Apple would have the world if 3.0 looked like this

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stofferdk, Mar 1, 2009.

1. stofferdk macrumors regular

Thank you for taking your time to read my post.

The following is what I think Apple should have implemented long ago, but yet has to be seen - it would make the iPhone at least twice as popular.

Computer software
    iTunes integrated SMS software for browsing, viewing and organizing sms messages. Also one should be able to leave the phone where it belongs, and recieve and send messages from this software. This also applies for MMS of course.

iPhone software
    Official MMS - not a standalone app, but integrated with the current text app to keep it simple and stupid

Official Google powered turn by turn-based, voice powered GPS software. LOCAL map data should be available

Tethering, which could if needed be locked should specific carriers demand this. Unlike in the states, most people in Europe trash their initial iPhone carrier the second the 6 month border is crossed.

Official MM app, with iDisk etc

Copy/Pase

Landscape SMS

T9 sms and mail (for those pref that)

WEEK VIEW IN THE CALENDAR APP, NOW

Design
    Make it all black again, as the first gen iPod Touch. No silver borders please.

Thank you for listening

2. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Do you really want the nice flow of text message 'conversations' to be interrupted by a random picture of some drunk guy your friend thought would be funny to send you because he too was drunk? Personally, I don't.

It makes more sense to have MMS...but not integrate it with the current SMS app. SMS on the iPhone is far and away better than the alternatives on the market at present. MMS would be a nice addition...but it should be a separate app.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Please give it up...:rolleyes:

That would be admitting that they were completely wrong in giving us Qwerty. This will never happen. People who prefer it need to get into this century.

Well, it was never all black, but it looks as though they'll be bringing back the matte aluminum back, so that's a start. The chrome is here to stay.

The rest of your points are completely valid, and I would be shocked not to see them come to fruition in the next major software update.

4. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

I am sorry I was not entirely clear on that.

The MMS should be integrated into the app - but on a seperate tab, not among the standard texting. Makes more sense? because I agree with you

5. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Separate tab would work well. :)

6. Supersonic macrumors regular

Ohhh...someone with thoughts like mine. Bliss!!!

I HATE, HATE, HATE the cruddy full-QWERTY layout on the iPhone, whoever thought it would work on a screen that small wants taken out the back of the shop and shot!

The world and his mistress use T9, predictive, every kid ever can use it faster than you and I can type on the current iPhone layout.

..unless someone knows of a T9 hack that removes, or offers it as an alternative to the QWERTY setup??

7. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

This is the same arguement that MMS is an upcoming technology and needs to be implemented urgently. I prefer the full screen QWERTY keyboard on the iPhone and has been by a country MILE the best full screen QWERTY I have used. With the exception of the Cupcake additions to Android that is. My WinMo devices, even with HTC's skins and additional tools (beats the point!) still can't get the smoothness and speed and reliability of typing to my iPhone.

After using my iPhone for so long now I really struggle with T9, I can type (even full English words!!) faster on the iPhone than T9 on other phones.

So shooting the guy/gal is a little harsh, they did a good job.

Putting the option of T9 is always a good thing...options...but I wouldn't change what they've done to the full screen QWERTY.

8. ibodnano macrumors newbie

Do you mean, apple should proudly announces that the brand new iphone now come with MMS and C&P!

Oh god these are not new, even 3G is not new!

9. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I have little love for T9, but I Would really like to see a landscape keyboard in all native apps and not only Safari.

10. jake921660 macrumors regular

I think it would be better if it was in the SMS conversation, but it only showd a link and when tapped it opens up the picture.

11. punitnaker macrumors regular

Huge assumption.

I type far quicker using the QUERTY keyboard even though I was quick using T9.

I think its a far more logical keyboard and brings into line any other keyboard you use in the real world.

Maybe you just have chubby fingers?

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Is that some type of challenge? :)

13. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

14. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Please no MMS on the iPhone, leave it to the free cheap phones favored by pre-teens.

15. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Hmm it can't be another thread about what the iPhone is lacking now can it? Oh. Yes it is.

16. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

If it was a simple tab within the SMS app(as previously stated), it would harm no-one, but please a lot of people.
    It would also be cool, if the YouTube app had the same functionality as the mobile site(login, bookmarks, comments, ratings, ect) and the iTunes app, synced your podcast subscriptions to(and from) your computer.

As well as all the usual requests: c & p, Bluetooth(stereo and file transfer), etc, etc

17. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I hugely prefer the QWERTY layout of the SMSing.

MMS = no need what so ever. I've had ONE MMS in ~ 3 years.

iTunes SMS control = agreed.

Design = as per iPhone 2G or metal again/polished black.

ANd I would be happy.

18. wizard macrumors 68040

Not all of the world swings your way.

Something to note here, I had to read through this thread to figure out what you meet by T9. One of the reasons I went with a smart phone, iPhone actually, was that I was tired of the crappy human interfaces on most cell phones. Part of that crappiness is directly related to the average cell phones keyboard. So count this guy in as being completely opposed to your keyboard rant.

By the way that doesn't mean the iPhone is perfect either. For some thing Touch doesn't cut it, here I'm think the shutter release for the camera. That really needs a mechanical switch.

No rational person needs MMS!

Even text messaging is a bit of a joke once you realize the screwing the cell phone companies give their customers. It has it's purpose but I just have a hard time paying for something that costs the cell companies zip. So I disabled SMS on my phone. Those that need to message me can use my E-Mail.

In any event one thing to add to your list is a common directory that all apps can read and write files to. Plus it needs to map as a disk drive when hooked up to a Mac. The goal is the ability to save, exchange, read and modify
    files from various apps.

Related; iphone could use a preview app for looking at PDFs and other file formats.

Dave

19. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Was I the only one expecting some sort of screen shots?:confused:

20. rs7 macrumors regular

I expected to see a picture of a phone that would blow my mind away!

21. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

I was expecting a mock-up screenshot of the features you are proposing.

22. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I don't get the obsession with MMS. With the iPhone, I've got e-mail that doesn't require an extra fee. Also, those photos that I e-mail aren't locked to that person's phone. On that note, I've never given a damn about texting. I always considered them a waste of my money.

Another thing I don't understand is the issue with the keyboard. I've tried using the blackberry keyboard. My fingers are too fat. On the other hand, I don't have many problems typing with the vertical keyboard.

If they do tethering, it'll come with an additional $30/month fee. C'mon, you don't really expect AT&T to give this away for free . . . do you? If you do, I want whatever drugs you're smoking. If you can keep your tethering to a minimum (so you don't attract AT&T's attention), jail break has a tethering program.

Another thing jail break provides is copy and paste. Neither of the programs are perfect. However, like half a wing in evolution, they're better than nothing.

23. jeremykyle macrumors regular

I could go with the iTunes integrated SMS. However, the tethering and MMS/C&P seem somewhat useless to me. They are features I would rarely, if ever use.

24. stofferdk thread starter macrumors regular

You go read my post again mate. First of all, the iPhone is not limited to the states. Furthermore, we actually have sane rules in Europe regarding cellphone companies, so we are not bound for several years and ****ed fees.
    As I said, a tethering app would be wonderful, and should AT&T wish to block it, apple could grant that specific block.

Most europeans got themselves new carriers as the 6 month-contract has been fulfilled.

25. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

There's actually some software that will do half of what you're asking for. PhoneView allows you to do several things in accessing the data of your iPhone without needing to jailbreak, including viewing and exporting SMS. No, there's not a means of sending and receiving SMS through the software (yet), but it's better than nothing.

The day we can get SMS delivered to our phone number over wi-fi though, I'm getting that right away! (I work in a building with no signal.) :rolleyes: