Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
That's not even debatable! Fiber is much cheaper than copper.
[doublepost=1470350304][/doublepost]

Fiber cheaper than copper?? That's news to me. The guy who installed fiber internet to my house told me how expensive the fiber is and how he can't understand why the service is fiber outside the house and changes to copper inside the house, which defeats the purpose a bit.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Wow. Fantastic! Amazing! Now how about a new Mac mini or a new Mac Pro or a new Mac Monitor or a new item no one has thought of (oh yeh Steve is no more, so that ain't happening) Something, anything other than this crap!!!!!!!!!

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Fiber cheaper than copper?? That's news to me. The guy who installed fiber internet to my house told me how expensive the fiber is and how he can't understand why the service is fiber outside the house and changes to copper inside the house, which defeats the purpose a bit.

Fiber is much cheaper. Copper cables have no chance, because the material, copper, is expensive.

But copper is already in place, companies got to milk the cow.

Of course they change from fiber to copper inside your house because you have a copper installation and copper equipment, and not a fiber.

I have an actual optical cable coming to my living room, and then another box I don't know what it does, that outputs to another optical cable, to a box that finally converts to useful copper interfaces (Ethernet that has Internet + IPTV service, Aerial line for TV's that don't have the IPTV box and a RJ11 telephone)

WaltCD

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I like Apple TV, and having a one-click sign on would be amazing.
However, having Amazon Video would be the end-all. That is the only thing I wish for to complete my Apple TV.

PotatoLeekSoup

macrumors regular
May 10, 2015
Texas
The Siri searching through apps function is handy, though this sounds like a better way to, ultimately, since you browse the whole set of apps.

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
I mean, why CANT Siri sort through my own library?

Well right off the top of my head, I would say, "Because she doesn't live at 'your' house.

Siri is an internet based search/information service. How is she going to know what is on your home server unless she indexes it each time you ask her to do a search (which would be slower than molasses on big libraries)? If Apple let her do that, 'many' people would be screaming about privacy issues. So don't expect it any time soon. ;)

Me, I'd just be happy if Home Sharing would load faster on my portables. Luckily, Infuse is pretty quick to load video... now I just need to find an audio equivalent.o_O

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
If you think that will be less expensive, I have some prime building lots for sale in the Everglades.....
I never said I thought it would be cheaper. I am willing to pay more if it means I no longer have to switch inputs.

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
That's not even debatable! Fiber is much cheaper than copper.
[doublepost=1470350304][/doublepost]

Oh god... can't you understand that TV = masses?

It needs to be simple, inexpensive and dumb.

Nowhere in the world that that thing would pay itself, people aren't going to "upgrade" their sets to ones with that thing, and without that, TV networks would never produce content for that thing.
What are you talking about? Really, I have no idea what you are saying? :confused:

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
Amazon is free to put the same version currently available for iDevices on the Apple TV. Apple is not forcing them to support IAP. So what's Amazon's excuse now?

Probably that the iOS version is gimped and they want to give users the full fat version other platforms get. I get the full Amazon prime app on my PS4, so Sony are clearly playing ball with Amazon. Apple could do the same if they weren't so bloody minded.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
Probably that the iOS version is gimped and they want to give users the full fat version other platforms get. I get the full Amazon prime app on my PS4, so Sony are clearly playing ball with Amazon. Apple could do the same if they weren't so bloody minded.

It all boils down to...

Amazon wants to make money through the app.
Apple wants its fee.
Amazon doesn't want to pay it (or wants a lower one).
Apple tells them to piss up a rope.
Amazon takes its ball, and goes home.

Simple as that. ;)

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Well right off the top of my head, I would say, "Because she doesn't live at 'your' house.

Siri is an internet based search/information service. How is she going to know what is on your home server unless she indexes it each time you ask her to do a search (which would be slower than molasses on big libraries)? If Apple let her do that, 'many' people would be screaming about privacy issues. So don't expect it any time soon. ;)

Me, I'd just be happy if Home Sharing would load faster on my portables. Luckily, Infuse is pretty quick to load video... now I just need to find an audio equivalent.o_O
Well then how does Plex do it on ATV4? It searches your personal library using voice on ATV4. And its fast.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Amazon wants to be able to access Apple's customers for free. Apple is right to say 'we invested billions to Develop a popular ecosystem and loyal customer base. If you want access to them, pay up!' All the other big players do so and are comfortably making money. Amazon is the one losing out.

rockaw

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2010
The design of the small black brick called AppleTV is excellent. You can easily hide it below or behind the TV. I love the fact that you don't need a line of sight connection to it. The remote, however, it a complete fail. It's just too small, easily falling between cushions on the sofa. Then there's the fact that you can't tell which side is up when you pick it up in the dark. The rechargeable battery is excellent, though.

Apple, take a lesson from your own keyboards. Keyboards are designed to fit human hands, and so should remote controls.
[doublepost=1470406418][/doublepost]The grid of app icons as an interface might look pretty for new users, but it really breaks down fast as a user interface. It's so slow to navigate the screen that you are virtually assured that you'll never watch the channels at bottom of the list.

The best current TV interface for me is by TiVo.
tivo-roamio-pro-software-interface-open-water-1500x844.jpg

Simple scrollable list of channels on the left plus list of what's up next on the right. It gives much more information than the DirecTV or standard cable box style of channel grids.

If Apple insists on keeping the grid of icons, I'd like to see these enhancements:

Option to arrange the icons by name, by recently added, by most used, etc.
Option to change icon sizes
Option to pin selected icons at the top
Make the grid of icons loop after you get to the bottom.

That would be a start.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
The only good thing for this would be "queue up what movies and tv shows from (any subscriptions /provider u have access to) want to play next" (could also be used with Music in the same queue.)

Last edited:

xav77

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2011
This looks like what WatchAid is already doing on the Apple TV, it scans all the content from all the streaming apps, and gives you direct links to the shows/episodes you subscribed to.

Reactions: HJM.NL

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Very nice... this will be a welcomed addition! I'd love to see a guide for what's playing live at the time.

Looking forward to it.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
What's the use of this if it's only US centered, AppleTv could be so much more but until now it offers not a lot to users outside of USA except for a few games and some others Apps.
It's a shame really, I would love to see a local Cable TV App here but until now neither of the providers here is on AppleTv

As the Apple TV 4 over here doesn't support Dutch or Siri, it's useless and I do t even understand why it's on sale. Talking about good experiences :rolleyes:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
As the Apple TV 4 over here doesn't support Dutch or Siri, it's useless and I do t even understand why it's on sale. Talking about good experiences :rolleyes:

None of the Dutch providers have an app on appleTV, you could watch it on ATV if there was a browser on it, but that's not the case.
I heard though that Ziggo has plans, but last time I heard about it is already more than half a year ago.
I bought the 64GB version for a bit less than usual but it's barely used because of the above.
And I will not pay for another subscription for lets say Hulu or whatever is available.

This way it's just an expensive (crap) brick.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
Wow. Fantastic! Amazing! Now how about a new Mac mini or a new Mac Pro or a new Mac Monitor or a new item no one has thought of (oh yeh Steve is no more, so that ain't happening) Something, anything other than this crap!!!!!!!!!

The Apple of now is only intersted in profits and not interested in people like you and me anymore.

I've said it before but this article explains it:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-why-apple-doesnt-care-about-updating-macs/

One day it will bite them and that day will come soon.

btbeme

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010

Siri can play my personal, legally-ripped (and iTunes Matched) music, because Apple has it catalogued via iCloud thanks to iTunes. Apple simply chooses to NOT provide that service for a personal movie collection, and only because they didn't sell me the movies.

I can understand their legal concern for not "matching" my movies (and I really don't want them to, after they butchered my music collection), but the simple accessibility of my movies, photos, music, etc - I would think that would be of paramount importance to a media server. Apple simply screwed the pooch on this one. They have the power to fix it, simply by modifying the software on the AppleTV to allow for unfettered use of the older remote. I wonder if they will. Their track record as of late is sadly riddled with examples of lackluster features, downgraded user experience, and a distinct lack of "It Just Works."

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The Apple of now is only intersted in profits and not interested in people like you and me anymore.

I've said it before but this article explains it:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-why-apple-doesnt-care-about-updating-macs/

One day it will bite them and that day will come soon.

The main reason Macs don't get updated frequently is because of Intel, they are dragging their feet, if there are no new processors then there's no need to update.

Note: ZDNet sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.