Apple Wireless Keyboard/Mouse or NON-Wireless?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jason2811, Jun 11, 2007.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I've had my Macbook for a year now and I'm going to buy a 19" Samsung display for it soon. I wasn't sure if I should buy the Apple Wireless Keyboard/Mouse or the NON-Wireless versions? I've read some reviews and I've heard some bad things about the wireless ones. What do you guys think? How are the wired ones? Which would you recommend? Thanks.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Can't comment on the BT keyboard, but I've had the BT Mighty Mouse since it was released and have been very happy with it. Always re-connects after sleep with one click. Also, the laser tracking is noticeably more precise and forgiving of surfaces than the conventional red LED used in the wired MM.

I got 6 months out of my last set of lithium AA's (a pair) and hardly every turned it off (just let it sleep).

3. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

BT KB is a hit, might mouse is a skip.

at times i hookup my laptop to my LCD TV, the BT KB comes in handy and integrates very well with OS X. the only thing is that it tends to suck up batteries quite fast.

on other hand, i'd recommend you to try out the mighty mouse in person before getting one. i've had one and it gave me cramps. the way to "squeeze" the buttons was just weird, and that little scroll ball thingy was a pain to use. i ended up getting a mouse BT instead.

4. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I have the BT keyboard. As far as keyboards go it is very good. Responds well and the battery life is pretty good (better if you turn it off after use). I don't really like the feel of an external keyboard, I would much rather use my laptop keyboard, but the BT keyboard is still nice.

6. localghost macrumors regular

I have the BT mighty mouse and keyboard for about 6 weeks now. Battery is down on bar (of five) for the keyboard and none for the mouse. It works about 90% of the time, just sometimes it would keep dis- and reconnecting – but I’m using an external BT-stick, maybe that’s the problem.

I’ll be going back to wired versions when am near my g5 and just use them as secondary input with my projector - I would say if you can wire it, wire it, but that’s just my 2c.

7. ironic23 macrumors 6502

I've used both the bluetooth MM and keyboard from Apple. About battery life, the bluetooth MM only gave me approximately 3 months of daily usage with 2 batteries in them. Now, with rechargeable batteries i only get about 2 months with 2 batteries in it. Tracking wise, it is pretty accurate. Personally, i like the scroll ball thing but the mouse isn't as ergonomic as other mice i've used.

The keyboard's a must buy i would say. The batteries in there lasted more than a year! The feel is good and its aesthetics is well, just sublime. The only gripe i have is that it gets dirty and traps dust/crumbs easily.

Good luck with the decision!

8. Digitaljim macrumors regular

Digitaljim

I've had a BT Apple keyboard for about a month now and have had quite a few problems. It's been unreliable for both my Vista machine and my Powerbook. Often I've had to swap it out for a wired keyboard.

Not the best £40 I have ever spent. It does look good though.

I haven't used the wireless Mighty Mouse, but the wired version was terrible. I spent £25 on a Microsoft Laser Mouse (6000 model, i think) and it's a million times better and goes well with Apple's aluminum look.o

All in all: stick with the wired versions or get 3rd party wireless. My 2 cents.

9. totolad macrumors member

Go for the wired version! I have had two wireless keyboards and mice, for my iMac and my MBP and they are both doopy. They are really good when they are working but sometime they are a real pain because they suddenly start to stop working for no reason.

10. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

My BT M/Mouse has been fine. I don't like the squeeze motion but love the scroll ball enough to get over it.

I only use 1 battery at a time with another in my laptop bag. This way when it runs out I can pop another one in. I also like the reduced weight.