Apple won't replace third faulty MBA with a Pro; what to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JerTheGeek, Aug 10, 2014.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hello all
    I am seeking some advice on this issue I'm having with my MBA. As recorded in another thread, I have had this horizontal line that appears and then disappears on the display. The first Air I had received two repairs that didn fix the issue, so Apple replaced it. But this Air had the same issue, so after many calls to AppleCare trying to convince them that this was indeed a hardware issue, they finally agreed to give me a refund which I used to get a 13' Air; this Air has the same issue. SO, now I am stuck with my THIRD Air with the same issue. I am trying to get Apple to replace it with a Pro. However Apple says that they won't replace it outside of the product line, they would just give me another Air. I don't want to get a fourth air with the same issue; so at this point shouldn't Apple just replace it with a MacBook that doesn't have the issue? Any suggestions on what I might be able to do to get this resolved, to possible persuade Apple to replace it with a Pro? An AppleCare advisor before I got the second replacement told me that they would replace it with a Pro if the second replacement didn't work, but he must be the only one who thinks that way. Anyway, what should I do????

2. Nee412 macrumors 6502

Ask for a full refund, then put the money towards a Pro?

3. zunairryk macrumors regular

I think he just wants to get a MBP replacement without having to add money on top

4. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Yes this is what I would like to do.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Why would you think that you are entitled to a MBPro because you Air does not work.

Please explain !!

6. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Because I have had three Airs with the same issue; a replacement Air isn't going to do anything because I have already had three with the same issue; and the two repairs on the first Air didn't work. If Apple really wants to fix the issue, the only way to do so is to replace my Air with a Pro.

7. mbdownunder macrumors newbie

mbdownunder

The most you are entitled to is a refund of the MBA purchase price.

8. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

You aren't entitled to a more expensive item, you can ask them if they will give you a refund and then buy a Pro.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Of which they will be glad to do if YOU pay for the difference.

Your "entitlement" mentality makes no sense. :(

If you buy a Ford F150 truck and it does not work you can return it to get fixed and even have lemon laws to allow you to return the vehicle, but no where does it imply you are "entitled" to a Ford F250 because you F150 does not work.

I can not even think how you think you should be entitled to a MBPro:p

10. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

But this is my third Air. If Apple really wants to solve the issue, how many faulty Airs do i have to get as replacements? Eventually if they really want to fix the issue they will have to replace it with a pro, or else all I'll get is Airs with the same issue.

11. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Get your full refund back with the Air, use that money to buy a Pro and pay for the difference. You honestly think a car dealer is going to give you a ferrari for a honda civic? Get real. :rolleyes:

/end thread. Seriously, just stop.

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Apple does want to solve the problem. They give you two choices. Refund or exchange. Can you imagine what it would be like if the rumor got out that you could trade your defective device for a more expensive one at no charge.

You need to sit down and think about this as it make no sense. You are not going to get them to replace your Air with a Pro no matter how much you try. In Apple will get to the point that they will no longer replace your Air and force you to take a refund or keep what you got. In extreme circumstances, Apple can and will blacklist you and stop from any future transactions at Apple stores.

Give it up.

13. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

I'm not sure where you're based, but in the UK, you're entitled to a replacement (of equivalent item), repair or refund. Since you're unsatisfied with the replacement option, the best you could hope for is a refund, bearing in mind that it's likely to be a pro-rated refund.

Apple don't owe you a MacBook Pro. They owe you a fixed MacBook Air. If it still doesn't work, demand a refund and put the money towards a MacBook Pro.

I suspect you've just been very unlucky with regards to getting three dud MBAs in a row. If there were some big problem with the 2014 MBA, I'm pretty sure we'd have heard of it by now.

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

I think :apple: should replace my mac mini with a nMP.

15. cmaier macrumors G3

This is a bizarre way to think. If you buy a Chevy Spark and the windshield wipers don't work, and they replace them and they still don't work, and they give you a replacement Chevy Spark and it has the same problem, do you feel you are entitled to a Corvette for free?

16. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I agree 100%. But thinking like this is becoming more and more common these days.

17. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

I have not encountered any company that would give any customer an "upgrade" to the next product line because of issues. The best thing that they can do is to do a refund - which they did, and yet you still purchased the same product line.

So unless you are willing to pay the difference, Apple is not obligated to give you a PRO.

18. cmaier macrumors G3

apple's been known to replace with an upgrade, but primarily in situations where the original device is no longer available. But, yeah, what a sense of entitlement.

19. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

This could be your 100th MacBook Air. It does not absolve the fact that the MacBook Air is a less expensive machine than the Pro no matter what. Which Pro are you trying to get? Just take the refund and put it towards the Pro, pay the difference like any normal person would, and live happily ever after in love with your new MacBook Pro. Am I missing something?

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

JertheGeek this is what i think you should do:

Go to :apple: and explain that it caused you a lot of trouble because three mba were faulty in a row.

Ask them nicely if they would give you a small compensation like:
    • a free small uprade (ram/cpu) on your next exchange
    • an itunes gift card

As I know :apple: they might actually do this out of courtesy.
    Be aware that they do not have to give you anything except a repair or exact replacement.

Asking for a much more expensive, different device is way too much imo.
    Still, nothing wrong with asking nicely :)

21. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

22. 2IS macrumors 68030

I'm going to keep buying Toyota Corollas and hope to get an issue they can't resolve... I'll then demand they replace it with a Lexus LS.... Originally I was going to ask for an LFA but I believe they discontinued those.

23. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Thanks for this advice, I'll try this.

24. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

I'm PISSED My Chevy Cruze has been the shop three times now. GM refuses to give me a Corvette even though I feel I deserve it for pain a and suffering. What should i do?? Either the "issue" is normal operation, in your head, or something no one has started a thread about a unfixable issue with all Airs. Nice try though.

25. cmaier macrumors G3

Yeah, that's the second weird part of his story. Certainly possible that he's had the same problem over and over, but it doesn't seem very likely unless there's a consistent issue with them, and no one else seems to have reported it.