Applecare: G4 to Penryn?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jzj687, Mar 8, 2008.

1. jzj687 macrumors regular

Hi,

Two questions:

1) If one has an old PB G4 (covered by applecare) that becomes unusable, will it be reaplaced by a new Macbook?

2)If one drops the abovementioned PB, which is subsequently ruined, is it covered by applecare/replaced?

Thanks

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You are not _planning_ to drop your PowerBook, are you? :eek:

4. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

1. YES!!
    2. i see where you're going with this!
    i'm reporting your IP address to steve right now!

:D

put your pB in an oven..
    450 C is enough for 15 min.
    well Done, it's not accidental damage.!

i'm sure you'll be cooking a lot of parts inside!
    post some pix

5. tip macrumors 6502

tip

If it's still covered by AppleCare, faulty parts will be replaced. Your laptop will not be replaced.

No. AppleCare is not insurance. Accidental damage is not covered.

6. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Awimoway

Too funny! If only the OP had said that it was "a friend" who had the old PB, I wouldn't have suspected a thing! :p

It brings up an interesting point, however. Do you think Applecare is worth it? It doesn't cover accidental damage, which is by far the most common kind of damage.

But how common is part failure after the first 90 days? If your Mac has a faulty part, isn't it highly likely the failure will manifest itself immediately, not spontaneously? I'm not saying spontaneous failures don't happen, but I'm wondering if they're frequency is so low that the Applecare isn't really worth it if money is tight.

I bring this up because I'm upgrading from a 5-year-old G4 PowerMac to a Penryn MBP, and it alone is all I can afford right now. I've needed a more current pro-level computer for a while now, but money is tight, and I'm going without Applecare, which I used only once, for my PowerMac — within the first 90 days.

7. comptr macrumors 65816

trust me apple care is worth it my macbook pro has been in the shop 6 times in the first year and 2 times after my original warranty was done and all I had was apple care. And now they are replacing the hole unit with a brand new base model penryn macbook pro.