Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
if i have AppleCare + can i just demand to get a refurb for the $79? i have scratches and dents on a launch day 5S. but nothing else wrong.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I believe so, but you'd lose one of your two accidental damage replacements.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You don't need to demand.
Just tell them you would like to pay for a replacement device.
You have 2 instances and you can receive them any time as long as you're within your 2 years coverage.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
You don't need to demand.
Just tell them you would like to pay for a replacement device.
You have 2 instances and you can receive them any time as long as you're within your 2 years coverage.

you can do that? i heard stories where they said you had to have a broken phone for that since AppleCare is really insurance.

NewToMac11

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
lol, if they told me that i would smash the screen in front of them and be like ok, is that broken enough ?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
if i have AppleCare + can i just demand to get a refurb for the $79? i have scratches and dents on a launch day 5S. but nothing else wrong.

From AppleCare+ Terms and conditions:

"The Plan does not apply to cosmetic damage to the Covered iPhone, including but not limited to scratches and dents, that do not otherwise affect the functionality of the Covered iPhone."

Basically if the screen's not cracked and phone is working fine, Apple can choose to decline replacing the phone. The damage has to affect functionality.

----------

lol, if they told me that i would smash the screen in front of them and be like ok, is that broken enough ?

Nope, under the same terms, they could invalidate your coverage. Intentional damage isn't covered. Smashing it right in front of them is the last thing you want to do.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011

"The Plan does not apply to cosmetic damage to the Covered iPhone, including but not limited to scratches and dents, that do not otherwise affect the functionality of the Covered iPhone."

Basically if the screen's not cracked and phone is working fine, Apple can choose to decline replacing the phone. The damage has to affect functionality.

----------

Nope, under the same terms, they could invalidate your coverage. Intentional damage isn't covered. Smashing it right in front of them is the last thing you want to do.

thanks so the only way is to break the phone then go? but dont want to get into a discussion about insurance fraud bc I think I saw that thread once before for applecare.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
thanks so the only way is to break the phone then go? but dont want to get into a discussion about insurance fraud bc I think I saw that thread once before for applecare.

No, that's not the only way. You can 1) try to ask for a replacement iPhone and accept whatever outcome that materializes, 2) wait for an actual defect to happen, in which case they'll swap it out free of charge, or 3) man up and take better care of your device next time.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I was told by a genius (on the DL) that if I were to ever crack my screen, to drop it in the pool before coming in to get a replacement because otherwise they would only replace the screen and not the entire device.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Agreed. The other option is to complain about something happening that they cannot duplicate with testing. I'd go with "phone randomly locks up during calls and I cannot hang up" or "phone sometimes freezes up when I use call waiting function."

It's not possible for them to duplicate those, so they may claim to fix it, but you can go back in a couple of days and say it's still happening.

My guess is that the OP wants a pristine unit to sell.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Agreed. The other option is to complain about something happening that they cannot duplicate with testing. I'd go with "phone randomly locks up during calls and I cannot hang up" or "phone sometimes freezes up when I use call waiting function."

It's not possible for them to duplicate those, so they may claim to fix it, but you can go back in a couple of days and say it's still happening.

My guess is that the OP wants a pristine unit to sell.

close- to give to an old relative to finally get a smartphone and onto ios. yeah it does depend on genious that day have heard of stories of them giving you a refurb without even the fee i will just ask. i refuse to break it for no reason but its pretty rundown. and i know its DFU restore first then parts replacement then full replacement.

metacuate

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
close- to give to an old relative to finally get a smartphone and onto ios. yeah it does depend on genious that day have heard of stories of them giving you a refurb without even the fee i will just ask. i refuse to break it for no reason but its pretty rundown. and i know its DFU restore first then parts replacement then full replacement.

Save yourself some time and arrive with it broken.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That doesn't make much sense.
So if I want to pay for a replacement phone and I just have a few small scrapes or scratches they will not let me pay to get a replacement?
They will want me to bring it smashed or soaked in water instead so I can hand it in with worst damage? So instead of them spending a few dollars for replacing the casing for example and refurbishing it easy they will pay to replace every part on it.
Either way I don't think they will turn you away or tell you to break it more to let you get a replacement.
As long as you're willing to pay you should be ok.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
So if I want to pay for a replacement phone and I just have a few small scrapes or scratches they will not let me pay to get a replacement?
They will want me to bring it smashed or soaked in water instead so I can hand it in with worst damage? So instead of them spending a few dollars for replacing the casing for example and refurbishing it easy they will pay to replace every part on it.
Either way I don't think they will turn you away or tell you to break it more to let you get a replacement.

agreed 100%

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

That's not how insurance works. If they had a policy that you can pay the deductible whenever you desire a replacement, AC+ deductible would be priced higher than it currently is. In fact, too many people deliberately damaging their iPhones when they feel like a replacement (which a couple members have already suggested in this thread) is why they've jacked up the AC+ deductible to $79 from $49.

The old adage "Be careful what you ask for" can't be more true here. Don't come complaining here if they decide to jack up the AC+ deductible again.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
That's not how insurance works. If they had a policy that you can pay the deductible whenever you desire a replacement, AC+ deductible would be priced higher than it currently is. In fact, too many people deliberately damaging their iPhones when they feel like a replacement (which a couple members have already suggested in this thread) is why they've jacked up the AC+ deductible to $79 from $49.

The old adage "Be careful what you ask for" can't be more true here. Don't come complaining here if they decide to jack up the AC+ deductible again.

but they are making $79 for the replacement, and the phone your giving them will be an easy refurb job that they can now put back in the refurb pool to sell to some else for $79 or even more in the refurb store

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
but they are making $79 for the replacement, and the phone your giving them will be an easy refurb job that they can now put back in the refurb pool to sell to some else for $79 or even more in the refurb store

Each refurbished iPhone gets a brand new case, screen and battery so they're most certainly not earning $79 in profit each time this happens.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Each refurbished iPhone gets a brand new case, screen and battery so they're most certainly not earning $79 in profit each time this happens.

wel I guess rules are rules, you got to get accidentally pushed in a pool I guess that what it takes

----------

----------

now if the screen is smashed that should mean the soft aluminum is dented or scratched do they give you a replacement of do they put a new screen on the dented scratched body for $79?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
You're sorely lacking in common sense if you can't see why too many people deliberately damaging their iPhones whenever they desire a replacement is why they've jackee up the deductible.

potato patato, if they did not make a fuss and replaced them for dents and scratches its the same ammount of replacments making them raise the prices

buttom line Apple is not different than any insurance company, they take your insurance money, make you pay a deductable but despise you for calling on them when you need to make a claim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.