Apple won't exchange my iPod Touch which has Light Leaks?!?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Botoxopfer, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Botoxopfer macrumors newbie

So I've saw a few Threads here with people who have Light Leaks on their iPod Touches and they got them exchanged.
    So it would be nice if some who had Light Leaks would tell me, how they got their iPods exchanged...

I bought my iPod of the online Apple Store but they said it is only a minor problem and would be set under "fair dealing" (I don't know the English word but the german word is "Kulanz")

Any help is appreciated.

PS: Would it help if i go to the Apple Store in Munich and would try to replace it there? And can I even to that?

2. mchad macrumors member

You should be able to replace it at any apple store, I would ask to talk with a manager

3. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

If you have an issue, I'd keep trying at multiple Apple stores until you get the result you want.

However, the whole thing is beginning to come to a point, which I knew it would eventually. The exchange policy of any Apple device is getting much tighter due to all of the bozos and perfectionists who don't have issues, just think that they do, return things 6-7 times, and they ruin it for the people who actually have legitimate issues.

Perfect example is with the iMac screens. All of the other manufacturers of products with LCD screens (Sony, Samsung, LG, etc.) put an end to the nonsense long ago. You ask for more than one LCD screen replacement from Samsung, and they will tell you to take a hike. Apple is not too far from going the same direction.

4. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

Perhaps you are being too picky? (ie, that's why the staff said it's a "minor problem". some people can find fault with nearly flawless products, so just because you feel the light leaks are worthy of an exchange, not everyone would agree.

5. Crigger540 macrumors member

Crigger540

I have light leaks. I put a case on my touch. Non-issue.

6. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

I first had my original iPod touch. It had about a millimetre of light leak. A Genius gladly exchanged it. The replacement had a big light leak, as big as the lockscreen clock. This Genius didn't know what a light leak is, and spent about 10 minutes searching on his MacBook. Then told me they normally don't replace for this issue(maybe because they found out it was jailbroken? it was stuck in the apple logo when I tried the Erase iPod) and probably thought I was a perfectionist freak. This replacement luckily had a small light leak.

7. Botoxopfer thread starter macrumors newbie

@dave1812dave

If I buy a product which costs 300€ I want it to be perfect. If EVERYONE would have that issue then I would keep my iPod but I know there are iPods out there which don't have that issue.

@mchad

Thanks! I hope it helps if I talk to a manager.

8. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

@ Botox, versuch dein Glück in München, da wir nur 3 von den Läden haben sind die immer voll und "rabatz" sehen die nicht gern. Die werden dir sicher zuvorkommend helfen wenn du bestimmt aber höflich auftrittst.

Told him to be nice ;)

9. Botoxopfer thread starter macrumors newbie

@iPhysicist

Aber kann ich da auch meinen online gekauften iPod umtauschen(also online bei apple)?

Asked him if i can exchange my online by apple bought ipod there.

10. The Man macrumors 6502

If you bought it at the online Apple Store in Europe, then you may return the item within 14 days, no questions asked and free of charge. Just call the Apple Store. Do not call AppleCare, because they will only do repairs. Call the Online Apple Store to have them pick up your purchase for a refund, with the reason that you are simply not happy with your product. Then later, order the same item again, or buy it at any other store.

11. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

Exactly my opinion. I have never heard of light leaks before the 4g. If I buy a 64GB iPod touch, it better be well manufactured.

Schöne Grüße nach München.:D

12. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I agree. I've heard of 1 time before the 4G of light leaks.

13. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

therein lies the problem--you are a perfectionist. There are products that literally cost 1,000+ times the cost of an iPod and they also aren't perfect. Adjust your expectations or live in misery. your choice.

14. (Andrew) macrumors newbie

Apple definitely should exchange it or give you a refund. I returned my 32gb 4th generation one at Target today because the battery life sucked. I explained my problem at the customer service desk, and then the associate handed me the $299.99 + tax in cash just like that. No questions asked. Then I went back to the electronics and purchased the 8 gb model instead, and also got the new shuffle for using at the gym. The battery on the new touch is still at 100% right now, about 2 hours after I got it set up. VERY pleased with customer service at Target. If you're planning on purchasing a new iPod, I would recommend you get it there instead of Best Buy where no seems to have time for you and they don't really care because they only make $5 on each device.
    -Just some thoughts

15. Botoxopfer thread starter macrumors newbie

@(Andrew)

Thanks for the reply but in Germany there are no Best Buys or Targets.

16. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Have you yet tried to talk with the manager of the Apple Store?

17. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Agree 100%

18. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

I would try the apple store in Munich if you can. Otherwise if you have not yet call apple at 01805 009 433. I had to call them go get some help with my iPhone and they sent a driver to my house and overnighted the phone to the Netherlands and then overnighted a replacement back to my door. I would just let them know that there is a problem with the display and it needs to be repaired under warranty. They should just take yours back and then send you a new one no questions asked.

19. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

The problem actually isn't because he is a perfectionist. The problem is the sense of entitlement that says that Apple (or any company) must sell them a device that lives up to their standard.

There's a difference. A perfectionist would buy an iPod with a light leak and determine that the device does not live up to their standard and return it and look for an alternative device. (they wouldn't exchange it because of the overwhelming reports of light leakage) The entitlement person would return it and continue to exchange devices ad infinitum until they receive a device that lives up to their standard.

20. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

we just received a new touch from Amazon, for my wife. It has several light-catching scratches along the metal edges. big whoopie. once I put on the silicon sleeve those TINY IMPERFECTIONS are out of sight and out of mind. really, you people with OCD need to get some therapy (unless you LIKE being miserable).

21. unb3k4nn7 macrumors newbie

It's very stupid to call him a perferctionist if you don't know how severe his problem is.

I bought my Ipod at Gravis in Germany and went there with tiny light leak + sharp edges on the Ipod. They gave me 3 of their Ipods which all had the sharp edges and had bigger light leaks. They said i could get a refund or exchange it for another one which would probably have the same issues. So i kept it because I love it anyways and just wanted to check if mine was a bad one.

So my tip is to just compare it to other ones, if you've got a really bad one they'll probably exchange it.

22. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

No, but it's stupid of you to be calling ME stupid when you can't spell "perfectionist". Also, "iPod" isn't written as "Ipod". Now go away and educate yourself!

23. Botoxopfer thread starter macrumors newbie

@dave1812dave

Didn't you read what he wrote? He said he bought in a Gravis store in GERMANY which means HE'S from Germany. I'd like to see you writing in a different language without making mistakes.

@unb3k4nn7

Thanks I'm going to compare if mine has relatively small leaks.

@All
    Call me perfectionist if you want, but that doesn't help me. :rolleyes:

24. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

ah, I see all you anal perfectionists are closing ranks. why not get a group rate with a shrink (maybe go to Germany for the sessions. I lived in Germany for over three years--it's a beautiful country. I'm quite sure you will love it over there)

25. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

First of all, there is WAY too many insults in this thread. Teaching people how to spell things is not the purpose of MR or this thread. Please refrain from such. I am not trying to tell anybody what to do, just trying to help the Mods in preventing such. And if you don't stop you can be permanently or temporarily banned.

Second of all, Botoxopfer, you realize you can quote people? It's far easier than to write @<insert username here>. :)

Third of all, I don't understand what your problem is Botoxopfer. Do you want to know if you can exchange for light leaks or if the light leaks are a big deal? Past all the insults, I'm not sure.