AppleCare for my rMBP 15 or?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fcong, Feb 9, 2015.

1. fcong macrumors newbie

I just bought a refurb rMBP 15 (2014) from Apple.com, should have bought it last year...if everything goes smooth, I expect to keep this machine until 2017, so my question is ... should I go buy an AppleCare to have the laptop covered or what else would you recommend? Thank you!

2. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

yes buy applecare. if you are a student then you'll get a great discount on it too.

3. plastictoy macrumors member

If AppleCare gives you piece of mind, just pay it. Won't be the most expensive expense in the various money sinkholes of life.

4. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Are you going to game on it? or push it alot? Remember heat kills electronic devices overtime, in that case, get Applecare. Also shop around, I have got Applecare quite a few times of ebay for much cheaper and had no issues activating it.

5. NoHo macrumors 6502

Yes, Applecare is a must.

These new MBP's do not last like the older ones. My old MBP lasted me 6 years with minimal problems. When it was finally time to replace it I got the $2600 top of the line 15in rMBP and it was fine for the first 6 months, then the retina screen started having weird horizontal and vertical lines. Had it replaced, but then I had a GPU problem and had to get the logic board replaced. After a year of use, it's really slowing down.

6. dqt785 macrumors newbie

This. You won't find any truer.

7. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

AppleCare is an absolute must. As said above, for peace of mind more than anything else. And if something goes wrong with your computer then AppleCare has paid for itself many times over.

8. nylon macrumors 65816

nylon

If you plan to keep the machine at least 3 years Applecare is a no brainer. If any major part fails an out of warranty repair will cost you the price of Applecare if not significantly more. Plus they treat you a little bit better at the Genius Bar if you have Applecare.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

And you can add my post to all of the others which have already recommended Applecare.

Personally, I would never not buy Applecare for a computer.

In my case, I buy it for peace of mind for three years. Actually, Applecare also determines the length of time I hold onto a computer, - it governs my cycle of ownership - in that I will start contemplating buying a new computer, not when a technological breakthrough, or a new model appears, but a few months before Applecare is due to expire.

You may find that it is easier to sell on, too, if it has Applecare, in that it will serve to give a potential purchaser peace of mind, too.

However, most importantly of all, when arguing in favour of buying Applecare, is the economic, or financial argument. If anything does goes wrong, you will find that having Applecare will more than likely pay for itself. (This is because the cost of repairs or replacements for Apple computers can be rather expensive).

Moreover, I have actually availed of Applecare; the HDD of my old MBP died two and a half years after I bought it, and was repaired under Applecare.

Likewise, I have had Magsafe and keyboard issues with my MBA, which were also repaired without any problems because I had Applecare.

10. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

Definitely yes. Macs are pretty expensive, and it's the only apple device I've ever gotten apple care for. I've had my computer for a little over a year, and I've needed to get it repaired twice within those 14 months. I got the screen repaired for dead pixels, and I'm getting my fan repaired soon. The screen repair would have been about 700 dollars at apple.

11. fcong thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all previous comments, I truly appreciate your suggestions! It seems buying AppleCare is a no brainer thing!

Should I go ahead and buy it right now or just wait until approaching the end of my 1-year warranty?

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

You can buy it at any time up to the end of the first year after you have bought it, but not a minute after that.

I used to wait until nine or ten months, but, as I work abroad so much of the time, and am away for months at a time, these days, I usually just get it when I buy the computer, and can then rest easy in the knowledge that I have bought it and am covered for the three years.

13. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

buy it now so you do not forget later.

My macbook pro needed a screen replacement (manufacturing fault not crack) right around the end of my 1yr standard warranty. While most defects do occur within the 1st year, I still believe Applecare makes sense simply because the cost of the computer is too high. So i made sure to buy applecare just in case. With iPhones i never buy the warranty because the replacement parts cost much less.

14. webs1 macrumors member

My 2011 MBP 15 crapped out 2 weeks ago, about 20 days before my Applecare expired. Genius Bar replaced it with a brand new rMBP i7 2.8Ghz 16GB ram 1TB SSD for no change and with no hassle - yes, yes, yes, buy applecare!

15. aman20177, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017

aman20177 macrumors regular

16. n0id macrumors member

I'd feel bad if this option wasn't discussed, but i highly recommend squaretrade over applecare for macbooks/laptops. Squaretrade offers accidental damage, whereas applecare does not, but also has a small deductible.

And since laptops are inherently mobile....dropping/damaging it is a lot more likely.

Here's the price breakdown on 3 years on the lowest and highest rmbps.

13" rmbp, $1299. AC is $250, ST is $230 w/ $75 deduct, or $350 no deduct
    15" rmbp, $2499. AC is $350, ST is $399 w/ $75 deduct, or $460 no deduct.

So, you have a laptop and drop it. AC says your out of luck. ST says $75 and you get a new laptop.

17. fcong thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, seems like this is another option, but I was wondering if there was anyone on this forum has ever purchased a coverage plan from ST? Can you talk about your experience with the company? Have you sent in your laptop for repair/replacement so far? Thanks!

18. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Are you in Europe?

If so, you could consider not buying AppleCare.

AppleCare covers manufacturing defects. SO do EU consumer laws. Apple are very good at honouring EU consumer laws.

If, however you are outside the EU or Australia (they also have excellent consumer laws), I would seriously consider applecare.

19. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but applecare has always paid for itself due to various repairs. However, my rmbp is about a year and a half old and no problems so far. QC seems really good this time around.

20. jg321 macrumors 6502

I opted not to this time, despite this exact machine being a replacement for one that was replaced under Apple Care a couple of months before it ran out!

My reasoning? The original laptop (13" 2011 MBP) was clearly a lemon from the start. Needed repairing many times in the first year, and I already had Apple Care for that.

This one, no issues at all. Not a single flaw, it's been perfect. I have the option of purchasing AC unto Feb 25th, and I won't be doing.

Just my thoughts. In summary, I think if they work well for a year, chances are they'll keep on going.

21. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Is Apple care for macs only an extended warranty or does it cover accidental damage like Apple care plus for iOS devices?

22. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

The problem with ST is that it's not Applecare. With Applecare you get a MANUFACTURE warranty; in other words it is replaced with 100% genuine parts.

Sure ST covers accidental damage but how are they going to repair it, using 100% genuine parts or cheaper alternatives? Also how is turnaround time going to be compared to Applecare? You don't get the luxury of the genius bar or Apple retail stores with ST.

ST might make sense with other products that offer lousy manufacture warranties but Apple class is the gold standard.
    Applecare is product specific. They got applecare for Macs and Applecare for iPhones. No accidental damage on the Mac models. But--just so you know--the accidental damage policy is awful on the iPhones. The cost of Applecare plus + the deductible is almost the same cost as a screen replacement.

23. n0id macrumors member

It answers your questions on their site. 5 day repair turnaround. Reinbursement for any applecare genius appointments if you'd rather go to an apple store to get it fixed.

I highly doubt they use 3rd party hardware to repair rmbp's, due to the fact apple hardware is mostly proprietary. They'd have to use apple hardware just for it to work.

But to each his own. For a laptop, id rather have hardware defect AND accidental coverage, as accidental is the most likely damage to happen. It would suck to spill coffee on your 30 day old $2500 rmbp. Or have someone bump into your bag and damage the case/screen.

I also get extended manufacturer warranty through my AMEX card, and i could use my home owners insurance if it was stolen....so with ST, i'm covered from anything else that may happen to it.

24. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

AppleCare is a must... I can't afford to pay expensive parts/repairs! :apple: