Apple won't help me, what to do. (LONG)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zorahk, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zorahk macrumors 6502

So I sold my 2.53 GHz macbook pro to buy a 2.93 CTO for 8gb of ram. Easy enough, I thought. I ordered it on April 03, 2009.

So I get the machine, and I want to put in my seagate 7200.4 500gb drive. I ended up SOMEHOW stripping the torx screws. (I think my bit was bad). No problem, I thought. I'll head over to the apple store and have the manager there who I know order me the screws.

So, the screws are ordered, and in the meantime, I notice that there is a problem with the computer. The rubber gasket around the screen is noticeably uneven, which causes the computer's lid to be uneven when closed. (SEE PICS IN THIS THREAD FOR SIMILAR ISSUE: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=656539)

So, I can't return the computer without the screws. No problem I originally thought, as they said I would have the screws in 3 days, and that they would call me when they're in. The return period is 14 days, and 14>3.

3 days later, still no call. I call the parts manager at the store and he says they got the screws but they're the wrong kind. He says he will order them again and he does so. I was angry he didn't call to tell me this, why did I have to call to have him do it?

So, more days pass and it seems implausible that the screws aren't there. I call and they tell me they're in. If they're in, why didn't they call?

I go into the store, and they're in all right, but they're the wrong kind again. They told me there is nothing they can do about it. They keep getting the wrong kind from the parts warehouse. They said all they can do is just order it again. I verified personally that the parts number was indeed correct, so this seemed bizarre.

By this time, I was outside of the return period and frustrated with the poor service. I shouldn't have had to order screws 3 times, and so I paid $20 to order them from a price gouging reseller online. The apple store still hasn't gotten the right screws, and as far as I know they are still placing orders.

So I got the screws from the parts dealer, and I put them in my computer. The other day I made an appointment at the genius bar to see if I could get my lid fixed.

So the guy at the store "Jonathan" says he will ask if they can fix it. He goes back, and then he comes back saying that they can't fix it because it's a "cosmetic problem" and "some other computers have it". So I ask if he can show me a computer in the store with the same issue. We walk all around the store, and low and behold after checking every single one none of them have the same issue. Mine is so bad you can actually flex the screen by pushing down on the spot where the gap is. So he kinda dodges the fact that none of them have it, and I proceed to explain very politely that for 3,000+USD for a top of the line 15" MBP I expect a certain degree of build quality. He says okay, let me see who I can ask.

So while he's in the back, the other genius at the bar that night, Jeremy, who I know on a first name basis (he knows my name too), says he wants to take a look. He looks at it, and then proceeds to say "How does this make you feel?" I said "It's disturbing to find on such an expensive computer." He says "This is a cosmetic issue, apple is not prepared to pay to repair this, it will just cost us too much" or something like that, even though it came to me that way. So I said "Well I will wait for Jonathan to come back out, he said he was asking." Jeremy replies "I am Jonathan." I say "Excuse me?" He says "For the purposes of this I am Jonathan." I was shocked. He then proceeded to go into the back room, I believe to tell Jonathan to stop in his attempt to persuade them to fix it. I think Jonathan really wanted to help.

Jonathan and Jeremy come back out, and Jonathan says "Well we talked in the back room, and the consensus is we won't fix it. You're asking us to replace the part and we don't want to do that." So I explain to him how frustrating the whole thing with the screws was and how I shouldn't even have had to go through this. Finally, he reluctantly takes pictures of the unit and "escalates" my case to tier 2. He says they will call me when they make a decision. I don't know if tier 2 will be any kinder, however.

I need to find a solution to this problem. I don't want it to adversely affect resale value, or for something sharp to get in the gap and scratch the screen while I am carrying the computer. For someone who has spent $8,000~ in the past 9 or so months on apple products, I feel like I should be treated better than this.

What should I do? I thought of emailing sjobs but I don't think such a high up address would be necessary for cosmetic issues, I thought it was for if you are really getting screwed.

Suggestions welcome,

Matt.

2. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

3. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Is there another Apple store nearby that you can go to? Some Apple stores are more helpful than others.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...why don't you call the tier two CSR yourself?

5. pavenger macrumors regular

I would email jobs himself, as well as any other executives at apple. Tell them that you have been a loyal customer and that you have bough many products from them and that you want to be treated fairly. There is no reason that guy should have been such a doucher to you. if you buy a car and the hinges don't hold the hood down even why would you have to put up with that? I would never be okay with someone from apple treating me like that. I have been buying their computers for far too long.

6. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

sorry to hear that. try another apple store maybe?

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

man how you didnt punch Jeremy in the face when he said that he was Jonathan at this point is beyond me:mad::p

but seriously you make it sound like you know these guys on a pretty friendly level (with the whole they know your first name and you theirs) i would think that they would be more willing to help you. but i like the idea of calling tier 2 cx service yourself. these guys sound like total cloaca's (look it up if you dont know the word may make you laugh)

8. zorahk thread starter macrumors 6502

I do know them on a pretty friendly level, but overall the apple store can be hit or miss regarding cosmetic issues. It's corporate policy to not fix it, but considering it's partially their fault I expected more help.

How can I call tier 2 service myself? Would that resolve the issue? I already have a ticket (repair form) saying that this has been put in to tier 2, and I did see Jonathan submit it, but maybe I should call them? Is there a number available?

If I was going to email sjobs, how would I send this story with enough detail but abrupt enough so that they read it. I know they like it short but there's too much backstory here. EDIT: I sent it, it's kinda long, not that bad, but long. I listed the title as "Apple customer of 15 years needs help."

Here is a pic of a computer with the same problem as mine, although it's not my computer as I only have a crappy iPhone camera to work with at home. But the issue is identical.
    [​IMG]

More advice is needed to how I should go about calling/emailing etc. Also I need to be clear, I don't want a replacement, I don't want any compensation for time lost or for me having to order the screws. All I want is for them to fix it. Period.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just hold you lid in the corner that's not lifting up and take the other side and bend it towards you slowly.

10. zorahk thread starter macrumors 6502

If you read the thread you would realize that it is caused by an uneven rubber gasket, which what you suggested will not fix.

11. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I don't think there's much more advice on how to go about the issue with the service that anyone could give you, as you seem to have done what can be done in that regard. If they don't fix it, you have to put up with it, like it or not. It's their policy, they have a right to do that, no matter how unfair it may seem to you.

One thing you could try is take your macbook and carry it in to all the apple stores in your area with your receipt and hope to catch one of the people there on their good day. Some have had their computers fixed for a cosmetic issue, many have run into the same problem you have. If that was me, that's what I'd do next, before I accepted my fate.

12. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Did you ask for the manager? A lot of these "Geniuses" are real jerks. Most are arrogant and act like they know everything, but I think we could get more common sense from the average MR member.

I personally wouldn't brag about damaging the screws. I personally don't know how that could happen. It just seems way off. Like were you using a screwdriver instead of torx or wrong torx side? To me, this spells bad news right from the start. I would have bought a new one had this happened, and swapped the screws just to take it back within the 15 days for a new one or refund given that scenario.

I would like to see the cosmetic problem too.

Best wishes with it. Sad we all have to deal with jerks when we pay this much for our Macs. Apple should have the best quality control in the world with these prices, yet it seems Apple is repeatedly selling us more JUNK and not living up to its promises to us.

13. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Seconded. For the premium price we're paying we should be getting premium quality control.

This especially goes for a product that is sold to us at a premium for its 'gorgeous design'. It should figure that we'd be upset about flaws that hamper our enjoyment of its design, but when something like that does happen, all of a sudden we're encouraged to see it as a machine only, and as long as a machine works, it's fine. In that case we should be able to ask for out 'design premium' money back ;)

14. assassinm4 macrumors member

i'm surprised that you can remain polite after these all happened to your macbook pro and being treated like this by the morons .. opps. sorry, i meant geniuses.

15. zorahk thread starter macrumors 6502

I was using the right torx but, but my cheapo bit was damaged a bit I think. That's really irrelevant, and I never told them I damaged the screws, I just asked to order a new set for my drive but they never actually were able to do a seemingly simple task.

I already posted a pic?

being rude wouldn't have gotten me anywhere.

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think it's due to an uneven rubber gasket, I think it's due to the metal parts of the screen that don't fit together properly. just fold a piece of paper so it's a couple mm thick and put it in the center of the screen when the lid is closed so it's sticking out near where the trackpad is. Then take a couple of books and place them on either side and wait an hour, it'll be bent to more or less the proper shape.

17. zorahk thread starter macrumors 6502

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I ready the thread, but I had that issue as well. I just flexed my lid and it fixed it. I'm sure you mean the rubber gasket as in the reference to the rubber that borders the display lid right?

19. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

Actually I found quite the opposite, though I perhaps wouldn't say 'rude' as such. Previously if I had a problem with a product I'd practice complete restraint, talking at normal volume and accepting the tedious conditions offered by the often arrogant salespeople to get my problem 'sorted'.

However, after talking to a friend who used to work in sales I discovered that, apparently, certain companies train them to take advantage of the meekness most customers display when they have a problem.

This knowledge in hand I started a new strategy.

The next problem I had with a product, sure enough, required this strategy. The 'customer service' representative tried the usual tactics (blaming me, backtracking after an explanation, saying it was policy that they couldn't do anything, etc.). Basically I just put loud emphasis on what the problem was, quoting their documentation on returns and mentioning how disgusted I was with the service.

No one in sales wants someone doing this in front of all of those prospective buyers. With one exception I've always got my repair, refund or replacement since. (The exception was in PC World, who must be so used to dissatisfied customers; I was in a queue of 20+ people with complaints I suppose).

Now as for your problem it's a real shame. As others have said I'd probably contact someone higher up in Apple's management or try another store.

I've seen a few screen repair offers online which aren't too badly priced, though I don't know what the cost might be in where you are... While I'm not suggesting you go for this immediately, it might be a reasonable last resort.

20. gjw4u macrumors 6502

OP why not give Apple a call and see if they might be willing to help.

21. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

Another Poke in the Eye

A poke in the eye. That has been what I felt EVERY time I go to the Apple store for service. But if you call in to the phone support line, they treat you much better.

It is an hour drive for me to visit either of the two Apple stores in my area. One thing you must do, if you go in, is to get as many facts as possible before you go it. Get the names of the people you talk to, and write down notes on what is said. Ask for email confirmation of what is said. Get it in writing, because when you get there, they will not be so nice. Or they will want you to leave it for a few days, or something completely different from what was discussed.

I was told I didn't need an appointment, when I asked for one repeatedly. Then I was told I had to leave it because I didn't have an appointment.

The GENUIS Bar is run by Idiots.

I elevated one issue to a manager. I just wanted to swap an under warranty airport express. I was told they had to test it. Then they told me I'd have to come back--2 hours round trip, and then they basically said I was a dumb ass and was not using it properly. Then they told me these devices were very vulnerable to interference---not a problem with any other brand I use like Linksys. It was one piece of ******** after another. They agree to mail it back to me, and then wanted me to pick it up. I now have a new one, after 10 minutes of yelling at the manager he caved in.

So I don't even want to open up the new item. I want to sell it on eBay.

22. poozer115 macrumors regular

poozer115

This is actually a very good idea. You'd think they don't read their mail, but they do. Both times my dad wrote to them he got a personal apology letter and free computer. Write well and maybe he'll do the same for you xD!

23. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Rude and assertive arnt that same thing. I agree that you are being too passive here. If someone wont/cant/doesnt want to help you solve a legitimate problem you talk to their boss about both your problem and your experience with the previous employee. Repeat as necessary until either your problem is fixed or Steve himself has told you off. :)

24. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

You could order another CTO through apple and then swap the screws from the new one to the old one. Kind of drastic, but it would get you what you want in the end. Hopefully there wouldn't be a restocking fee.

I agree on the geniuses. I had to make an appointment to get my headphones replaced on my iphone. This was when they were 2 months old, so it had to have been in warranty and all they had to do was plug it in. Nope, I had to wait for "20" minutes, which turned out to be 40 and then all they did was hand me another set.

Good luck OP.

25. zorahk thread starter macrumors 6502

I think in that case there would be a fee but that would've been a good idea.

Yeah, the black rubber around the display. How should I be flexing my lid specifically to fix it then? You seem to know more about this than I do. It's hard to describe, but the rubber in the middle of the display by the part where you open it is "bigger" than by the edges, so it flops to one side causing the other side to lift up.

I have to be honest, I was maybe a bit too nice to them in the store. But because I go there so much I didn't want to ruin my reputation at that particular store. I am hoping that the level 2 ticket or the email to jobs will get a more positive response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.