Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
I don’t know what a “natural language” update means but it doesn’t sound like it’s going to fix the main issues with Siri, which are that it’s buggy and unreliable

Reactions: nt5672

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
"Working on it" and the like mean that Siri needs to connect to the servers and can't. I'm not blaming the internet here; I find Siri often fails to connect when the internet is fine. Depending on your iPhone model, that may mean that your voice was understood but the query couldn't be handled locally, or it may mean the recognition has to be done on the cloud as well.

This is by all means worth mocking, but it's not really a problem with Siri's logic or response.

Unless you're going through the gully near my house, then it's just ****** internet.
To be honest Siri works just fine most of the time for my use. But on a HomePod not too long ago I asked Siri to set a timer. The responses were “working on it” followed by “sorry I can’t connect to the internet right now” or something like that.

Reactions: maxoakland

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Doesn’t the HomePod run tvOS? Could this be a smart home buff?

Very good observation. I suspect this has more to do with HomePods than it does the Apple TV. HomePod is a Siri device, full stop. If Siri continues to be as bad (and worsening!!) as it is, then the whole deck of cards that Apple is building their smart home play on, falls with it.

Reactions: LeadingHeat

Serqetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2023
The only change I desperately want for Siri is actual voice recognition so it stops responding to Youtube videos that mention Siri. I want it to ignore anything and everything that isn't MY voice. Is that really so difficult Apple?

Other than that, Siri works fine to control my home.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm looking forward to Siri gaslighting and arguing with me like Bing's ChatGPT 4. Maybe she'll also take my web developer/designer job too! I can see where things are headed.

At what point do enough people lose their job to AI that the companies replacing their employees with AI no longer have enough customers to purchase goods and services because their customers lost their jobs to AI? Do we institute UBI or do we let society collapse as everyone dies off and only the rich survive supported by robotic AI slaves?

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

blahblahblah4321

Suspended
Feb 26, 2023
Playlists - can't innovate anymore my ass! Does it concern anyone else that Apple take so long to add such a basic feature? Such a huge lack of common sense in the company.

And AI used for timers? Really!? Just throw Siri in the trash and adopt an LLM. It's already MUCH better.

theinstructor

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
Siri cannot even reliably turn off my lights at night, on HomeKit, much less tell me when a store closes.

“Would you like to know about this one?”
“You will need to unlock your phone and search the web to learn about that topic”

All I need is a Siri that has actually been upgraded or ChatGPT will do…

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Siri Ai.......... Write me a summary of the largest contribution Tim Cook has made to the world of tech.

"I have turned on your bedroom light and the weather today will be sunny with a high of 72 degrees"

;)

AndiG

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
meanwhile MS adds ChatGPT 4 to all applications, so you can tell e.g. Word, Excel or Powerpoint what kind of document you need and it is generated by GPT.

So all Apple users (like me) will look to MS users who simply say „Hey Powerpoint, create me a presentation about robots“ and „Hey Powerpoint, can you make the background more vibrant and add some more information about Boston Dynamics?“

Meanwhile Apple is fiddling around with splitting the iPhone up into even more different models or with deep sea divers like VR goggles ….

And Apple misses the future - agsin

Manuel010180

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2023
Künzell, Deutschland
Hope in the next Version of the TV app there are bigger improvements than the last years. WWDC is coming. So tvOS need it I believe. More than 2 Picture in Pictur. 2 or more side by side. LiveTV and not, when a game like MLS MLB is on air. Or am I the only person in the world who also watch livetv? And what I really miss, why do I need an app, like Disney+, to watch a movie? Why can’t every service support the directly start, like it is with the Apple Channels? I love them! The integration is better than to start an app where I start the show like Disney+, Prime, Netflix etc.

Darth-Kylie

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2009
I ❤️ that sidebars are seen as the solution to navigation issues. Y’know, like they were in Apple’s (and many third-party) apps during the early days of Mac OS X through to at least the late 2000s. Damage done by iOS and dealing with smaller displays that made its way to the Mac?

Reactions: Luke MacWalker

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
meanwhile MS adds ChatGPT 4 to all applications, so you can tell e.g. Word, Excel or Powerpoint what kind of document you need and it is generated by GPT.

So all Apple users (like me) will look to MS users who simply say „Hey Powerpoint, create me a presentation about robots“ and „Hey Powerpoint, can you make the background more vibrant and add some more information about Boston Dynamics?“

Meanwhile Apple is fiddling around with splitting the iPhone up into even more different models or with deep sea divers like VR goggles ….

And Apple misses the future - agsin
You missed that Apple is fiddling around with colours and that's highly innovative stuff.

jay9055

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2018
Bradenton, FL
While you are waiting on Siri to catch up, you can use shortcuts to Call ChatGPT to avoid the dreaded "I can show you answers on your iPhone" response. You can check it out here:

Reactions: aberdeenmeadows
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.