Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
IOW, the repair center was full of sh$% and just trying to bilk me for money.:mad:

Can't wait to talk to the customer relations lady tomorrow...

Sort of sad that may indeed be the case.

Apple should step on this to eliminate the possibility, they shouldn't be able to double bill the repair and get dumb customers to cough up dough.

If somebody switched from a PC, they might not know that the covered warranty already replaces the parts the they are being charged for.

Though I can understand how it happens, always worked this way for older vehicles.

They come out and say the repair will be $1500, but when you get them to research and cover it under warranty ... they call you back and say they just found something else that needs to be done RIGHT NOW and it'll be $1200.

If there is a benefit from cheating the customer at the tech or shift managers level, it is going to happen.

Unless they are too damn busy doing things, that they tend to only do the shortest repair possible billing customers for stuff that actually needs to be done. Actually seen places like this, too busy to make their job any longer or harder.

NOD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Well, I picked it up today from the Apple Store, and am using it right now:D. The repair center hadn't actually replaced the logic board -- per the mac genius, that was done at the Apple Store once it was returned 'unrepaired.' The repair ctr didn't actually do anything.

Magically, all of the problems I had had before -- inability to boot, freezes, and graphics -- have all disappeared. And it's even running a lot cooler now (38 c ATM). Sure would've been nice if they could've replaced the keyboard (as my D,A,S,E, I, O, L, M, N, and C buttons have all worn away to the point that I can't even see the letters -- good thing I type so much and my fingers know where everything is), as I would THINK that would be considered 'normal wear,' but whatever. I didn't ask for it or anything. It just would've been nice.

I wanted to put it through the paces this weekend before I call the Apple Customer Relations people back, but Disk Utility is telling me that the HDD, which they had wanted to replace b/c it was 'defective,' checks out just fine.
I'm honestly not sure what I will tell customer relations, other than the fact that, despite refusing the $955 'repair,' my mbp is working great...

2high2aim

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
SoCal
do you think they actually repaired anything...also the weared out keys could be replaced part of apple ca so I know what I am going to report after 2.5 yrs.:rolleyes: :cool: That would be nice but I am going to be taking care of the computer real well :) I bought a invisishield n soon purchasing a sleeve for it

nxent

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2004
seattle
Well, I picked it up today from the Apple Store, and am using it right now:D. The repair center hadn't actually replaced the logic board -- per the mac genius, that was done at the Apple Store once it was returned 'unrepaired.' The repair ctr didn't actually do anything.

Magically, all of the problems I had had before -- inability to boot, freezes, and graphics -- have all disappeared. And it's even running a lot cooler now (38 c ATM). Sure would've been nice if they could've replaced the keyboard (as my D,A,S,E, I, O, L, M, N, and C buttons have all worn away to the point that I can't even see the letters -- good thing I type so much and my fingers know where everything is), as I would THINK that would be considered 'normal wear,' but whatever. I didn't ask for it or anything. It just would've been nice.

I wanted to put it through the paces this weekend before I call the Apple Customer Relations people back, but Disk Utility is telling me that the HDD, which they had wanted to replace b/c it was 'defective,' checks out just fine.
I'm honestly not sure what I will tell customer relations, other than the fact that, despite refusing the $955 'repair,' my mbp is working great...

that's great news. i'm still a bit curious as to what the deal is with the repair center. strange thing is the logic board on my early 2008 mbp died a few months back and i unfortunately didn't have apple care. after they ruled out the graphics card causing the failure, they charged me a flat rate of $320 to replace the logic board (and battery, since that was getting old too). they'd told me $320 was the standard amout they charged for 'out of warranty' repairs, regardless of the issue.

Apple Care is no different then any other extended warranty - it is a rip off. All extended warranties take advantage of people's fear. The fact is that most products, if they are going to fail, will fail in the standard warranty period. If you added up all the money spent on Apple Care over the years and instead used that money for repairs, you'd have money left.

Sure there are occasions where people are "saved" by an extended warranty, but in the long run, you are better off never buying one. These are money makers for companies, or else they wouldn't sell them and push them so hard.

I am sorry you are having trouble with Apple Care and I hope it works out, but if you never buy it again, you will be better off.

If one were to total the cost of repairs to my rev0 2006 MBP, it would have tripled the cost of the system.

Because I had applecare, I paid a total of $0, and received an entirely new computer to replace it for free.

The simple answer is 'No'.

My bosses trackpad 'button' has failed on his 2009 MBP15 - but he doesn't have time to hand it over to the Apple Store and lose it for an unspecified amount of time...

if he were to go to the apple store, have them verify the issue, then ask to hang onto it until the parts are available for repair, he might be able to get it done in less than a day, assuming he made a very specific appointment.

Huh, that's odd. Do they intend any of their laptops to be targeted/marketed to businesses/corporations? If so, how can they get away with such inflexible service operations? Picture the travelling executive using a MBP that fails while on a multi-day road trip. Under Apple's support structure, s/he's SOL for the trip. At least with on-site support, it's possible to get support/repair whereever you & the laptop are currently located. To me - and this is just my opinion - it almost seems as though Apple has made a conscious choice to step away from corporate buyers.

I'd have to confirm with my brother, but I believe large business clients get alternate treatment a sort of "corporate" applecare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.