Apple Working on Redesigned Books App With 'Simpler' Interface and Overhauled Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 25, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After changing the iBooks app to simply be called "Books" in the iOS 11.3 beta that released to developers yesterday, a new report out today by Mark Gurman at Bloomberg states that Apple is preparing to revamp the internals of the iPhone and iPad app as well.

[​IMG]

In an update coming in the next few months -- potentially with the public release of iOS 11.3 in the spring -- Apple will redesign Books with a "simpler" interface aimed at highlighting books you're currently reading in a "Reading Now" section.

On the store side of things, Books will gain a marketplace that looks like the new iOS App Store that debuted in iOS 11, tying more of Apple's apps in together aesthetically. There will also be a dedicated tab for audio books.

According to Gurman, this major update to Books is Apple's move to take on Amazon and the Kindle digital book market again. The Books redesign will come nearly five years after Apple and five publishers were found guilty of conspiring to inflate the prices of e-books to weaken Amazon's dominant position in the market.
    In its preparation to fight against Amazon in the e-book market, Apple last month hired a senior vice president away from Amazon's Audible business. The VP, Kashif Zafar, had also previously worked at Barnes & Noble on its Nook e-reader. His new title at Apple is "Global Head of iBooks," and he'll help Apple with "general management responsibility" across the company's global digital books unit.

Article Link: Apple Working on Redesigned Books App With 'Simpler' Interface and Overhauled Store

2. Sephrioth macrumors newbie

3. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

The iBooks store could use an overhaul. Unless you’re wanting one of the trendy books it’s hard to find the specific things you’re interested in. Amazon’s isn’t much better, though, but they have a larger catalog. If Apple did something like Kindle Unlimited but with decent books instead of crap, that would make a difference. Ultimately, though, I dislike iBooks because it’s so hard to transfer the files to another device I might want to use. It’s nowhere near as hard to convert the Amazon books to something I can read on another platform.

4. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

Recent hire, last month, and his title is already obsolete:
    "Global Head of iBooks"

Time to float your resume again, Kashif.

5. Benjamid macrumors member

Benjamid

Really looking forward to the time when kids don’t realize what the symbol is based on like they do now with rotary phones sign next on the side of roads:)

6. Princess Cake macrumors 6502

Princess Cake

Yipee, more white space. If theres one thing we need. White space = Design, just ask Jony Ive.

"The white space is a representation of the user's soul. It is design at its simplest form. The user will see that white space and say to themselves 'well of course its like that, why would it be any other way?' we as designers spend our lives planning the ins and outs of everyday objects, and to me at least... that means white space."

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Lets hope they don't do a Music style makeover of the Books app.. On iOS9, where I am currently stuck, that thing is a piece of confusing madness.

8. iLoveDeveloping macrumors 6502

Ye could you please ‘overhaul’ the crappy Apple Watch store while you’re at it Apple??

9. Cesar Battistini macrumors regular

Cesar Battistini

nope
    --- Post Merged, Jan 25, 2018 ---
    And the save icon witch is a floppy disk auhahuhuahua

10. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Books usually have white pages. At least the ones I have seen.

11. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

It’s long overdue. We have to use windows at work and I would love to access my reference material without bringing in an iDevice.

12. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Can't help thinking about iTunes and how 'simplifying' things means removing useful features :rolleyes:

13. goodcow macrumors 6502a

They're gonna make it worse, like each new version of the Podcasts app.

14. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

The chances of the redesign "improving" the user experience would appear to be exactly zero.

15. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I read a lot of books on my iPhone, so I will be interested to see how this plays out
    I'm not totally unhappy with how it works today, but any improvements will be appreciated

Would definitely like an "update all" button!

16. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

I guess a return to skeuomorphism is out of the question.

If the app returned to how it looked when it launched, I'd consider moving my library to it from Kobo (which even it is largely flat design now). iBooks' skeuomorphic appearance was one of the main reasons I wanted the OG iPad.

17. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

18. hmark8 macrumors regular

While this is certainly good news, I remain cautious it will make much of a difference.

For many of us, we would much rather stay in the beautiful Apple eco-system whenever possible. But for Books, the Apple store is a bit of wasteland, where they don't have all of the books Amazon has and far more important is they don't have the reviews and discussions Amazon does. If I lookup a book on Amazon I can see hundreds or thousands of reviews and quickly know the positives and minuses about the book. With Apple the same book may only have 5 reviews or none, so not a great enough sample to know much of anything about the book. When Apple missed out on buying GoodReads it further sealed their fate.

Apple can continue to improve the UI, keep costs competitive, add new fun features, but people use Amazon for the reviews/community, and Apple can't build that without first having more reviews and a community. Buying something like a Good Reads gives a company a major head start, but currently there are no other GoodReads big enough and Amazon certainly won't sell it.

Books will remain popular for the millions who always use the defaults app, but will lag behind Amazon, unless they truly push getting reviews or other must have features, color e-ink screens, or Amazon maybe sells the business to focus elsewhere.

19. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I have no problem reading reviews on Amazon and buying my books in iBooks :)

20. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

Only buy books from Amazon and Google Play Store. Just order the Amazon Kindle Oasis, can't wait for it.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 25, 2018 ---
    Staying in a wall gardened ecosystem is watiign to be ripped off... It is not only stupid, but also expensive.

21. Phonephreak macrumors 6502a

Phonephreak

Can you import purchased Nook content into iBook

22. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

I also have no problem reading reviews on iTunes, iBooks and buying books, movies, songs on Google Play and Amazon Book Store. Works perfectly cross platform.

23. cloudshift macrumors newbie

Hopefully they'll improve the audiobook usability, and perhaps finally figure out how to remember where you left off listening to books.

24. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

I would like to see:
    A simple check off of books I have read.
    An automatic pop up of every book in a series, in order and with the ones you have read shown checked off.

25. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan