AppleCare from Ebay that lasted 2+ Years?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blairh, Aug 3, 2009.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I'm in the middle of discussing whether the AppleCare that I purchased on Ebay is indeed legit given that I only received a registration code via email (no box, serial code, etc). In case you are not up to speed regarding the topic, the issue at hand is two fold:

1. The person you purchased AC from on Ebay can return the AppleCare (they have the original box which also contains the serial code which you are never given, just the registration number) 3 months after your auction has ended. This is significant because after 90 days, a buyer cannot leave feedback for an item they purchased from someone on Ebay. And, the Ebay seller has a massive amount of positive feedback because they sold only a registration number to someone on Ebay, the number works upon registration, and the buyer rushes to leave the seller positive feedback.

2. Apple technically is not required to honor AC if you do not have both the serial code of the AC you purchased and proof of purchase. It's in the fine print.

So my question is: has anyone on this forum ever purchased AC from someone on Ebay (registration code only, not the box sealed) and then had it last the additional two years past your original warranty? This forum is filled with people saying "AC on Ebay is legit. Bought mine from a powerseller, code checked out, A OK". But the reality is that this scam can happen long after you purchased your AC from Ebay. In fact someone who bought "registration code only" AC from Ebay may never know their AC had been returned unless they need to use their AC and Apple tells them their AC is not valid (or they found out somehow by checking their AC status on the Apple website).

In case your wondering "how can a seller get away with this scam on ebay?" the answer is this: if you file a grievance with PayPal, they will always rule in favor of the seller. The reason is because AC on Ebay is labeled as an "intangible item" (it's a code) and therefore PayPal cannot continue with the claim.

Lastly the seller I purchased from is "App.Holdings", formerly knows as "MemoryMate".

Also: A good follow up question is: has anyone used their AC (purchased through a legit reseller or via Ebay and a code) and not been asked their serial number or proof of purchase?

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Yes the scam, as you said can happen.

If the seller has been around a while and has hundreds of sales and close to a 100% feedback, then they're most likely legit.

It's also best to pay using a credit card. If Paypal won't refund/investigate, your credit card company will - just keep a record of all communication, and supporting documents .

3. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

But I question my seller's high feedback rate. He is a 10,000 power seller. 98.7% positive feedback. But I also know he changed his username, which I find a bit strange. He used to go by "Memorymate". Also, I'm not sure explaining to a credit card company of my situation (in case he does return my AC with the code he gave me) is going to get my money back. What if he chooses to do so at some point down the road? Say a year from now. Will the CC company really refund my purchase for that? How do I even prove what I'm saying is true to them?

Take it from me, if you are interested in AC, do not purchase it from Ebay. Get it from Amazon (if you live in the states). They seem to have the lowest retail price as of now.

4. verdee macrumors newbie

I purchased my applecare from ebay and have had no problems with 2 episodes of warranty work (new magsafe adapter and replacing thw optical drive. You need to do the same thing you would do wuth any ebay purchase: research. Check into the seller and make sure he seems legit. I bought mine from someone who primarily did AC with good feedback. W

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I bought AppleCare from eBay last November but haven't had any troubles (knocks on wood). I've used the AppleCare to get a MM replaced past the one year period with no problems, so I know that it is applied.

6. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

I registered mine a year and three months ago and I'm still listed as covered.

TBH, I think the gamble of buying Applecare on eBay is worth it due to the huge savings. I got iPhone Applecare for half price and iMac Applecare for less than half price. It seems like there are only a few people that get screwed so the odds really are in your favour :p

7. AngryApple macrumors 6502

Why would anybody want to sell their AppleCare? :confused:

8. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Someone with a ton of positive AC feedback means nothing. The buyer quickly leaves positive feedback once the code they receive via email is sent by the seller. The scam involves the seller returning the AC three months after the original sale to the Ebay buyer. That way the buyer can no longer leave negative feedback because Ebay does not permit leaving a seller feedback 90 days post auction. I already explained this in the OP.

AngryApple - Ebay sellers sometimes return the AC for which they provided the Ebay buyer their registration code. This way the Ebay seller receives their money back from where they bought the AC in the first place, along with pocketing the Ebay buyers money. And the Ebay buyer can't do a thing because Paypal will vote in favor of the seller, and the buyer is also out of AC and most likely their window to purchase legit new AC has passed.

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

It does if that member has been around for a while. There are plenty of legit sellers out there.

If you're that worried, don't use the AC, and ask for a refund from the seller.

EDIT: For a while generally implies longer than 3 months. If enough complaints are made about a user, not counting the feedback system, eBay will look further into the seller's practices. Therefore, if the person has been around for a year or two then, and is a power seller, then it does mean something.

10. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Actually it doesn't. As I already explained my seller for the AC I bought has people flocking to leave him positive feedback once the codes they are sent to register their AC via email check out and work. 90 past the auction end date, feedback cannot be left for said AC item, so the Ebay seller can return the AC, get his money back, and keep the buyers. The buyer not only loses their money but also potentially the chance to get legit AC on their computer.

I already registered the number sent to me via email. I found the threads regarding this scam after the fact.

The seller will not refund, esp now that I registered the code. The seller is notorious with treating his customers rudely and often times ignoring all their emails post sale. Also, as I explained in detail, he is off the hook from Ebay or PayPal. It's a fool proof scam on his part unless the authorities track him down. But I believe he lives in Australia.

11. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I bought my Applecare from... sherry420 I believe. In January. Still says I'm registered so that makes me happy.

If you know there's a bad apple, just skip it. Not everyone on eBay is trying to cheat you.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I bought the AppleCare for my iMac from memorymate last December and registered it straight away.

I've just checked my warranty status on the Apple Support page and everything is in order, I've still got cover until May 2011.

13. nickane macrumors 6502

damn. didn't know about this. I just bought applecare for my iphone off the same guy i think (app.holdings?). Registered yesterday, still no response from apple. Should it take that long? To be fair only one person mentions the scam in question in the feedback and he's been around for over 5 years, but I really wish I'd arranged for the box to get shipped out to me.

Luckily I bought it on credit card but with a month left on my warranty and a busted 2G out of warranty, I really want applecare for peace of mind.

14. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

My girlfriend purchased AppleCare for her Macbook last year (from ebay, only receiving a code) and she had the bottom of the laptop replaced due to cracking past the 1yr period, no problem.

15. paulmoscow macrumors member

It's really impossible in the case of PowerSellers. I don't think they will be able to return several hundred AC contracts without raising a red flag with Apple.

16. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

For everyone doubting this scam, listen, I hope we all luck out on the registration code only AC we purchased. But please don't tell me just because you bought Apple care 8 months ago from Ebay and it's still registered that it is legit. The AC can be returned by your Ebay seller at any time.

I even came across an Ebay guide to this scam yesterday. Explains it in detail. The bottom line, you are taking a risk if you purchase code only AC from Ebay. I wish I paid more and got the sealed box from Amazon now.

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-APPLECARE-APPLE-CARE-A-warning-to-buyers_W0QQugidZ10000000011731235

17. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I like to save money like anyone but is it really worth the difference? How much are you saving? I buy through the Education Store and pay about $119 for a Imac, $99 for a Mac Mini and $69 for a Iphone. With what I see on Ebay I don't think it's worth it.

18. WilliamG macrumors 604

How on earth can AppleCare be returned? If the box is opened or the serial number is used, there will be no returns!

19. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I don't know the answer to that. I'm not sure AppleCare can be returned once someone has registered the code from that AppleCare. If that is the case, then that means codes purchased from Ebay that checked out after being registered are 100% safe. I sure hope that is the case. But I've read online of others have their AC terminated by Ebay sellers who did indeed return the AC even after the AC was registered by the Ebay buyer. Who knows.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Apple refunds you the money for the remaining unused time of coverage, that's how. IIRC it's spelled out in the terms and conditions

21. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Applecare is tied to the machine's SN. To return it, you must furnish Apple with both the applecare serial number, and the computer serial number. I had one of my notebooks stolen and did this, and was required to furnish proof of both parts before my remaining applecare was prorated-refunded.

22. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That's very nice for you if you qualify for that discount.

Not all Mac buyers are still at school. :rolleyes:

23. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

It seems you have an extreme case of buyers paranoia! You have been going on and on about how you and others might get scammed with AC. Well, you kinda knew that going in that there would be a risk buying cheaply. There is a price for everything and you're paying it now. It's called "peace of mind." In order to get a great discount on AC, you have to take the slight risk that you MIGHT get scammed. Oh wait, you mean you wanted cheap price and security in your purchase too?!

Funny thing is, you haven't been ripped off (yet) and odds are that you probably won't. Still, you're going around acting like you did get scammed and it's only a matter of time until it shows up. Well, what if it doesn't? Won't you feel silly? You are expending a lot of time and energy worrying about whether the sky is going to fall. It's too late to do anything about your purchase now, so why not relax and enjoy life and worry about the "scam" when and if it every happens? If you do wind up getting ripped off, then that it the time to scream and let everyone know that "so and so" is a scum-bag thief and warn everyone not to buy from ebay... yada yada. Until then, a simple warning of a POTENTIAL scam is probably sufficient. You don't need to wage a campaign about the woes of buying AC on ebay. Most of us already know the (slight) risks that are involved.

24. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Could my ebay seller use my serial number for AC to look up my MBP's serial number? If so, he can easily return the AC. If not, I'm in the clear.

And THX1139, I make no apologies for shedding light on this topic and attempting to figure out what the story is here. I had no idea that the cheap AC I was purchasing on Ebay was indeed potentially scammy at all. I saw a 10,000 + positive seller rate, I felt there was no risk, so you are out of line to assume I knew the risk and am now somehow at fault because of this.

You are correct, I have not been ripped off "yet". However the potential to be clearly remains, along with numerous people at this forum who are advising me that serial code only AC is indeed a scam. I started this specific thread seeking out people who had purchased code only AC on Ebay and have had the 2 years past their original warranty expire, so that at least I'd know there was legit cases out there.

None of my continuing replies to this thread, that I started, are an attempt to create more anxiety for myself or others. I'm just adding to this discussion. I sure hope I do end up feeling "silly" if my AC does indeed now last 2 years from now. You trying to call me out here is absurd.

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I don't really think that your greatest danger is having the seller try to get a refund from apple after you've bought AC from him. Seriously, how many times could a seller pull that trick without it becoming so blatantly obvious? It seems that having Apple ask for an acceptable receipt (which you don't have) is more apt to get you caught out than having the seller go for a refund.

If you run into trouble with "code only" AC, I think it's far more likely to be because you've bought a counterfeit AC code produced from a code generator, AC bought with a stolen credit card, AC product that was stolen ("fell off a truck" as they say), or maybe a code that was improperly diverted from the corporate world. In all of the discussion about "code only" Applecare, I've yet to see anybody point to where Apple or their authorized resellers are selling such a product directly to the public. That alone should alert you to the fact you've got a certain amount of risk when you buy "code only".