AppleCare for Macbook is so expensive ?!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iSayuSay, Jul 24, 2011.

1. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Okay. i'm not testing you here. But I'm really curious about AppleCare for Mac. I have an iMac, and plan to buy an AppleCare for it. As you know the price is arouond $140 - $160 depends on where you buy.

But I see in Apple Store, AppleCare for Macbook Pro or Air is just insanely expenseive, $250 for 13" Macbooks and $350 for 15" and 17" MBP :eek: and MacPro's cost $250

That is hilarious, what makes Macbook's protection plan cost much higher than iMac? Any additional features that we can't get on iMac's plan? Or is it just because Macbook has higher risk for damage (mobile, something can go wrong more easily?)

Because if you see the product's price, iMac has the least price, thus has most benefits compared to other Mac. Even MacPro's plan cost higher while I think MacPro has least chance of being damaged (no display, just pure tower) Any particular reason for this?

2. MikhailT macrumors 601

It’s simple, there’s more risk involved for MBP than an iMac.

You’re carrying the laptop everywhere, to different environments that can impact the laptop such as hotter/colder rooms, different humidity, rapid movements and so on (almost all electronic parts hate sudden temp changes and can easily get damaged). The odds of that happening to a device (iMac) that’s designed to be in the same room are much smaller compared to the laptop.

MacPro have higher price points because their parts are much more expensive than the other Macs.

3. iSayuSay thread starter macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

And even being twice more expensive than iMac's plan, I heard Macbook's protection plan has strict warrant on battery replacement? Even MacPro's plan costs higher than iMac, while it has very litte risk (as I said .. pure tower, no display included means no risk of dead pixel, panel replacement etc, right?)

4. MikhailT, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

MikhailT macrumors 601

The parts in MacPros are not the same parts in iMacs, they are workstation-grade which are generally twice as expensive. The monitor panels can be easily replaced but Apple has a limit of dead pixels, something like 4 four dead pixel of 24” and 7-9 for 27”. The panel is just another part that can be fixed in store. Some parts in MacPro can be more expensive than the panel itself.

It is not a surprise to have strict warranty limits, all warranty have restrictions and many companies don’t even cover batteries.

You’re not just paying for warranty, you’re also paying for support, genius bar visits and all of that are not cheap.

5. iSayuSay thread starter macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Hmm maybe that would be the reason. I'm still happy and thankful however for having an iMac and pay least for the protection plan. Thank you for the explanation, I was just curious anyway, especially on Macboooks' protection plan, compared to iMac's plan.

Yes, those support extras are not cheap for sure, that's why I'm happy but curious about paying least for iMac's protection plan. I thought there were support difference between both.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Batteries are considered a consumable, so they don't really cover it.
    The battery wears down with use and time. There are some instances where they replace it though. Such as, if its bulging or has less than 80% health with under 1000 cycles.

7. MikhailT macrumors 601

No problem. There are some slight differences (because each product and its typical usage are different) but majority of the time, AppleCare approach them all the same way.

AppleCare is the best warranty/support that I ever experienced in my life, they’re worth their cost completely.

By the way, in case you didn’t know; Apple routers are covered by your iMac's AppleCare warranty by default if you bought them separately. In some cases, if you buy the monitor with your laptop/Mac Pro, that monitor will be included in your Mac’s applecare warranty at no cost as well.

Apple is generally generous despite how expensive their plans may be compared to others.

8. MikhailT macrumors 601

Apple explained it clearly here:
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html

9. iSayuSay thread starter macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

You mean if I bought Airport extreme/express, I'll have 3 years warranty covered from iMac protection plan? Well I didn't know that, thank you.