AppleCare for more than 3 years?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kikobarbada, Jul 27, 2007.

1. kikobarbada macrumors regular

I just bought Applecare for my Macbook. I know it extends for 3 years, but what if I want more than that? What are my options for an over-3 year warranty for Apple products?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could use procare, not sure if there is a limit to how long you can use it though.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Pro care gives you tech support, good tech support mind you, but not a warranty on parts. That was how it was explained to me. Given that, I doubt you can extend the apple care, but there may be 3rd party insurance that may warrant against hardware failure.

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

One year is the limit. You can add up to three machines to your one account. Like said before it's support only

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

FWIW, it's probably not worth getting it longer than three years anyway. Sure, you could use that macbook for 5, 6, maybe even 8 years depending on the purpose. But after three years or so it's going to be a pretty dated computer and the money you would spend on apple care is probably better put towards a new computer. At $125/year (that's years 2 and 3 of the parts warranty), you would be paying at least $400 for three additional years of coverage (the price would likely go up in the out years).

Personally, I think you're better off taking your chances and saving the money for a rainy day.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Your best choice may be: Before the 3 years run out, sell on eBay and buy a new computer. Even if you pay less than you did the previous time, you'll get a much better computer. Or just keep it and hope for the best. If you consider what extra warranty would cost you compared to the value of the computer, at some point it's not worth it anymore.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

check your credit card. Some cards will provide an additional year of warranty beyond the manufacturers warranty. If you buy a warranty extention such as Applecare, they'll give you the extra year of coverage AFTER the extended warranty period....that gives you a 4th year of coverage

so check your credit cards to see what they offer

8. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

After three years, you're macbook will be an antique. I skipped the Applecare altogether and sold it after a year and will buy another shortly. Total cost difference between what I sold it for and what I'll pay for an new one is less than $300 Canadian (closer to $200cdn).

9. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I can't imagine Apple would cover any of its products longer than 3 years. In my experience with macs, they last a long time. If something is gonna go wrong, it will probably happen within the first month (like all those random Macbook problems at launch), and you will be covered.
    With Best Buy, they know that most of their products will crap out after 3-5 years. So their warranties for specific items tend to last just before the breaking point.
    Apple and other retailers usually only cover iPods for two years, because the lithium ion batteries only work for a couple of hundred charge cycles, and they want you to pay for a replacement battery, or a new ipod.
    I don't wanna sound cynical, but that's how warranties work :eek: