Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bionictony

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
I AM SOOOOOOOO MAD!!!! Do not buy plastic macbooks. Every other product is fine, but not the plastic macbook. I like apple, BUT, Apple will not stand by their product when it develops hairline cracks from normal usage. They consider it cosmetic and will not replace it. I have had these for a few months and finally had the time to make an appt to take it into their stupid bar. They have replaced others before but have deemed not to cover it anymore. AppleCare says the same thing. It is cosmetic damage, the hardware is working so they will not cover it. This is according to apple store personnel at the Brea, California location as of Sept 1, 2009.

I have these cracks from normal usage. Always kept in a neoprene case and NEVER DROPPED. Bought in Dec 2007 and AppleCare does not expire until Dec 2010.

It makes me more mad to read forum threads where people have SIMILAR problems and get new macbooks.. or easily get replacement casings. There's NO SERVICE at the so called genius bar. I'm only speaking about the Brea location and this specific event. I've had good service in Pasadena and London regarding my other mac products.

Anyone that works at apple want to chime in? Steve Jobs, are you there? Anyone work in tech in the back at the apple store? Any authorized repair agents on this forum?

DSC02502.jpg

DSC02503.jpg

DSC02506.jpg

DSC02508.jpg

DSC02509.jpg

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
they just magically appeared from "normal" usage? What is your definition of normal? Pretty strange. If I were you, my concern would now be that those cracks will continue to get larger.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Call AppleCare phone support. This is known issue. I've had mine replaced twice. At one point, 1/2 the trim on the casing in your first picture just broke off.

For whatever reason, the plastic just breaks down. My MacBook (black) is a Early 2007 model.

bionictony

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
AppleCare said the SAME THING. They will not cover cosmetic damage. What should I say? Is there any specific wording to use?

My definition of normal use does not include abuse. I set it on my desk. It goes into the neoprene case before it gets into the back pack. Backpack has additional padding and space for a laptop. I do not toss my backpack around. When I'm out and about, I take it out of the case and always place it on a nice level dry desk.. at starbucks, library, the hotel, etc.. never abused.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
they just magically appeared from "normal" usage? What is your definition of normal? Pretty strange. If I were you, my concern would now be that those cracks will continue to get larger.

I have heard of this issue but I mean 'normal usage?' My wife has had her white macbook since 2007 and it has NO hairline cracks what-so-ever. It's a bit dirty and I clean it regularly and there are scratches but no cracks in the plastic at all. Believe me, I check especially since I know how she is with electronics.

She also dropped her MB (I heard it fall from downstairs and it hit pretty hard) and still no cracks. That's the only time I actually heard it drop no telling what else I'm not knowing about, but it's still in real good shape.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
The font edge of my Macbook did this too (aged 2 years and a bit) - the plastic where the two little protrusions from the top edge of the screen rests (or is it where my wrists rest - or both) just started splitting and a 1mm x 1mm x 30mm piece essentially 'rubbed' off.

Applecare replaced the plastic top of the bottom of the case (if that makes any sense) but ALSO put a new keyboard and trackpad! No complaints there!

bionictony

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
I don't throw it around or anything. That's the thing. I do not know why these cracks happened.

I will try to take it to Pasadena or Irvine apple store. I'll see how the service is there. But I won't be able to do it for another 2 weeks. And I can't just bring it in because these are high traffic stores they probably won't have time for me.

nathan1281

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
My sister in-law had hers replaced. Her hard drive died and she called applecare and asked if they would fix the hard drive under the warranty. She also asked that since they would already have the computer could they please fix all the cracks in it. She had the exact same ones in your pictures and also had some on the top rim around the edges. They never said whether they would fix it or not but the computer came back looking brand new. No cracks. They even gave her a larger hard drive than what she sent the computer in with. This doesn't make any sense whey they would stop fixing this problem. It is clearly a issue with the material they used.

Good Luck!

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
Applecare replaced my plastic MB with this UB MB....i had a failed fan, cracked top and bottom cases and in the end a failed hard drive.....

And to the people who assume that everyone mistreats there computers....i looked after mine like a baby, and the case still cracked !!!

Keep on at Apple until they fix or replace the computer.......

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I don't throw it around or anything. That's the thing. I do not know why these cracks happened.

I will try to take it to Pasadena or Irvine apple store. I'll see how the service is there. But I won't be able to do it for another 2 weeks. And I can't just bring it in because these are high traffic stores they probably won't have time for me.

If you're willing to drive to Irvine, I'd recommend going a tad more to the Mission Viejo Apple Store. For AppleCare (and everything else) I've found it to be superior to Irvine or Fashion Island. Never been to Brea.

bionictony

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
All these people that had theirs fixed, where and date? I've been rejected as of Sept 1 from the Brea, CA apple store.

rKunda, I'll make the visit to Mission Viejo, It's kind of near my work. I call that place ticket city, because there are no U turn signs and cops lurking at every corner waiting to give a ticket!

razor-sex

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
Manchester
My HD got busted so I went to apple and while I was there I asked if they could give me a new case and they did. I think they gave me a new keyboard as well. seems to me they wont replace it on it's own but will if some thing else wrong with it.

Magnet + HD = Profit

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
My 2008 Macbook had the exact same issue, my local Apple store was questioning myself and my partner about it's daily use, and where it was used, as we explained to them it lives on a stand at home, or a desk at work.

I had mine taken away, and returned a week later with a new shell.

razor-sex

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
Manchester
My 2008 Macbook had the exact same issue, my local Apple store was questioning myself and my partner about it's daily use, and where it was used, as we explained to them it lives on a stand at home, or a desk at work.

I had mine taken away, and returned a week later with a new shell.

So if you said you use it every day and take it to work. They wouldn't fix it! It a Notebook not meant to live on desk.

bionictony

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Come on guys, let me know the dates of when they were replaced. They said they used to fix the problem, but not anymore! Plus I have apple care for more than 1 more year. That's the big problem I see.

Zeus86

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2009
New York, NY
Apple has fixed my Blackbook 3 times because the top case kept cracking. They are known to have to this issue so I don't why they said it can't be fixed, especially since you have Applecare!! I just got mine fixed about two weeks ago.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
My top case was replaced about two weeks ago for similar issues, just call Apple Care, tell them what the issues are, they will give you a case number, if they try to claim that it's not covered, point out how expensive the laptop is and that numerous other people have had it fixed by Apple, then take that case number to an Apple authorized repair center, personally I like MacMall, because they are a block away from my work and get the job done in half the time it takes Apple to do it.

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
I had my white MB for 7 months when it started cracking......i had Applecare so i dident get it fixed until i could spare the laptop, so that was about 13 months in......and it got done no questions asked...

Maybe Apple have started a change of policy regarding cracked whitebooks, now calling it "cosmetic" and refusing to fix it till you kick up a fuss......

bionictony

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
OK, my second attempt at calling Apple Care, I was talking to this guy that sounded like he was from India. He knew about the macbook crack problem and sent me a box to ship it to Apple to fix. Great. I get to avoid the commute to and from the apple store to get my macbook fixed.. plus I also avoid the wait to get called at the stupid bar. Great service so far. We'll see what happens when I get my Macbook Back. I'll work on my backup iBook until then. It should take 5-7 days from the day they receive it. I'm guessing everything will take about 2 weeks from the day I send it in.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Really? That much hassle?

My girlfriend rang up the Apple Store near her stating the problem and they told her to come in and they'd replace the top casing, took it in, they looked at it, had the casing in stock, 2 hours later, new top casing was installed.

I was damn impressed with the service to be honest.

bionictony

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
I too, called the local apple stores and the operator said you would have to make an appointment to come in to have someone look at it. I could not talk to someone at the stupid bar.

Who is the highest person at the apple store? I spoke to a "manager" who did nothing about the problem and repeated what the guy said in the first place. I didn't think he was a manager. Seemed too young. Between 24-28 years old. Is there a number call and file a complaint against a store manager? Thinking about my experience gets me mad again!

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Hopefully you get this fixed. If not, you could always DIY. It would make a nice weekend project. I'd be happy to take it off your hands, too, if you don't like my idea ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.