Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mohit7886

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2018
Chandigarh
Hello Team,
Today i am going to post against wrost apple service in india because the reason is they make peoples fool with their bad service and untechnical service provider employees in india. They don't know whats the problem is and also they take a long time to troubshoot the problem then they said to me your laptop is fluid damage and is not cover under warrenty. They demanding a huge amonut of money like 35k to repair it. This is rediculas i already paid near about 1 lakh to purchase your product and now they demand more money. I am very dissapoint with that and shocked and i don't what i need to be deal with in that case and how. Now i just want to repair my laptop or replace it.

Attachments

• IMG_9159.JPG
    IMG_9159.JPG
    389.6 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_9160.JPG
    IMG_9160.JPG
    295.2 KB · Views: 253

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Looks like water/fluid damaged which is not covered. What you paid is irrelevant.

Your choices are pay to have it repair by Apple or 3rd party, try to fix it yourself if you have the skills, or buy a new system.

Reactions: HenryDJP

mohit7886

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2018
Chandigarh
Looks like water/fluid damaged which is not covered. What you paid is irrelevant.

Your choices are pay to have it repair by Apple or 3rd party, try to fix it yourself if you have the skills, or buy a new system.
Jerryk i can't pay 35k more to apple because this is huge and my pocket will not allow to do that. So what i do next if you suggest me. Should i go for consumer court?

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
It's water damaged which means it's your fault for letting the fluid go inside. Apple like most companies does not cover accidental damages or user error damages which means the only way for them to get it fixed is by you paying for the necessary hardware service

Reactions: HenryDJP

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Do you have possessions accident insurance?

To me, assuming you did get liquid on it, it's the same as buying a new car, crashing it, then acting confused when the garage says they'll charge you to repair it.

*insert <not sure if serious or troll> pic*

mohit7886

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2018
Chandigarh
It's water damaged which means it's your fault for letting the fluid go inside. Apple like most companies does not cover accidental damages or user error damages which means the only way for them to get it fixed is by you paying for the necessary hardware service
Not that was not my fault. I just wrap up my work and shut down properly and after some time when i start it again its damage. So in that case what can i do?
[doublepost=1538070038][/doublepost]
Do you have possessions accident insurance?

To me, assuming you did get liquid on it, it's the same as buying a new car, crashing it, then acting confused when the garage says they'll charge you to repair it.

*insert <not sure if serious or troll> pic*
No i don't have.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So in that case what can i do?

If there is water damage, your choices are limited.
1. Pay the repair bill.
2. Buy another Mac (new or used).
3. buy a windows machine.

I'm not accusing you or anything, but just looking at the images objectively and if apple says its water damage (regardless of how it got there), then your hands are tied more or less.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Not that was not my fault. I just wrap up my work and shut down properly and after some time when i start it again its damage. So in that case what can i do?
[doublepost=1538070038][/doublepost]
No i don't have.
I don't mean you did it on purpose or something like that. For example imagine you live in a home with some humidity, the device will eventually get water fluid inside. It's not that you did it yourself but it's "user error" in the eyes of these companies since it's not something that came defected from the factory.

mohit7886

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2018
Chandigarh
If there is water damage, your choices are limited.
1. Pay the repair bill.
2. Buy another Mac (new or used).
3. buy a windows machine.

I'm not accusing you or anything, but just looking at the images objectively and if apple says its water damage (regardless of how it got there), then your hands are tied more or less.
Actually i am confused with two different decisions from service centers. One said your mac book is fluid damged and another said you have tried to repair mac outside of service centers. And i had explain to them i had going to another service center before coming to you. But they rejected my excuse. So now i have to go to another service center?

Last edited:

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Wait, are you saying there was no water damage done by you at all? In that case you're going to need to argue that the laptop was sold to you already with water damage. It's unlikely, but I suppose not impossible. I mean, they don't check water damage indicators at the point of sale so it could have been stored in a crazy damp environment before you bought it.

You'll need to go to court in this case, and it'll probably end up with Apple funding the analysis of the liquid and the damage caused, which will then be passed on to you if found to be your fault.

You're not going to get any definitive answers here. This is no longer a technical or even an Apple issue; it's a consumer rights issue in India. I'd put money on it being your fault, or someone who had access to your laptop at some point.

nerowolfe19

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2018
I feel your pain. I had Apple diagnose a dead 2012 MBA a while ago and they quoted a full logic board fee plus labor and ish gonna take 2-4wks to fix cuz they were backlogged or whatever.

I refused to wait that long, took it to a local shop, someone I trust. Turned out 3 capacitors and a resistor had shorted out and needed replacing. Nothing major, one day job at most. Received working unit a day later and has been perfect ever since. Repair fee was $60.

I'd do what you had in mind and take it to another service center, maybe contact Apple and explain your problem. If they refuse, you're probably on your own. Take it to a reputable local shop that specializes in servicing macs, and see if they can help out. Short of damaged major parts eg cpu or gpu and the like, they might be able to fix it for you on the cheap. Oh and the older your Mac, the better your chances of finding spare parts for fixing it.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

Based on the amount of liquid damage it can take a long time for damage to occur. The initial contact with moisture could have been months, weeks, or minutes before the unit started acting up. People will sometime think there was no damage when a minor spill occurs and they wipe it up quickly. But months later, corrosion has reached the point where things short out.

iMacC2D

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
I'm not convinced this is water damage, although it's a little difficult to tell from the pictures.

That's the Battery controller board. Those connections and components are encapsulated in a resin that takes on a liquid or gel-like appearance, and can sometimes vary in color. That resin is also specifically meant to prevent liquid from coming into contact with those electrical components should something ever be spilled on the computer. By design those components and connections shouldn't corrode as they're completely sealed.

Here's a closeup photo of a 13" MacBook Pro 2017 battery board I took a moment ago, from a machine currently being disassembled for parts. It's somewhat different on the 15" models, but it serves as an example as you can still see the resin fill around the components.

IMG_6301.jpg

Also worth noting is that the adjacent Logic Board is in perfect condition. The location of the Battery controller board within the machine makes it unlikely that it would have visible liquid staining while a Logic Board situated only millimeters away would be immaculate.

To the OP, I'd seek out a second opinion if possible. If not, I'd look into whether the pictured issue with your machine is actually a resin or rubber coating over those connections and components, because if so, it's normal and there from manufacturing, and the technician has misdiagnosed the fault.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not convinced this is water damage, although it's a little difficult to tell from the pictures.
The issue is, whether the repair center believes its water damage. I'm no expert and I have no way to tell if its water damage, but in the scheme of things, my opinion doesn't matter. Its where he brought it for repair. I agree with the suggestion that the OP should try another repair center

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.