Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
The iPad was a fun little novelty on introduction, but the fact is Apple's answer to the tablet form is pretty much a dead cause by now, and the retina MacBook is virtually what we all want the iPad to be. At least, in terms of getting **** done.

Reactions: Wahlstrm

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
they gotta get this hooked up:

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/2...or-3d-gesture-control-on-touchscreen-devices/

Screen-Shot-2013-08-20-at-2.56.00-pm.png

(at least for the picture being shown in the OP)..

it would (possibly) make 3d modeling on an ipad possible.. especially if they can come up with something a little less elementary than the examples in the patent.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
The iPad was a fun little novelty on introduction, but the fact is Apple's answer to the tablet form is pretty much a dead cause by now, and the retina MacBook is virtually what we all want the iPad to be. At least, in terms of getting **** done.

Well how has iOS 9 changed your thoughts on that?

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Much as the large screen of the iPad transformed the iPhone, so a 13" iPad would transform it again.

Even something as simple as reading PDFs would be so much better with a 13" screen. And there are endless scenarios in which having a laptop-size screen that one can carry around will trump a laptop. Weight is the important thing. I think Apple need to keep the weight to 1.5 pounds, the weight of the first iPad, if possible. And if they could reduce or eliminate the bezels, it could be not much bigger than the current iPad.

Not when Apple will charge more than $500. Expect a 13" model to start at $600 maybe even more. A larger iPad will not save the tablet. Apple needs to cram OS X with USB C in the iPad form factor to move units. Not only does that help tablets but it get's OS X in more people's hands. Keep iOS in the current models and OS X in the big boy size.
People are loving Windows 10 over Windows 8. Soon you're going to find full blown Win 10 in sub $100 tablets. Apple better get with the program.

Reactions: geenosr

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Ultimately it's the limiting OS that runs the iPad that's holding it back, nothing an app will do to fix that
Agreed!!
I hate to say it, but Microsoft was 1st with a viable tablet experience for enterprise. Apple really needs to think about OSX Tablet edition. Windows 10 is killer with switching to tablet and laptop modes (finally they got it right) and Apple is absent from the field all together.

All the apps in the appstore can't fix the issue. I somehow can't believe Apple isn't working towards that internally.... but then, I also thought buying beats they'd put decent speakers in new macs too. Even if you dont put beats in the category of decent speakers, it's a million times better than the macbook pro speakers.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
because then you need to carry TWO devices ALL the time. The tablet is fully capable for word processing, spreadsheets, power point.... but have you ever tried doing more than viewing one? You definitely give it the finger.... but not to add text.
That's why we have Bluetooth keyboards. I'm just not getting the mouse thing. You have a fully touch enabled device but aren't using the touch functionality. A stylus is more prominent for this issue.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Having a bigger screen is a no-brainer. What really would help is to have multiple user abilities in the OS. Not having that ability is unbelievable. Well they are catching up to Same-Sung with split screen/multi tasking (about time), so multiple users shouldn't be available for another year? Come on Apple, don't hate that the competition had it first, if you want productivity and businesses to come on board, just catch up to the rest of the tablet world.

The irony is, Apple has patents dating back a few years related to multiuser logins - well before Android supported it. I was so sure Apple was going to support it when they included Touch ID on iPad but I guess that's not a priority for them.

Reactions: geenosr

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Right because you've surveyed businesses and that's what they've told you. Obviously IBM doesn't think so and apparently neither do the 40 businesses Apple is working with in this story.
Ok, so out of the MILLIONS of businesses that DON’T/WON’T buy/run iPads what would suggest it is? Without a survey I don’t reckon he/she is too far from the truth.

Reactions: Avalontor

federico0212

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2015
truth. enterprise customers arent going to be impressed by multiracial emojis and shaving .2mm off the case size. neither will they care for a ridiculous update and refresh cycle. try telling a Fortune 500 they have to retrain their entire staff because Apple completely changed the UI elements. eventually they'll tire and go to somebody who doesnt pull the rug out from under them every 18 months.

You mean what Microsoft does all the time?!?!?!

Businesses stayed with XP because it was better than Vista and was not worth training for. 7 was worth it and newer, and they finally made the jump. 8 scared consumers and businesses away, and you can be sure as hell no enterprise used 8, they always downgraded new computers.

Argument is completely and utterly invalid.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
The irony is, Apple has patents dating back a few years related to multiuser logins - well before Android supported it. I was so sure Apple was going to support it when they included Touch ID on iPad but I guess that's not a priority for them.
Judging by how furiously they seem to apply for these, ‘see what sticks and what we can keep to ourselves’ filings, Apple probably have patents for wiping my arse.

Reactions: Cole Slaw

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
Three things left that I've wanted to see since iOS 1.0 to make it more useful for work:

1- A user and third party app accessible shared file space. Given the OSX guts, it should be trivial to make an iOS version of Finder. If security and stability are concerns, no need to make the entire file system user accessible, just a common storage space for user data.

2- Related to 1, the ability to connect external storage devices (like thumb drives) or connect to a computer and be seen as an external storage device so that files could be copied back & forth to the the user accessible file space.

3- Capability to work with off-screen pointing devices, such as a wired or wireless mouse or trackpad. The Mac based iOS development environment already does this in the iOS simulator, so it too should be a trivial addition.

The current workarounds for these deficiencies are unnecessarily clumsy and hold iOS back from reaching its full potential as a work tool.

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
They could have started by continuing to support the professional use and application they had eg photography through Aperture and made it compatible with the iPad instead of just dumbing it down in Photos.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Yes, let's get all 80,000 people working on it and stop the rest of the business.

Here's the F'in Idiot's Guide to Writing Comments: "Before you do anything else... Blah...blah...blah.."
just wait till you get a surprise...soon :D

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
To use the iPad as a work tool, and anything more than a half-hearted "viewer" of work performed on a desktop, Apple would have to create a "Pro" model, not as a mobile device as previous models have been, but as a creative slate tablet, like the world was briefly excited and then colossally disappointed over when Microsoft couldn't pull it off 15 years ago.

It is not 2002. Don't let 2002's limitations continue to hold back progress. Build the professional tablet: A large 13, 14 or 15 inch display, a wacom digitizer, Intel chipset, and the full OS X experience, WHICH DOES WORK PERFECTLY FINE UNDER FINGERTIP WHEN ON A LARGE DISPLAY.

Don't even pitch it as a mobile device. It's not. It's a hands-on creative notebook that is more portable than a notebook, and more accurate and powerful than a laptop with a mouse. It's what people in every creative field have been waiting for someone to make forever, and apparently only Apple has the ability to properly produce well. ...but won't, because that wouldn't fit with the self-limiting narrative they've filled your heads with up til now.

Last edited:

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I had to give my to my mom after she vandalized hers with make up and all the creams she wears. I had to be a nice daughter and gave her one of the two I had but with such pity for it. Mine looks brand new, I take care of stuff.
u are a good person. i always take care of my apple products...it's just that...for some reason..after upgrades after upgrades...it just burns out...

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
I thought the iPad was always intended to be a consumption device, not a production tool.
The new Apple is now trying to manipulate square pegs into round holes for the sake of moving units, not the intended experience.

Reactions: 5105973

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
wacom, anyone?
Yeah, Wacom keeps getting closer, and perhaps their next model won't sound like a helicopter or start your desk on fire. Superior digitizer experience though. ...but as a whole, they're a ways out yet. Even Microsoft's Surface team doesn't seem to have the engineering resources apple does, because the Surface 3s, for their obvious utilitarian strengths, are still crude and clunky compared to an iPad. ...even those cheap knockoff iPads on ebay exude more quality. The first company that makes a tablet with the utility of a full OS & Passive Digitizer, with the build quality of an iPad, will win.

Surface 4 is due, iPad Pro is due.
Should be an interesting season.

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I thought the iPad was always intended to be a consumption device, not a production tool.
The new Apple is now trying to manipulate square pegs into round holes for the sake of moving units, not the intended experience.

Pretty much. The iPad will continue to go nowhere unless its productivity aspects increase. And I don't mean document processing, but just simply being useful to the average person beyond simply being a bigger screen to watch stuff on.

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
"Well, we noticed it's a bit too easy to discern between text boxes and buttons in your app, so you have your work cut out for you."
I've never understood why Apple thought that was a good decision. Everything in iOS is just too damn plain. I have button shapes turned on, which helps somewhat, but everything is still far too boring. Tons of black and white, the UI widgets are all boring and uninspired, etc.

P.S. If anyone tells me that the new UI is good because it looks "modern", I'm going to skin a cat. Please think of the kitties...

Reactions: melendezest
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.