Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This does explain how they went from having a lot of free cash 2 months ago to not have enough yesterday. I wonder what this means for Apple's future use? I.e. do they intend to source sapphire for the Watch from someone else, or are they just looking to protect their position by calling the loan early and letting the company restructure under Chapter 11. You'd think that if Apple intended to expand their relationship they'd have extended the loan.

shokunin

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
This will eventually be a classic "case study" in a management class of what happens when you take big risks and put all your eggs in one basket. Oops. Another case study in contract law about the T&C's and out-clauses. Another Oops.

I doubt they will emerge from BK. Even if they do, they will be slaughtered with the lawsuits that will follow.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Doing business with Apple is pretty poisonous.

And there it is. We had to wait until page 2? Back in the day we could get a solid troll in the first couple comments.

Duh, using miners is 20th century tech. Apple is using a massive herd of repurposed truffle pigs to sniff out the sapphires... :eek:

Best comment in days! Glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read this.

Last edited:

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
This is what happens when Apple tries to be nice and brings production back to the States. If this venture was done in China we would have sapphire in the new iPhones and Apple Watches no problem. Mac Pro supplies were tight for how long? Just face it, manufacturing in the States is not a sound business decision.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I think it's pretty obvious that Apple struck a deal with SpaceX to capture sapphire-rich asteroids, bring them into Earth orbit, launch the truffle pigs into space as astronaut miners, and then ship the sapphire back down to Earth on a space elevator.

PIIIIIIGS IIIIIIN SPAAAAAAAACE!!!!

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
not sure what Apple was thinking.. it should have been obvious that Sapphire was an inappropriate material for large structural use.

No other manufacturer was interested in using Sapphire when Gorilla Glass was just fine.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Doing business with Apple is pretty poisonous.

It is not poisonous, you have got to deliver! If Apple had relied on them for the iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 Plus supply chain and they could not deliver, the debacle would have reached epic proportions! I can see so many complainers and whiners, Wall Street Analysts, Journalist, Bloggers, and Investors losing their minds! Samesung would be ready to pounce! :mad:

----------

Haha right next you're going to tell me diamonds are made from coal

Um, sapphire used in iPhone (for outer camera lens and Touch ID) is synthetic.

So is this synthetic sapphire similar to the cubic zirconia process for diamonds? :confused:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Hard to trust anything anyone says until the BK drags the skeletons out of the closet.

Of course there is always making this current drama with sapphires, bendgate, etc. into a Mythbuster's episode.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Consumers are the ones who lost out. We have to wait another year or more now to experience a superior screen.
If a certain man was still alive he wouldn't have let them fail this close to launch. His no nonsense ideals and no excuses for failure business model is continuing being watered down until there will be nothing left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.