AppleCare bought today can be used for 2012 MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kylera, Jun 7, 2012.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

A nearby reseller here is having a special sale for AppleCare, and the idea of securing MBA AppleCare for a discount early popped up. Though, would there be a chance that I might not be able to register the new MBA with AppleCare that I bought earlier?

2. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

good question, how much of a deal are we talking about?

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you do not have to register apple care right away,

4. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

30 percent off, if I recall properly.

5. Oli3000 macrumors regular

Buy it and register it to your laptop when you buy it. Simplez.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

AppleCare must be registered while your MBA is still under the one year manufacturer's warranty (so that people don't wait until their Mac breaks until they buy AppleCare, some as you need to buy fire insurance before your house burns down, not afterwards). In other words, any 2012 Mac is still fine.

7. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

I was under the impression that AppleCare is at the point of sale linked with the product you buy it with, or you can buy it subsequently up to 1 year after you buy the hardware. This is the first I heard of buying it before you buy the hardware.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can buy it any point, before/with/after the purchase of a Mac, its when you register it that counts. True I've not come across people buying AC before their Mac however

9. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

You can already get approximately 30% discounts from authorized resellers like LA Computer Company and B&H. Not to mention the Apple Education Store, with no requirement for proof of being a student/educator.

Given the number of scams and Apple refusing to honor some purchased from non-authorized resellers, I would never buy it from anyone other than an authorized dealer.