Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zubikov

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
PA
Cash is king people!
Is it though? It sounds nice when you say it, but that's not very smart.

Would you buy a house with cash? Plenty of banks are willing to lend us $100s of thousands at ~2-3%

Why would you spend cash when you can pay off your credit card each cycle and get 2 - 2.5% cash back without lifting a finger?

Do you save all of your money in cash? We're at an annualized 5% inflation, so next year your $100 will only feel like ~95 today. Why not put your money into i-bonds and get paid the rate of inflation at a minimum?

It's just terrible advice to tell people cash is king for everyday situations.

camsoft

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Brighton, Sussex, UK.
Really surprised there's no mention of the very popular services Klarna & Clearpay in this post.

Those services, particularly the former, have taken over to some extent in the UK and appear on checkout screens of many an app or website.
I was thinking exactly the same. These services already exist and are pretty massive in UK. They also don’t affect your credit score. Though doubt Apple are targeting UK market given they still don’t have Apple Card outside of US.

macrumorsuser10

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah, credit can be an impressive force multiplier when used correctly. Actually having a million dollars cash is an even MORE impressive force multiplier, but far more people will be able to have 1 million dollars credit than actually have 1 million dollars cash.
Having a million dollars in investment assets is an even more impressive force multiplier.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Iceland is all credit cards like the United States. Germany still loves their cash and is probably 50/50. There is no such thing as pay at the pump for fuel in Germany.
i think you're overestimating how non cash the u.s. is. i've seen maybe a handful of place that don't accept cash, and there are still loads of places that are cash only.

Reactions: Jovijoker

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
Ooooh! I hope this actually happens! I use Affirm all the time and have a great relationship with them giving me very low interest rates, so far no one else has been as good as Affirm so hopefully Apple can be!

kmann1983

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2018
Yay! More Credit Card Debt! Last thing I need.
I'm not opposed to this style of debt, if it's more of a "pay within X amount of time" where X is a reasonable number.
The problem with most credit cards is you can end up paying decades on debt that, otherwise, would be paid off WAY faster through a normal loan.

So if it's "pay in four months with 15% interest" that's not HORRIBLE and will make many more things affordable without tanking the future -- which is the problem with credit cards. They get a ton of "free" money for a VERY long period of time -- which in turn limits how much frivolous spending we can do which.. in turn.. hurts the economy.

And this is a very big problem that we're keeping under the rug because it's a tough thing to answer. Poor people are taken advantage of because they often have little choice. Need those expensive medications? Off, doesn't that suck but hey, pile on that debt! Or die. But suicide is bad. So pay up cowboy. This is just ONE field of troubles we're building that our children or grandchildren will suffer if we don't correct..

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I like installment payments plans that are tied to 0% interest and use them when I can as it allows me to husband the cash to earn interest in the interim while still ensuring I am able to pay off the debt on time.

If this is only available with fees and/or interest charged, then I will not be...interested.

Reactions: icwhatudidthere

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
We have a really weird debt-driven economy and I guess Apple is trying to take advantage of it. And why not because if not them someone else will.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Cash doesn't give me cash back and doesn't give me purchase protection.
Have to agree. If you don't carry forward a balance then it's by far better to use credit than debit.

Personally my wife and I use platinum Amex's which easily pay for themselves and give us a ton of perks. Their fraud protection is excellent and prevented a lot of headaches, debit cards are great but you can run into big problems if they are stolen/skimmed, they also don't have any bonuses.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Am I missing something ?

What Reward OR Reward(s) will they offer ?
Well see, they'll charge merchants 5%, and then they'll just keep it to themselves.

This is Apple we're talking about - the company that made taking a 30% cut for doing approximately nothing an industry standard.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Afterpay is growing quickly over here, and I note that they have teamed up already with Apple Pay so that you can buy something, and the four payments (through Afterpay) come from Apple Pay. There are plenty more companies doing this all over the world. It's only logical that Apple should offer the service directly. Personally I'd certainly trust being able to do the whole thing through Apple rather than give my details to some shady third party on the way, if I were the sort of person who would use it.

Reactions: gonsawa_

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
Is it though? It sounds nice when you say it, but that's not very smart.

Would you buy a house with cash? Plenty of banks are willing to lend us $100s of thousands at ~2-3%

Why would you spend cash when you can pay off your credit card each cycle and get 2 - 2.5% cash back without lifting a finger?

Do you save all of your money in cash? We're at an annualized 5% inflation, so next year your $100 will only feel like ~95 today. Why not put your money into i-bonds and get paid the rate of inflation at a minimum?

It's just terrible advice to tell people cash is king for everyday situations.
I think there’s quite a difference between buying a house where you then have some real estate that’s supposed to work as guarantee for your debt and then buying some gadget for money you don’t have.

That you can get 2.5% back for buying with a credit card is just sick. Who is really paying for that you think? Poor people who’s only option is to pay with credit? Your self through other fees? The shop in fees to the credit card company? Of course you would be a fool not to take that money if you can, but it’s still sick that you allow such a system.

• Disagree
Reactions: Shirasaki and nattK

magicman32

Suspended
Dec 25, 2007
Unless it’s gonna be free money up-front like PayPal’s interest-free pay it back in 6 months I’m good. If they can beat that (doubtful), cool. Otherwise, I’m good. I use it even if I don’t need need to. Keep more money in my pocket for as long as I can? Thanks, see ya in 6 months.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
In order to have a good credit card around and have features like cash back you have to have cash or else the bank won’t be approving u :)
Having cash doesn't necessarily mean you are credit worthy. Banks will want to see a history of credit being paid back before approving you for the more lucrative cash back cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.