Apple,you broke my heart.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kingofkings8183, Sep 8, 2010.

1. kingofkings8183 macrumors member

Well iphone design,IPS displays,CAMERAS can all go get stuffed,but when apple is trying to sell a pocket computer to me,then skimping on RAM is just heart breaking. in a time when companies like HTC give us 400mb ram even on their low end devices (wildfire).Theres a reason why they do that.RAM is very important.There is absolutely no excuse to skimp on that little bit of RAM just to save a few dollars.a 512 mb ram chip costs NOTHING.

you're trying to sell me a 'gaming device' yet you nerf the tech specs in comparison to the iphone.you can save your costs wherever you like but atleast let me have the internal performance as the iphone and the ability to actually USE the multi tasking in an ipod for the first time.

all those people with an 'ZOMG ITS AHN EMPEETHREE PLAYER' excuse should listen to jobs talk.this is not an mp3 player.this is a GAME DEVICE and a PORTABLE COMPUTER.you give us a high rez screen but what use is that when a year later that high rez screen starts choking on the apps that are made for it.

i was TOTALLY sold on this product and was definitely going to buy it at all costs but im seriously reconsidering it now.apple,you broke my heart.I waited two months patiently and you do this to me.

Not trying to troll or be a fanboy or anything here.Im just disappointed.iphones here cost way more than they do in america man.If they cost $699 unlocked like they do there,id have bought one without even LOOKING at the touch.Here they are just TOO much.NO other phone i can buy makes me wait 3 weeks to get shipped,and then cost that much on top.What's wrong with just making your damn phone easily gettable?

2. Bleak macrumors member

You can't buy unlocked iPhones in America...

3. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

the multitasking on iOS works differently than you think. It won't lag as the app isn't stored in memory. even 256mb will suffice till the ipod touch 6 or 7 comes out. and the processor is really what is gonna make the thing slow if it is crappy but it is like 1ghz so that isn't gonna happen.

4. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

I'm only gonna break break your break break your heart :apple:

5. jwhite878 macrumors regular

Without bothering to take the time to correct each of your grammar mistakes, I have to say that going so far to describe the RAM shortage as "heartbreaking" is a little overboard. Sure it's not ideal, but it's still a great product.

6. kingofkings8183 thread starter macrumors member

Excuse me,grammar mistakes? I take pride in my linguistic ability,and do not feel the need to correctly format text in an internet forum. Mr. Shakespeare,thank you for your useless post.

7. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

TAIO CRUZ!!!!!!!

Like it's DYNOMITE!!!!!! :cool:

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed that it doesn't have to be perfect, but putting a space after a comma or a period makes it easier to read your posts. And after all, you do want people to read and understand what you post here. Right?;)

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You sign a contract or pay the unsubsidized price for that HTC Wildfire or whatever devices you had in mind. It's also a smartphone, a different category than media players or PMPs. It's also Android, which is good for many things but not anything multimedia related. It's not Apple's fault that customs taxes exist. Every imported product in Europe and other foreign countries (relative to the US of course) has customs taxes. It's not just your country/region. You also seem to have no sense of supply chain, demand or simple principles of manufacturing. Apple is doing the best it can with manufacturing, they don't control the factories. They aren't deliberately limiting manufacturing output just for the fun of it. That being said, they have ramped up manufacturing since the initial launch. The wait time isn't that long anymore.

10. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

I don't really care about RAM. The 2G 8gb touch that I had had 128MB RAM and was still relatively fast with a 512MHz processor. The touch 4G has an Apple A4 1GHz chip, 256MB ram, improved graphics, and a ton of other stuff and I bet its really fast. Who cares about 512MB RAM, processor is where it's at.

11. redking31591 macrumors 6502

I've got a first gen touch and I've never once gotten the low memory warning. I'm not really worried.

12. fswmacguy macrumors 6502

fswmacguy

The iPad has the same amount of RAM as the new iPod touch.

The iPad's performance is silky smooth.

You are complaining about nothing.

13. kingofkings8183 thread starter macrumors member

Thing is I have never used an ipod touch or iphone before. But i have had tons of memory problems in phones and computers. That is why I'm worried. Lack of memory just makes me paranoid since then.

14. fswmacguy macrumors 6502

fswmacguy

The iPod touch ≠ computer.

With a computer, running programs are stored in RAM. You execute an application, it goes to RAM. Playing a game? You bet it'll be in the RAM. YouTube videos? They're downloaded to RAM.

The iPod touch doesn't work that way. The multitasking on the iPod touch / iPhone is not the same as on a PC. iOS doesn't leave an app running in the background; rather it "freezes" the application's state, which of course reduces it's RAM footprint.

15. classie787 macrumors member

Now I'm not trying to complain here, because i've played with my cousin's 3G and it is amazing, but why the hell did Jobs say it was "the iPhone without the contract" when it has a 0.7mp camera instead of 5.0mp, a TN display instead of IPS, 256 rather than 512mb RAM, etc etc. I find that odd.

16. kingofkings8183 thread starter macrumors member

wait so if im on windows live messenger and i receive an IM while browsing over safari i wont be able to get it and i wont be notified about it? that's not good.

also this is promising
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eimrSsuAtk

17. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

The iPod touch supports push notifications, which means that an app can receive data (such as IMs) even if it is not running.

However, I don't know if it can show a pop-up since I don't use them, but I guess it does.

18. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

WRONG. The freezing you refer to is the same. The app remains in RAM and still occupies the portion of it, it just doesn't quit unless the OS quits it or you do.

19. vanzantapple macrumors 6502

vanzantapple

Does the A4 CPU in the iPod Touch 4 really run at 1Ghz? Has Apple or anyone credible said that at all? I haven't seen this anywhere. Anyone KNOW??

Please forgive me for this link, and bash it if you like HAHA, its all I have. This WIKI link shows
    the iPhone 4 CPU: ~800 MHz [8] ARM Cortex-A8 Apple A4

The iPod Touch 3 CPU: 833 MHz (underclocked to 600 MHz) ARM Cortex-A8

So since it has been overwhelming stated and set into stone that the iPhone is the King of iOS devices, shouldn't it have the faster CPU. So if the iPhone is 800Mhz then the Touch probably won't be higher than that, in fact if the trend continues it will be less.

If this is a rumor, it's not a helpful one. Remember those pesky 512MB rumors were slashed like a teenage slu^ in an 80's slasher movie. :eek:

20. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

We've evolved from MP3 players that only displayed one line of the song title is gray with a tinted green backlight to hi-res 4" color displays and people still arent happy?

I shouldn't be surprised.

/inb4 ****U256RAMSUCKSMYLIFEISOVER

21. sarmo187 macrumors member

LOL'd so hard

22. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Heck, my first iPod was a shuffle. Imagine the transition to an iPod touch :p

23. Orange™ macrumors 6502

The self entitlement you perceive yourself to have is both inane and laughable. I'm glad Apple skimped out on the parts as it costs less to build and you'll still flock to it.

Apple, keeping AAPL shareholders proud since 2001! :D

Please stop butchering the English language. This is MacRumors, not gangsta fly text speak, aight?

24. kingofkings8183 thread starter macrumors member

If this player were released in that era,people wouldve been happy. In 2010,these things are to be expected from technology because the cost of creating that gray screen at that time is similar to what it costs to produce 3.5 inch color screens today.

if you can live with inferior specs that is fine with you but everyone is not you.

25. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

The contract = $$$$$$$$, so they had to find a way to cut costs also. Some areas they had to cut back on, while others (camera, Retina Display) are new to the iPod.