**** apple.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kuykee, Jul 15, 2010.

1. kuykee, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013

kuykee macrumors newbie

i was a stupid twat in first year liberal arts, i love capitalism now <3

2. Queso macrumors G4

Stop projecting. Many people just on this site, let alone out in wider society, have given iPads a miss. As for Apple's marketing, of course they'll keep playing a message that has obviously worked.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

And your point being?

Apple has never been mystical, special, different, or any other of the other marketing hype you bought into as a youth. From April 1, 1976, they have been first and foremost a company whose sole purpose is to sell stuff, profit from that, and grow. Their history may be a bit more entertaining than most, but at the end of the day, they're still just a purveyor of widgets.

How someone can be so emotionally invested in a toaster, positively or negatively, is beyond me.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How much longer until you're not a kid?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Blame the people, not Apple.

Nowadays Apple is more a mobile company than a computer company, that's one of the reasons for the difference. Mobile toys are cheaper than real computers. Apple is just a company, their aim is to make money and currently iToys are their biggest cash cows. It's a multinational monopoly, not a company that makes computers in a garage :p

Their products are still expensive but it's not stupid who asks, it's stupid who pays. They seem to make enough money with current prices and sale numbers are growing all the time. Apple doesn't care about anything else but money

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Yes, they have changed and not entirely for the better. Instead of taking it personally and getting worked up about it I just don't buy the products I'm not interested in from Apple. I love my macs but I've avoided their newest iToys, with the exception of iPods. You can speak louder with your (closed) wallet than with your keyboard.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^Agreed.

Nobody is making you buy the products. The only Apple products I love at the moment are the MBPs, and I like the iPhone and iPad. Having said that,I'll probably buy an HTC Android phone next, and I can't find any uses for the iPad personally. I can see how they'd be good for web access and such, but I can't justify paying that much for an iPad, and then paying $15-20 AUD per month for internet.

Yesterday, I bought a Kindle DX 2 because the iPad didn't meet my requirements.

Use your head and don't get things you don't want or like. It's not that difficult. :confused:

8. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

At least in my area anyway, people don't even realise Apple makes computers as well as iPods. And the people that do think they're just too expensive and not worth getting.

Yes, the company is getting bigger but that's because the iDevices are massively popular at the moment. It's the customers, not the company. Apple would change if mobile devices became less popular.

If you're unhappy, vote with your wallet. Don't buy Apple products if you're not happy. That's exactly what Steve Jobs has said for years in reply to people's complaints.

9. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I don't have an issue with apple. People seem to get upset because they say apple has changed well they are a big company now. Show me a company that's apple size that hasn't changed?

I get tired of people telling me to hate products when i have no reason to. I mean just because you dislike a product and i like it doesn't make me a fanboy.

I see people whine and complain about lack of features,etc. But how does this make apple bad just because they won't add what YOU want to a product? It's not very smart for a company to add everything to a product but the kitchen sink just to appease a small segment of the market.

People need to realize that we are all individuals and i'm going to like what i like.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How is apple being an oppressive manipulative and coercive corporation. They have done nothing to oppress people, nor have they manipulated anything and finally they no more coercive then any other multibillion dollar company looking to be profitable.

You seem to be taking this iPhone debacle a bit personally. Did apple screw up, yeah. Are thy trying to oppress, manipulate, coerce people because of this no. Are they handling this problem correctly, NO of course not.

Hopefully tomorrow's press conference is a step in the right direction.

My advice is to relax, not put your trust in a multibillion dollar companies and look out the window - there's life beyond the computer/iphone.

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

12. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

They sell more Macs per quarter now than they were selling per year not that long ago.

13. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Let's clear up a few things real quick.

1. Computers do not have emotions and therefore are not "joyous" machines. People have emotions and as evidenced by you post we often become quite emotional about silly things like consumer products.

2. Computers are not creative, people are. A computer is a tool that a creative individual can utilize to create all manner of things like music, art, literature, etc. etc.

3. You said, "myself and many others, were naive and didn't really understand the world". This is a good first step. Admitting the truth can be difficult, but it helps you know where you are, where you want to go, and what you want to work toward. Don't worry and don't give up hope, with experience and critical thinking you too can overcome naivety and lack of understanding regarding how the world works. ;)

C'mon, it's just a technology company. To quote the great Flava Flav, "Don't believe the hype!" :D

14. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

I hate to be the insensitive prick but... it's just a computer.

You shouldn't have emotions tied to a company or product; it's really just reflective of our object centrism that's all too prevalent today. Apple was and never will be for the people, and they are no different from any other company. Furthermore, their products are no different from competitors; likening any of them as "joyous" or "magical" is like saying my oven is "creative" and "inspiring." It's just a tool, and Apple makes multiple tools for multiple jobs. Look not at the tools; instead focus on the people and the jobs done with them. These are the endeavors that should be lauded and appraised, and emotions can be tied to these; not the cold piece of hardware sitting on your desk. Humans and human actions deserve emotions, not machines.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's correct. Apple sold 2.94 million Macs in Q2 this year which was 33% more than in Q2 2009. However, Apple sold nearly 20 million iToys last quarter (8.75m iPhones and 10.89m iPods) so iToys are the biggest cash cow for Apple though Macs have higher profit per unit

16. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I bought an iPad, because it suits my needs to a "T." Saved money, by not getting a MB or other laptop.

Apple may be getting too big, but they've got to be doing something right in order to be in that position. They got hammered by the press for the iPhone 4 and they deserved it, they handled it poorly, and their reputation will be battered for a little while.

Would you honestly not take the money from everyone that wants your products?

Fans always demanded lower prices, when they lowered them (albeit, not as low as competitors), more people bought... Go figure?

17. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Apple is a company, it's a business, so to survive it has to make money (that's what you do when you run a business)

So, they're creating products (like the iPhone/iPad) that some of us may or may not like or use, but they're creating a lifestyle for people that feel the need to "Want" these products (cause their friends have them) rather than actually "Need" them.
    It's a business, but some of us people use them for different reasons (cause they may help us in a creative way with our jobs), if you don't like them, just go elsewhere...
    There's plenty of other Operating Systems and Phones out there

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Boo hoo, they're a corporation that wants to make money. Stop being naive and grow the **** up. If you don't like their products, then don't buy them. But stop wasting yours and everyone else's time complaining about it on a random internet forum.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just do what I do and don't buy their products. There's nothing you can do about it, yes they're changing their direction but all that means is I buy a Mac for personal use and none of their iToys. If another company make a more powerful computer/phone or better music player then I'll buy that instead.

20. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

What everybody else said. I think they just about covered it.

21. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Apple didn't change: You did.

And I'm right there with you. Sucks getting older and wiser, huh?

22. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Wow, what a narrow minded post.

The iPad isn't for you? That's fine, frankly it's not really for me either. But, for some people it's the best thing ever invented ... hence millions sold.

It's not Apple's marketing that MAKES people buy something ... sure it will get sales rolling but the device has to be good in order for its sales to grow and continue.

The iPad, iPhone, iPod, Mac's etc etc are good products, backed by good service, that's the bottom line when you compare it to the crap that's out there.

Why tear Apple apart? What's your point? Of all the companies in the world to pick from? Strange.

Sounds like sour grapes on your part, what did you buy an Apple product, maybe an iPad and since you can't return it or something you're writing rants on a forums of mostly Mac enthusiasts???? :eek:

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. If you don't like what Apple is doing then vote with your wallet by buying something else.

24. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Welcome to the forums, kuykee.

Seems you liked Apple when they were counter-culture, but when they became popular, you had to find a new way to express your superiority. Now you can be a troll on these forums full of people who like Apple products and do just that.

Here's a pro tip: there's nothing original or creative about going against the popular trends. You're still letting the masses dictate your actions - you're just doing the opposite.

Keep on making vague references to Nineteen Eighty-Four to show that you're not a kid anymore and that you understand the world now. You're awesome!

25. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

People who hate things just because they're popular make me lol. Same kids who were picked on by the popular kids in highschool so they convinced themselves they didn't want to be part of their group when secretly that's all they wanted.