AppleCare+ Display Claim: Replaces the Display or the Entire Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Oct 19, 2016.

1. MICHAELSD, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016

MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I've been considering the Apple Upgrade Program lately, but I figure if I do go through with it as AppleCare+ is mandatory I'd rock a Jet Black Plus naked. Otherwise, AppleCare+ would be a complete waste for me as I have zero concern that I'd have a claim using an Apple silicone/leather case.

A dealbreaker for me is how the display claims are handled: does Apple replace the display itself on the 7 Plus or just issue a replacement phone? I figure if I have display damage, which I've never had in my nine years of iPhone ownership, then I'd also have damage on the body of the phone I'd be unhappy with.

2. itsray macrumors 6502

they will try to fix it first before replacing the entire device. you have no say in 'i just want the whole thing replaced'

3. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

With display damage they'll replace the display for $29 under AppleCare+. Otherwise, if you want the whole phone replaced, it'll be $99 (which you can request). Both count as one of your two allotted incidentals.

4. itsray macrumors 6502

actually you don't, if they are able to fix the display they will attempt that first. unless there is damage on the frame which will not allow a display to fit then they will replace the entire device. i know this because i've had to explain it hundreds of times when i was a tech at the genius bar. all stores handle it differently though, but those are the rules sent from corporate.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You cannot request a full replacement. They must not be able to repair the issue in order to get a replacement.

6. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The $29 display incidental is the reason I'm even considering going with the Apple Upgrade Program. $99 is a bit too much of a premium over the AppleCare+ cost to potentially pay once for a replacement and once when I turn in the phone. Though I'd hope I can go a year without damage caseless...

As far as I've seen it seems Apple replaces the entire phone for display damage more often than not.

7. itsray macrumors 6502

not from my experience from working there. only if they are out of the part or a manager approves it because there are too many repairs going on. if it can be repaired first other than replace they'll do it. and they'll tell the customer to come back in an hour and a half or so.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I have never had a device replaced for a defective/damaged screen. I get a replacement screen; same phone.

9. itsray macrumors 6502

i've gone there on days off for a hairline crack and i didn't want it to get worse on my screen and even when i was an employee they just replaced the display.

10. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It's really too bad. Due to AppleCare+ being dead weight for me it being mandatory is enough of a dealbreaker to make me not to want to use the Apple Upgrade Program when I might have otherwise. I get that they include it to protect their phones and to make the AUP more profitable but it makes more sense for me to go through the hassle of buying and selling each year for other reasons as well :confused:.

11. itsray macrumors 6502

just wait a little longer if you need to save more and pay full price?

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I mean. You are only paying for 1 year of AC+. The second year is part of the credit when you trade in the device. So for $65 to get two accidents in a year. Kind of peace of mind. I never use to get AC+ either, but it's nice knowing I have it.

13. Closingracer macrumors 68020

At least from my experience with the iPhone 6 Plus and Apple care Plus is that they will replace the device outright for me the two incidents I used on it. Once used it on apr 2016 and another in August 2016. Yes I know I used both so close to each other along with a full price repair in September but I have bad luck and a horrible 2016 in general with me losing a pair of glasses and another I stepped on :( lol. First time I broke my screen they just gave me a refurb on the spot for $75 + sales tax. Second time the same offer but the guy did state I could of paid the screen repair instead of taking the last claim. The 3rd time i cracked my screen I had to pay $149 for the repair but since it didn't pass the calibration of the screen or whatever and they offered me a refurb for no additional cost. The first two times I went to the Fifth Ave store in Manhattan and the 3rd incident I took it to the new store in the World trade center area.

14. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

True. I'm happy they lowered the display damage incidental but the economics don't really work out as well for me if I want the whole phone replaced as compared to knowing I'll be fine drop and water-wise with an Apple case.

15. itsray macrumors 6502

you got lucky because they weren't following the rules. I bet he just wanted to do it the easy way since that way he did it takes 5 minutes. the 3rd time thats what they are supposed to do.

16. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Easy fix, just do express replacement. they put a hold on your CC, send you a whole new phone, you send yours back in the box, takes less than a week and you are never without a phone. Plus with AC+, its free.

17. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

So if you need a screen replacing, you can use this service to replace the entire device?

18. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

whoops my bad. Im actually not sure what they would do in this situation. I imagine if ppl live very far from apple run into this problem as well.

Have AC+. Break screen. Nearest Apple store 500 miles. Cant be without phone. Express replacement only option. I wonder what Apple would do..

19. Closingracer macrumors 68020

I even asked the rep on the 2nd one and he said it could be either. I could wait the hour to just get a refurb. Since it was like 6 AM ( it's open 24/7) and needed to get to work I got the refurb. The phone got thrown off a car roof and than was driven over by like 50-70 cars all going at least 30-40 mph. Phone actually was in good shape minus the broken screen lol. First time I don't remember if he said either but they did replace it.

20. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

I wouldn't worry too much. I've dropped my iPhone 7+ a few times already. First time wasn't my fault (someone did on cement) and it left a few tiny scratches (smaller then half of a pencil eraser) and then a few times it fell out of my pocket as I was grabbing something from same pocket. It was funny because everyone was more scared then I was of the damage (there was none added not even to the screen) even this chick who always gives me the evil eye was trying to inquire after seeing the incident.

On the flip side, I had my six in a native union marble case. The first time that sucker dropped on cement the WHOLE screen shattered. Never again.

You realize if you wanted the whole phone replaced that badly, and is willing to pay $99 you can just up the ante by dropping it a few more times so the frame of the iPhone is dented and therefore the whole unit has to be replaced.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They're not going to make you pay the $99 upon turning in the iPhone unless it's actually damaged (e.g., shattered) or in a non-working condition. Normal wear and tear doesn't count and they're going to remanufacture it anyway with a brand new shell and battery.

Thank you for encouraging fraud.

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I don't understand why it is so easy for people to give advice that entails committing fraud.. o_O

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Tell me about it. There's a reason why Apple has bumped up the cost of AC+ deductible from $49 to $79 to currently $99 despite the retail price of the entry-level iPhone remaining flat at $649 since 2010 or so.

24. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

If you break the screen and can't get to an Apple Store, and can't be without a phone, I'm sure you're able to opt to pay $99 for an Express Replacement instead of $29 for an screen replacement. That's one way of getting a whole new device.

25. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

How is it "encouraging fraud"?

It's not like you paid for apple care after shattering your phone.

There's also a reason why it's limited to two.