Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azspeed

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2016
Are you serious? How can they void the warranty for that? it's a an issue on their end, lame!

This would be a evil prank

TheHorrorNerd

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2015
Hes 9, And I think Apple should be fixing this free of charge. The shouldn't have an option in the standard setting menu that basically says 'Brick phone here' and 'Pay Apple ransom to fix'! IMO

Yeah ok...
How about you take some accountability fro the bricked device.
Apple didnt brick it for you.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Yeah ok...
How about you take some accountability fro the bricked device.
Apple didnt brick it for you.
You used a functionality that Apple provided you. Just because it's something 99.9% of people don't do doesn't change the fact that it is a built in functionality of iOS that Apple gives you.

kdarling

macrumors P6
It's unbelievable that anyone would say that Apple should not fix devices bricked by this bug for free.

Imagine if setting a microwave oven's clock to 00:00 bricked it so it was unusable.

Or if setting your car's digital clock to 00:00 bricked the car's computer and you couldn't start it.

This is just bad programming, along with all the other date/time bugs iOS has had (especially around the New Year). You'd think by now they'd realize they need to vet all their date code.

Reactions: jamezr

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I honestly don't see this as being an issue. Why would anyone ever need to change their date so far back? There is absolutely no logical reason to do so.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I honestly don't see this as being an issue. Why would anyone ever need to change their date so far back? There is absolutely no logical reason to do so.
Wherever the reason, the bug shouldn't be there, and should be fixed (as Apple is doing), and those who experience it should be able to get Apple to fix their device for them.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
It's unbelievable that anyone would say that Apple should not fix devices bricked by this bug for free.

Imagine if setting a microwave oven's clock to 00:00 bricked it so it was unusable.

Or if setting your car's digital clock to 00:00 bricked the car's computer and you couldn't start it.

This is just bad programming, along with all the other date/time bugs iOS has had (especially around the New Year). You'd think by now they'd realize they need to vet all their date code.

You think setting the time to 1.1.1970 on your iPhone is like setting the time on a microwave to 0:00? Really? Wow.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Not responding to the problem ASAP. This time bug had been going on for a long time...and now they just responding with a fix?

You apparently do not know much about obscure software bugs, how they are reported, and then corrected by the manufacturer.

It makes no difference how long it has "been going on." The clock starts when a bug has been reported by a customer, verified, and understood. It is only when Apple (or any other company) knows there is an issue that a fix can be implemented and distributed.

If it takes a year or two before somebody tries setting the date on an iPhone to January 1, 1970, discovers there is a problem, and then reports it to the press, how would Apple respond with a fix any sooner?

I'm going to die laughing if you believe that Apple, or any other company, is aware of all obscure bugs that could possibly occur at the time of a product's release.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
What's the problem? Take your idiot brother to the store, let Apple do what needs doing, and make your brother pay. (There are also claims that the problem fixes itself if you wait until the clock is back in positive territory, which might take 8 or 10 hours if you are at the US west coast).

OMG! It's an OS bug! Are you seriously advocating that people now have to pay to fix a device due to a bug in iOS?? This is nuts !

Apple needs to unbrick the device for free, if the cause is an iOS bug.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA

I'm saying Apple should not fix your phone for free if you INTENTIONALLY brick it. Are you planning to intentionally brick your phone? Then you should pay to get it fixed.

If you accidentally do it then it doesn't matter to me if Apple fixes it for free. But go try setting your phone's date in settings. There is a spinner, and setting the year is not an option. You have to spin the dial through every date between now and January 1 1970 to get there. It's not easy to do it by accident, and it's a pain to do it intentionally. You have to REALLY want to brick your phone to do it, and who is Apple to undo something that you wanted so badly to brick it that you went to so much trouble to make it happen?

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK

To be honest, who in their right mind would change their date and time so far back? If they had some mental problems I think Apple should replace them free of charge without hesitation. If they are of sound mind, Apple employees should point and laugh at them. Every candle comes with the option to put your finger into the flame, do you think the manufacturer should pay for the treatment? Or would you say, that just a fool would do such a stupid thing?

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
You apparently do not know much about obscure software bugs, how they are reported, and then corrected by the manufacturer.

It makes no difference how long it has "been going on." The clock starts when a bug has been reported by a customer, verified, and understood. It is only when Apple (or any other company) knows there is an issue that a fix can be implemented and distributed.

If it takes a year or two before somebody tries setting the date on an iPhone to January 1, 1970, discovers there is a problem, and then reports it to the press, how would Apple respond with a fix any sooner?

I'm going to die laughing if you believe that Apple, or any other company, is aware of all obscure bugs that could possibly occur at the time of a product's release.
I didn't say a year or two, did I? who knows.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Why would anyone set his / her phone to the wrong date?

Is it because s/he lives in Colorado?

Are you saying there's not a problem with iOS being bugged filled lately?

TMRJIJ was simply saying what the problem is, NOT what you claim it is.

You would probably blame Ford for your car being dead when you moved the transmission lever to R while doing 60 MPH.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm saying Apple should not fix your phone for free if you INTENTIONALLY brick it. Are you planning to intentionally brick your phone? Then you should pay to get it fixed.

If you accidentally do it then it doesn't matter to me if Apple fixes it for free. But go try setting your phone's date in settings. There is a spinner, and setting the year is not an option. You have to spin the dial through every date between now and January 1 1970 to get there. It's not easy to do it by accident, and it's a pain to do it intentionally. You have to REALLY want to brick your phone to do it, and who is Apple to undo something that you wanted so badly to brick it that you went to so much trouble to make it happen?
The question is are you doing it through something that isn't supported or allowed by the device? Seems like you are doing it through the very options that are available and nothing more. If dividing by zero is not something that yields a mathematical answer, would it be OK if any calculator would just completely stop working and the manufacturer wouldn't help you get it back in working order if you tried to divide something by zero on it?

Reactions: kdarling

jordalex

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2016
Hes 9, And I think Apple should be fixing this free of charge. The shouldn't have an option in the standard setting menu that basically says 'Brick phone here' and 'Pay Apple ransom to fix'! IMO

Why does everybody expect Apple to create the people proof, week long battery, never shattering device? At what point do people take accountability for their own actions, and those of the people they allow access to their devices?

The answer is likely to be never because it's easier to blame others.

Reactions: TheHorrorNerd

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
Apple should prevent idiots from doing idiotic things with their hardware?

That's why many people buy idevices. How many of us know well intentioned, otherwise intelligent adults that otherwise do something terribly wrong on desktops? The fear of breaking the system somehow was a huge barrier for desktop computers for some people. Some older generations just stayed away completely.

There was a local ipad workshop for seniors run in my town. When they were basically told that they didn't have to worry about that stuff, they clapped. It has changed the lives of those people.

I don't frown on that anymore. These lives of those seniors were greatly improved by Apple making something "idiot proof".

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Why does everybody expect Apple to create the people proof, week long battery, never shattering device? At what point do people take accountability for their own actions, and those of the people they allow access to their devices?

The answer is likely to be never because it's easier to blame others.

well its a feature Apple provides. its not like they threw it on the ground and it "surprisingly" shattered

Reactions: kdarling

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Strange.

Just for fun (weird, I know) I decided to do this on a spare iPad here at work. After resetting the time/date to 1/1/1970, I powered down and successfully rebooted; no bricking. Oddly enough, the time and date was still on 1970 and I was able to put it back to normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.