Applecare almost over, should I extend it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wordoflife, Nov 9, 2010.

1. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

My AppleCare expires on December 3rd, but the phone was just recently replaced about two months back or so. I plan on keeping this phone longer (Apple should support it with iOS 5, so I'll probably be using it daily with iOS 5 too - hopefully they wont screw over us 3GS owners like they did for 3G owners) and I was wondering if it was a good idea to buy Applecare

I don't really see anything going wrong with the phone that Applecare would cover. It seems the only things that would go bad is the battery (which Applecare wouldn't support, right?) and if I end up breaking it (which would cost $199 to replace...?)

Any ideas?

2. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

I dont think you can extend applecare. Once your applecare is up. Its up. You can't "rebuy" it and tack on another year.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

This is correct.

AppleCare for the iPhone gives you two years of warranty coverage from the date of purchase of the iPhone.

It cannot be extended beyond this time.

4. g35 macrumors 6502a

Since it's a 3GS, either it's the first year of included warranty expired or he bought the 3GS in December 2008.

5. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but it's an iPhone 3GS that was bought in December 2009 and is still covered by the 1 year limited warranty until next month. :eek:

6. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I would go with Squaretrade myself. It's $99 and covers drops and water damage as well as hardware failure.

7. iPhone1182 macrumors member

The phone comes with one year of applecare at no extra cost. To extend the coverage for an additional year, you must purchase the applecare upgrade at $69 within the one year of complimentary coverage.