lot of other factors other than just clockspeed.

And why would the low entry MacBook White need a really fast CPU? 2.0GHz is fast enough, especially now it is kitted out with the 9400M.

I'm not saying I need another, I already have one thanks. I originally purchased it cause it's small and compact plus I like the white finish.. besides, brushed aluminium wasn't out back then.

To be honest without you, having a fast GPU in a machine so small is rather useless considering, the most intensive task my machine ever does is download emails from the server... something even the intel chipset can handle.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'm not saying I need another, I already have one thanks. I originally purchased it cause it's small and compact plus I like the white finish.. besides, brushed aluminium wasn't out back then.

To be honest without you, having a fast GPU in a machine so small is rather useless considering, the most intensive task my machine ever does is download emails from the server... something even the intel chipset can handle.

Eh? Where did I say you need another?

And having a faster GPU is useful. Just because you don't do anything much doesn't mean other people don't see having the 9400M a big bonus. Especially with Snow Leopard around the corner and the promises of OpenCL.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Eh? Where did I say you need another?

And having a faster GPU is useful. Just because you don't do anything much doesn't mean other people don't see having the 9400M a big bonus. Especially with Snow Leopard around the corner and the promises of OpenCL.

I should be the one saying "eh?"

So your saying, the upgraded MacBook White is actually faster cause it has a dedicated GPU? Sorry, that doesn't make sense to me. You know the 9400M isn't a GPU so to speak, but a chipset with an integrated video similar to the previous offerings by Intel? Chances are it's cheaper compared to Intel.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I should be the one saying "eh?"

So your saying, the upgraded MacBook White is actually faster cause it has a dedicated GPU? Sorry, that doesn't make sense to me. You know the 9400M isn't a GPU so to speak, but a chipset with an integrated video similar to the previous offerings by Intel?

Sorry - I assume English isn't your first language? My original post said that clockspeed isn't a true way of measuring performance or speed. There is many other factors to take into account.

And no, I didn't say the MacBook White will be faster because it has a dedicated GPU. The 9400M is an integrated solution. But it is a lot faster than the Intel chipset.

And you missed my point about OpenCL with Snow Leopard. It isn't going to make things 100x faster (as an ignorant poster claimed once upon a time), but it will certainly help.

If you don't understand any of that, then I'm wasting my time talking to you..

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Sorry - I assume English isn't your first language? My original post said that clockspeed isn't a true way of measuring performance or speed. There is many other factors to take into account.

And no, I didn't say the MacBook White will be faster because it has a dedicated GPU. The 9400M is an integrated solution. But it is a lot faster than the Intel chipset.

And you missed my point about OpenCL with Snow Leopard. It isn't going to make things 100x faster (as an ignorant poster claimed once upon a time), but it will certainly help.

If you don't understand any of that, then I'm wasting my time talking to you..

Why would you assume english isn't my first language?

Personally I don't think the offset of a slower CPU (ok it's only 100Mhz but..) and a more efficient chipset makes for a faster machine... it just doesn't add up.

I didn't miss your point about OpenCL with Snow Leopard, i Just happen to think it's a while load of unproven rumours. Everyday,
I see people talk about Snow Leopard, yet no-one has seen nor heard anything regarding beta (well, i've not).

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Why would you assume english isn't my first language?

Personally I don't think the offset of a slower CPU (ok it's only 100Mhz but..) and a more efficient chipset makes for a faster machine... it just doesn't add up.

Everyone's talking about Snow Leopard, yet no-one has seen nor heard anything regarding beta (well, i've not)

I assume English wouldn't be your first language because you are not understanding anything I say, outlined by your "eh" comment - you aren't understanding what I've said and are drawing conclusions miles from what I said.

Slower clockspeed, but what about cache and other things? And it isn't just a more efficient chipset, the 9400M GPU is much much faster than the previous Intel one. So it is a much more capable machine. It'll handle video intensive things much better, and playback H.264 High Definition content much better (since it'll use GPU decoding rather than CPU decoding).

And you are aware of http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/ webpage and what OpenCL even is?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I assume English wouldn't be your first language because you are not understanding anything I say, outlined by your "eh" comment - you aren't understanding what I've said and are drawing conclusions miles from what I said.

maybe we're thinking about different things?

Slower clockspeed, but what about cache and other things? And it isn't just a more efficient chipset, the 9400M GPU is much much faster than the previous Intel one. So it is a much more capable machine. It'll handle video intensive things much better, and playback H.264 High Definition content much better (since it'll use GPU decoding rather than CPU decoding).

I dunno... I still have my doubts about a faster system bus, slower processor makes for a faster system..

And you are aware of http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/ webpage and what OpenCL even is?

Oh...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.