Applecare has become a joke

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NOD, Apr 27, 2010.

1. NOD macrumors member

So I started experiencing problems w/ my '07 2.4 Gig MBP last week. It got to the point that it wouldn't even boot off an external. So I took it to the Apple Store and they sent it off to the repair center.

I just got a call from the repair center -- they said that I have 2 issues. One is that my video card is screwed (known issue -- would've been fixed for free even w/o applecare).

The OTHER issue is one that, in their opinion, is due to 'excessive dust,' and requires that they replace the logic board, etc. And they said that would involve 'some cost.' When I asked how much...

$960!!!!:eek::eek::confused::confused:

I asked them what exactly I could've POSSIBLY done in order to avoid this, how I could've CAUSED this, and how this is not covered under applecare. The response? "Well, it's not covered b/c we think the computer's failure was due to 'external factors.' As for how you could avoid this in the future -- you should try to avoid excessively dusty environments.":rolleyes:

At this point, I went ballistic.

Mind you, I've NEVER left the house w/ this computer. Not once. I don't work on construction sites. I'm not a desert dweller. Hell, I have a maid who comes 3 times a week to clean. And I have a 2001 Sunflower Imac, a 2001 ibook, a 2003 Powerbook, 3 Mac Mini's, a Mac Pro, and about $50,000 worth of home theater electronics that all work flawlessly, and have never had problems.

I've had it w/ Applecare. Prior to this point, I have had Applecare w/ all of my Macs, and, up to and until the last time I needed to use it (about 4 yrs ago), I had never had any problems whatsoever w/ their service. But this experience, in concert w/ those of friends who have had similar problems w/ Applecare the last couple of years, has soured me permanently on Applecare. It seems to have morphed from something that was put in place for the purpose of customer service and retention into an upfront charge that has no utility for the customer, and is purely a profit measure.

Apologies for the rant. I'm just incensed.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It makes no sense. So what is the status of your MacBook Pro? The way I look at it is the GPU is dead so the logic board is getting replaced regardless so why even bring up the issue that dust could've affected the logic board and it will require you to pay? I'd give a call to CSR and explain the issue. I'm confident that they will take care of you because there's nothing to indicate that you actually did anything to the computer.

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

You have to be! Cause what they've told you is completely scam!

The graphics card on the '07 MBP (I had the same book and the same issue) is soldered on the logic board. There is no way they could possibly replace the graphics card without also replacing the logic board!

My replacement took 2 days and they even replaced the superdrive, which was broken and I didn't even know it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd highly suggest you go to another AASP cause the one you got there apparently is crap!

4. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

That's just crazy. What happened after you 'went ballistic'? Did you ask to speak with someone higher up? Maybe you were just talking to some kid who didn't have his day and couldn't be bothered helping someone out that day. As you say, it's completely reasonable to expect full service if you use your machines properly. External factors BS is just too easy to throw out there, and they absolutely shouldn't for the price you're paying.

5. nimski62 macrumors regular

512-674-2000

Apple Customer Relations.

Don't take 'no' for an answer, you'll be rockin' your 2010 mbp in no time. Trust me ;)

6. lilo777 macrumors 603

I have an idea. The guy should just tell them to replace the graphics card then and leave the logic board in place :D

7. NOD thread starter macrumors member

She also said that the Hard drive would have to be replaced, along w/ the fan.

She said I had 2 choices

1) to get it repaired and I eat the cost
    2) send it back to the Apple Store unrepaired and try to talk to them about it.

I asked if there was someone else -- a supervisor, anyone -- to whom I could speak. Her response was that there was no reason to bother, and they'd say the same thing.

I just told her to send it back to the Apple Store.

Screw it -- I was thinking about getting a new MBP anyway at some point in the next year or so. Guess I'll be ordering one in the next couple of hours...

Part of me wants to escalate this, but a bigger part of me just wants to cut bait and move on. I'm afraid I'll just act like a raving lunatic if this continues.:mad:

8. crazylegsmurphy macrumors 6502

And this...is why AppleCare sucks. They know if they push a little most people will back down to avoid the hassle. By you simply caving in, it sends the message that they can come up with any ass backwards excuse to not honor the extra service you've purchased.

I would personally follow it through not only for yourself, but for everyone else.

9. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I agree.

It shouldn't have to be this way, it wasn't years ago, but recently I had a similar experience with my mid 2009 MBP. They were very arrogant, stubborn, and refused to fix it. Well I simply wrote an email up the chain of command and suddenly their entire demeanor changed. All of a sudden they became friendly and helpful. Too bad I had to push them (courteously but firmly) to get a result.

I got a brand new MBP from them. So in this case it cost them a heck of a lot more that if they would have been as courteous as I was, and simply did the repair.

I am a huge Apple supporter and loyal customer. I've purchased over 20 new PowerBooks / MacBook Pros in a 10 yr period, yet there are some areas where they are too arrogant and in denial about.

Cheers... :)

10. NOD thread starter macrumors member

After taking a few minutes to cool down, I completely agree with you.

Thanks to the above member who gave me the customer service line. They're closed right now, but I'll be calling them bright and early tomorrow to try to get this resolved.

It still just makes me so friggin' mad.

11. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Just remember to stay polite, even though you might wanna curse their ears off :p

12. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Wow! I'm speechless after reading this. Man I feel for the OP. This is completely absurd!!! I am new to Apple but have heard nothing but wonderful things about their customer service. Regardless you paid for the extra warranty and they refuse to honor that. Isn't that a law suite? The computer failed on its own which resulted from normal use which means they have to repair it. I agree with the others call and try and get a customer service manager and be as polite as you can and if you have to kiss some ya know what ;)

I personally think its not worth getting fixed. You should be sent an equivalent NEW laptop. Good Luck to you let us know the outcome!

13. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I don't know what to say. I've DROPPED my 2007 MBP and it has a huge divot in the corner, cracked the plastic bezel holding the top/bottom together, puckered the metal out over the Superdrive. It obviously LOOKS like it has been dropped.

Even still, when my GPU went bad, they replaced that and the Logic Board. Later, due to another issue, they replaced my logic board a second time. And three batteries replaced. In each case, not so much as a blink. They noted on my work orders each time the machine had cosmetic damage too.

Dust?!?!?! Wow, you'd think I'd have been given that kind of treatment due to obviously DROPPING my laptop. I've gotten treated like a King every time I've had issues.

14. gooter80 macrumors member

So wait, Apple is totally screwing you and you're about to just order another one??

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

For every great story that you hear about, there's probably an equally disturbing one. Applecare just isn't always good, and the issue is that, when you spend over $2000 on a computer, you expect a certain quality of care, but Apple routinely gives you much worse care, and has the gall to blame it on the customer.

16. mike8717189 macrumors member

Wow, his is my 1st. MacBook pro' and cust. service is one of the reasons I purchased it. Are people havingmore trouble when they sending machines out or when they walk in ?...

17. NOD thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I know. Sounds ridiculous, right? But:

1) I have been using and loving macs since my first Apple II+ 30 years ago. At this point, not getting Applecare but getting OS X is worth it for me (now, I certainly won't be telling the customer relations person that, but it is what I know best and love most as an OS).

2) I had been strongly considering getting a new MBP before the end of the year anyway. Generally, wrt my main laptop, I have a 3-4 year cycle (hence my '01 ibook, '03 PB, '07 MBP). I had just noticed that my MBP still was going to be under Applecare for 60 more days, and I figured getting it fixed for free was a no-lose, as it could be used by my wife or son in the future.

18. choco macrumors member

choco

I agree 100%. Paying premium price for a laptop requires, I think, premium customer service at the least. So I urge you to follow through. Who knows, there might be a shiny new Macbook Pro at the end of this ordeal. Good luck and keep us posted!

19. gooter80 macrumors member

Well my friend, you are a more loyal customer than I. If I were in your position I would certainly be looking elsewhere for my computer needs, but I completely understand where you're coming from. Since you are ultimately going to stick with the brand I would raise some major hell and hopefully something good comes out of this. Good luck, I'm rooting for you.

20. thesk1llerz macrumors member

thesk1llerz

i havent neede apllecare(yet) but they have replaced my dads iphone 4 times without question. he net to apple store, explained whats wrong took out sim card and placed in a spanking new iphone :0

21. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

If this happened to me I'd NEVER buy another Apple product again.

22. NOD thread starter macrumors member

Actually, I had forgotten about my iphone repair. Yeah, I ended up having to get my launch iphone fixed when the home button stopped working at one point. Went off w/o a hitch, and I've since gotten a 3GS.

Like you, my prior experiences w/ Applecare were great. But I had 3 friends who have had MAJOR problems w/ Applecare for their computers in the last year, and I must admit that I was a little worried when I took this sucker in for repair.

I don't know if they just decided that first-rate service was no longer worth it, but I've probably referred 60+ customers (all of whom were fellow physicians or physicians-in-training, who now swear by their macs and will likely buy them for decades) to them in the last 10 years, and one of my selling points was their excellent customer service. I almost feel like I've done those colleagues and trainees a disservice now.:(

23. harpster macrumors regular

I've always had great service with Applecare. In different Apple products I've had imac backplanes, logic boards, & power supplies replaced. They even replaced a power supply when my Applecare was expired by a few years when they saw that it had been replaced before. I had opened up the G5 iMac to change RAM, HD, etc and they didn't say anything about those upgrades. More recently they replaced a HD in my IPOD no questions asked. I think it's worth it but I do wait until the end of the first year to get it. I think you got a bad tech and if you work through the support line to get another appointment I believe you can get service under the Applecare warranty...

On the other hand "dust" is an electronics killer. No matter what your environment, if there is a fan you will accumulate dust and if that air flow gets restricted bad things can and will happen. I use a small compressor to clean my mac's and pc's periodically... I was a bench tech at a PA manufacturer and many of the power amps and came in for repair were from thermal overload caused by clogged fan vents. We usually did warranty the amps even though it was clearly neglect on their part because we wanted to keep the customer. So if you say you will never ever buy a Mac again to the right person I'm sure you WILL get service.

24. NOD thread starter macrumors member

I certainly know that dust can be a killer, but I guess one of my points with the above comments is that I have lots of electronics (including multiple laptops) that have been in my house a lot longer and have displayed no such problems.

As for cleaning it w/ a compressor -- I've used mine before for my mac pro (when doing 3rd-party RAM installs, for BR/HDDVD drive install, etc) and even one of my Mini's, but I have to say that I wouldn't feel comfortable taking my laptops apart to do the same. :eek:

25. harpster macrumors regular