Apple Working on 'Swagger' TV Show Based on NBA Star Kevin Durant

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

You don't seem to grasp the worldwide appeal of the NBA. The [presumably sarcastic] comparison with English football in the 1980s-1990s misses the mark by a wide margin.

2. cmaier macrumors G4

Cherry picking. They won’t use the App Store but they will use Apple Music, iTunes, and the new video service. Services have traditionally supported their hardware sales but that likely won’t be the case forever if the services business keeps growing so fast.

3. ceriess macrumors member

[QUOTE="
    I'm in a tough situation. I basically have to accept that Apple is now doing things that have zero appeal to me and I have to emotionally check out from that. I know new Apple customers don't have that same experience but anyone that's been around long enough to go to 5+ years of Macworld, join a Mac User Group or camp out for Mac OS releases knows that it's a weird feeling when you're no longer the target demographic. Apple the media company and I are going to be in a strained relationship because they're not making things for me and I need to be okay with that.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I say things like "If you can't whistle it, it isn't really music" and I am dead serious.

4. niun, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

niun macrumors 6502a

niun

NBA has world wide appeal? Compared to say football or the premier league?

5. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

Cavaliers could have repeated it. That's why Durant had to put up MVP numbers in the Finals. He was the guy that broke Cleveland's harassment strategy with the shorter Curry/Thompson.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2018 ---
    For American sports leagues, the NBA probably has the biggest reach world wide. Teaming up with Durant in the Bay Area makes sense as a first step. I could see Apple doing something with World Cup/Premier League focus down the road too.

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

This is NOT mass-appeal TV - Eddie Cue has to stop generating content ideas that suck.. Let the ex-Sony execs do their jobs.

7. lah macrumors regular

Agree. I think these type of poor decisions will be Apple’s stumble, not the notchgate or HomePod shortcomings.

8. jedwards87 Suspended

Apple needs to watch some Netflix, Amazon and Hulu to see what good shows are. If this is what they are going to offer they will not be in TV long.

9. MistrSynistr macrumors 65816

Every week there is some Apple show idea and then it's cancelled the week after. lol.

10. AlumaMac macrumors member

AlumaMac

Does Apple Music make any significant profit? I don't know, but there seems to be some consensus that it is more of a loss leader. As far as Apple becoming a service focused company, I don't see them being able to continue bringing in the profits wall street expects without the hardware+services model they currently employ.

11. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

I know nothing, so I could certainly be wrong but...

Apple’s Cue-run “studio” has the look and feel of a massive failure and embarrassment for the company. It’s been clearly mishandled and way far behind from the start.

12. laz232 macrumors 6502

& nuanced views

13. Shaun, UK Suspended

Shaun, UK

Apple TV content is going to be so bland and boring with politically correct content that doesn’t offend anyone.

14. laz232 macrumors 6502

15. PG(Austin) macrumors regular

PG(Austin)

Can they use that title relating to Bball? The Pacers used "Swagger" in their marketing, tag lines and team phrases already. Wonder if they trademarked it?

Either way, so far Apple has not impressed me with upcoming content.
    It's teetering reeeealy close to that now.
    This is what worries me.
    Kevin Keegan...Keegan...Keegan....Isn't he a comedian?

16. corduroygt macrumors regular

But Snakes on a Plane is already available on iTunes

17. nick42983 macrumors 6502

nick42983

I'll be interested if it's called "Shut Up and Dribble!"