Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleCare+ for Mac with accidental damage coverage is now available in Canada, Mexico, and many countries across Europe and the Middle East, including Austria, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Arab Emirates, and the United Kingdom.

applecare-plus-mac-800x312.jpg

AppleCare+ for Mac was previously limited to the United States, Australia and New Zealand, and Japan, but its availability expanded to the aforementioned countries following the conclusion of Apple's special event in Brooklyn on Tuesday.

AppleCare+ provides up to three years of hardware coverage and tech support for an eligible Mac, effective on the purchase date of the plan. This includes up to two incidents of accidental damage, each subject to a service fee that varies based on damage to the screen, external enclosure, or other components.

In the UK, for example, the per-incident fees are £79 for screen or external enclosure damage, and £229 for other damage.

The accidental damage fees are in addition to the cost of the AppleCare+ for Mac plan itself, which varies. The plan is available for the MacBook, MacBook Air, 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro, iMac, iMac Pro, Mac Pro, and Mac mini.

AppleCare+ for Mac benefits are in addition to any legal rights provided by consumer law in the aforementioned countries.

AppleCare+ can be purchased alongside a new Mac on Apple's website, at Apple retail stores where available, and at select Apple Authorized Resellers or Apple Authorized Service Providers. It can also be added within 60 days of a Mac's purchase date, pending an inspection or diagnostic test.

In these countries, AppleCare+ for Mac replaces the basic AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac, which didn't include accidental damage coverage. Apple continues to offer the AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac in certain countries, such as Spain, Finland, Norway, Poland, Taiwan, Singapore, and Brazil.

Article Link: AppleCare+ for Mac With Accidental Damage Coverage Expands to Canada, Mexico, and Europe

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
Does this mean that if I paid for the 3 years Apple Care I get new benefits or that I need to pay extra to get these new benefits?

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Has this made Applecare more expensive? What if I already have accidental damage cover though my credit card or household insurance, who should cover the damage (whoever offers the lowest excess I guess...). Is there a way to get 3 years of warranty without accidental damage cover?

Fin745

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Has this made Applecare more expensive? What if I already have accidental damage cover though my credit card or household insurance, who should cover the damage (whoever offers the lowest excess I guess...). Is there a way to get 3 years of warranty without accidental damage cover?
You can still buy App by calling Apple, which is what I did for my new MacBook since I didn’t need the App+.

If you have App now you can still buy App+ only if you’re within the first 60 days of buying the device.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
You can still buy App by calling Apple, which is what I did for my new MacBook since I didn’t need the App+.

If you have App now you can still buy App+ only if you’re within the first 60 days of buying the device.

Good to know, thanks.

MBP18user

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
I'n on the phone with Apple in Canada now going through the process of either paying the diff or doing a refund of the full amount so i can switch to apc+. bought this $4k machine in sept and i def want accidental coverage...

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Does this mean that if I paid for the 3 years Apple Care I get new benefits or that I need to pay extra to get these new benefits?

I suspect you could upgrade to AppleCare+ if you're still within your first years warranty (the usual period within which you can buy AppleCare. Outside of that window, I bet it's not possible.

It has questionable value too. £399 in the UK to cover a MacBook Pro (some £150 more than before) and there is an excess of £79-£229 for accidental damage. The increase or the excess makes sense, but not both.

Reactions: Table Top Joe

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
I'n on the phone with Apple in Canada now going through the process of either paying the diff or doing a refund of the full amount so i can switch to apc+. bought this $4k machine in sept and i def want accidental coverage...
What was the outcome, please? And what were the cost differences in the end.

I wonder if you buy the cheap vanilla APP's off Ebay sellers, can those be upgraded for nothing (or cheap) to AC+ via a call to Apple?

e.g. APP for a Mac Mini can be gotten for £15 on Ebay, vs AC+ directly from Apple at £99.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
When will AppleCare be available for the rest of Europe? At least for most of the members of EU?

MBP18user

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
What was the outcome, please? And what were the cost differences in the end.

I wonder if you buy the cheap vanilla APP's off Ebay sellers, can those be upgraded for nothing (or cheap) to AC+ via a call to Apple?

e.g. APP for a Mac Mini can be gotten for £15 on Ebay, vs AC+ directly from Apple at £99.

I spoke to an agreement administrator who was able to refund the full amount i paid for apple care (~350 CAD with my student discount) and is in the process of getting me set up with apc+ with the student discount over the next few days (i couldn't manually repurchase it with the discount, only full price. the difference is something like $70 CAD.

Reactions: jimthing

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
I spoke to an agreement administrator who was able to refund the full amount i paid for apple care (~350 CAD with my student discount) and is in the process of getting me set up with apc+ with the student discount over the next few days (i couldn't manually repurchase it with the discount, only full price. the difference is something like $70 CAD.
Thanks for returning and responding. :)

So it looks like the cheaper third-party reselling market is dead then, as the rules of AC+ make it impossible to buy separately from non-Apple sources now (unless you buy the older APP without accidental damage cover), as Apple run "remote diagnostic" checks on your machine before *they themselves* then offer to sell it to you directly.

Bummer, as I was gonna get AC for £15 off Ebay vs. the £99 full price Apple charge... another £85 I have to find on an already expensive Mac Mini machine, gee thanks Apple! :-|

They also used to offer interest free credit on Mac purchases sometimes (I used it before a few years ago), but now; nope, nothing, nada. They expect you top add 15% on for Barclays/Paypal finance, on already super expensive purchases! Completely weird, given they offer iPhone's on the vanilla "iPhone Payments" plan over 20-months interest free; a device that costs much less. Here's the new Apple™.

(god are Apple getting to be tightwads with everything these days!)

Last edited:

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1

AppleCare+ for Mac with accidental damage coverage is now available in Canada, Mexico, and many countries across Europe and the Middle East, including Austria, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Arab Emirates, and the United Kingdom.

applecare-plus-mac-800x312.jpg

AppleCare+ for Mac was previously limited to the United States, Australia and New Zealand, and Japan, but its availability expanded to the aforementioned countries following the conclusion of Apple's special event in Brooklyn on Tuesday.

AppleCare+ provides up to three years of hardware coverage and tech support for an eligible Mac, effective on the purchase date of the plan. This includes up to two incidents of accidental damage, each subject to a service fee that varies based on damage to the screen, external enclosure, or other components.

In the UK, for example, the per-incident fees are £79 for screen or external enclosure damage, and £229 for other damage.

The accidental damage fees are in addition to the cost of the AppleCare+ for Mac plan itself, which varies. The plan is available for the MacBook, MacBook Air, 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro, iMac, iMac Pro, Mac Pro, and Mac mini.

AppleCare+ for Mac benefits are in addition to any legal rights provided by consumer law in the aforementioned countries.

AppleCare+ can be purchased alongside a new Mac on Apple's website, at Apple retail stores where available, and at select Apple Authorized Resellers or Apple Authorized Service Providers. It can also be added within 60 days of a Mac's purchase date, pending an inspection or diagnostic test.

In these countries, AppleCare+ for Mac replaces the basic AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac, which didn't include accidental damage coverage. Apple continues to offer the AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac in certain countries, such as Spain, Finland, Norway, Poland, Taiwan, Singapore, and Brazil.

Article Link: AppleCare+ for Mac With Accidental Damage Coverage Expands to Canada, Mexico, and Europe

All in black/space gray. The only odd one in desktop lineup is now iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.