Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forrie

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
In iOS 17, iPhone 15 Pro, if you disable "Wi-Fi 6E Mode" (ie: from Automatic to Off), it just re-enables it. Had some unrelated issues with this bandwidth and Netgear Orbi, but we discovered that this option just gets turned back on. Not sure why.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I forgot about that little trick. Great for techy people, but who knows what 802.11x means? "802.11x (WiFi 6)" would have taken a macOS dev about 15 seconds to do.
Well to be fair they only started calling it wifi 6 relatively recently. It’s been named after the 802.11 working group its entire existence before then.

At least they don’t call Ethernet 802.3 eh.

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
I think my Ring camera is the only thing connected to Wi-Fi and that only uses the 2.4 GHz band. My PC, MacBook and Apple TV are wired.

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
Ubiquiti U6E Enterprise AP does not work well with MacBook Pro M2 on 6Ghz. Finder times out with NAS SMB shares. Same issue with Ventura and Sonoma. On 5Ghz with same AP, it is fast and works every time.

leicaman

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Carlsbad, CA
My TP-Link Deco XE75 Pro 6E mesh router allows users to dedicate the 6GHz band for backhaul between routers. Devices are not allowed onto the 6GHz band at all. That should be a way to avoid this issue as well.

gund1234

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2022
are we supposed to upgrade our Access points every year now ?
I am still using Apple WiFi routers.
these people are releasing new standard every year.
Just like 5G, most people don't have access to 5G yet.
Ethernet cable is the best, WiFi can never beat wired connection.
and 10 Mbps is more than enough for most people.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
My TP-Link Deco XE75 Pro 6E mesh router allows users to dedicate the 6GHz band for backhaul between routers. Devices are not allowed onto the 6GHz band at all. That should be a way to avoid this issue as well.
That is exactly the system I have and the setup I mentioned above. I have not tried to isolate and figure out what the throughput on that backhaul is, but it seems fast enough.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Ubiquiti U6E Enterprise AP does not work well with MacBook Pro M2 on 6Ghz. Finder times out with NAS SMB shares. Same issue with Ventura and Sonoma. On 5Ghz with same AP, it is fast and works every time.
My MacBook doesn’t support 6E, but I don’t have any issues with my UniFi U6E on my iPhone 15 Pro or when I have tested it extensively on my Windows Desktop (desktop is wired so uses 6E for SMB multichannel).

It might be settings you have.

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
My MacBook doesn’t support 6E, but I don’t have any issues with my UniFi U6E on my iPhone 15 Pro or when I have tested it extensively on my Windows Desktop (desktop is wired so uses 6E for SMB multichannel).

It might be settings you have.
Same here. iPhone 15 Pro and iPad 12.9 6th gen, both work exactly as expected. Only the MacBook has the problem. It has been wiped and reloaded and exhibits the same issue. I also have a couple of HP ProBook 450 G9 laptops. Both have the upgraded Intel AX210 and they work with 6Ghz without issue as well.

It has something to do with the MacBook Pro for sure.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Apple needs to bring back the airport extreme router
Why? Are there not enough WIFI router products on the market for you or does everything need to have an Apple logo on it?

While many people think the Airport was the best thing since sliced bread, I had nothing but problems with them. Good riddance I say.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Why? Are there not enough WIFI router products on the market for you or does everything need to have an Apple logo on it?

While many people think the Airport was the best thing since sliced bread, I had nothing but problems with them. Good riddance I say.

I guess people have different experiences with Apple Airport routers. I myself have very good experience: both my Extreme and Express worked flawlessly for years. My 12 year old Extreme still serves my garden for WiFi and my brother still uses my 13 year old Express which I gave to him.

subnetwork

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2023
Any article about Wi-Fi 6E should mention that WPA3 is a requirement. If you enable the 6GHz radio on the AP, but still do not see the Wi-Fi network being advertised, the very first thing you should do is ensure you have either WPA3 enabled, or WPA3 Transition Mode enabled.
A very important point about transition mode...you'll likely have some clients that must be reconnected to the Wi-Fi network. You'll have other clients that won't connect at all.
A better solution is to create a WPA3 only SSID, allow it to advertise on 5 and 6GHz, and use that for your 6Ghz capable clients and those which support WPA3.
Wi-Fi 7 will also require WPA3, so if you don't do the work now, you will be forced to in the future.
Finally, one last point. Just because you *CAN* enable a 160MHz wide channel, doesn't mean you *SHOULD*. An 80MHz channel will provide the best compromise of capabilities and airtime for your clients. I personally run 40Mhz channel widths, because I prefer the lower noise floor.

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
Well, the other thing is if you have mesh and the ability to use a wired ethernet port into one of the 6E nodes, I recently replaced my old Velops after one failed and bought the Velop Pro 6E 3 device kit. A bit of fiddling around cloning the ISP's MAC address for their router and plugging into the ONT direct on a 1 gig service and I'm pretty happy in my study upstairs from the parent node connected to the ONT. BTW, the 6E wifi is providing this link, there is no Ethernet backhaul to the Parent node only straight out of the 2019 27" iMac this result came from to the node in my study. In my scenario I bought a 3 node kit for 6E for about the same advertised price as a single Wifi 7 device.. given my broadband speed and the fact that the Velop ports are 1GBit anyway (not sure about the Wifi 7 devices) I think I chose correctly.
Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 20.08.26.png

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I guess people have different experiences with Apple Airport routers. I myself have very good experience: both my Extreme and Express worked flawlessly for years. My 12 year old Extreme still serves my garden for WiFi and my brother still uses my 13 year old Express which I gave to him.
My experience with TP-Link is similar. Literally never have to reboot them. Excellent range. I bet if Apple sold something similar, it'd be 3x the price. No thanks.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Well, the other thing is if you have mesh and the ability to use a wired ethernet port into one of the 6E nodes, I recently replaced my old Velops after one failed and bought the Velop Pro 6E 3 device kit. A bit of fiddling around cloning the ISP's MAC address for their router and plugging into the ONT direct on a 1 gig service and I'm pretty happy in my study upstairs from the parent node connected to the ONT. BTW, the 6E wifi is providing this link, there is no Ethernet backhaul to the Parent node only straight out of the 2019 27" iMac this result came from to the node in my study. In my scenario I bought a 3 node kit for 6E for about the same advertised price as a single Wifi 7 device.. given my broadband speed and the fact that the Velop ports are 1GBit anyway (not sure about the Wifi 7 devices) I think I chose correctly.
View attachment 2312193
I'm really confused with what you wrote. What device w/6E did you run the test on where you got 910Mbps?

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
I'm really confused with what you wrote. What device w/6E did you run the test on where you got 910Mbps?
In my case I had an iMac 2019 with a wired ethernet cable (Gigabit capable) going into a Velop Mesh node and across Wifi 6E to the parent node connected to the ONT. So tha iMac isn't 6E capable but the backhaul to the main router was over 6E.

Reactions: DEMinSoCAL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.