Applecare help!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by apedosmil, Jan 28, 2008.

1. apedosmil macrumors newbie

My 1 year warranty is about to end for my Macbook in mid Feb.

I bought this Macbook new and unopened from someone on craigslist. It's running perfectly and I don't plan on selling/getting a new laptop anytime soon so I want to get the Applecare warranty.

All the lady gave me was a copy of the receipt and I have the box serial number. What do I need to get Applecare on this Mac?

Thanks

2. MacBooksRock macrumors regular

When I enrolled my 17" iMac, all I needed was the $ for AppleCare, and an internet connection to enroll it online. But if you need a receipt now, that copy should be perfectly fine.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Shouldn't need a receipt, just the machine's serial number; that's what APP will be tied to. Proof of purchase has never been required.

4. apedosmil thread starter macrumors newbie

What defines the warranty end/start date for Applecare?

The serial number or purchase date?

Thanks.

I just noticed I found a old email from Apple when I registered my Macbook and it gave me a ID number for it. Is that relevant?

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I purchased Apple Care for my MBP in November, and the date seemed to be related to the date I registered the computer, which in my case was the day I purchased it.

I did purchase it directly from an Apple store, so maybe that is how they had the exact date.

I actually purchased my Apple Care from eBay since it was so much cheaper. As I recall, all I had to do to activate it was login on the Apple home page. There are instructions in the Apple care box.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

they'll go by the date on her receipt, the day she bought the computer from Apple, in case their record for the serial number show a different date.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

My rule is: If you have problems in the first year, buy extended warranty. If you have no problems at all, don't buy it. So I wouldn't recommend buying it at all. Worst case, if you have problems, sell the MacBook on eBay for parts, add the money you saved by not buying extended warranty, and that is a substantial part of what you'd have to pay for a refurbished MacBook.

8. apedosmil thread starter macrumors newbie

Good news about my serial number, it ends on Feb. 15th!

Do you guys recommend the warranty? I'm pretty cautious with my laptop. I've also upgraded the ram and hard drive, I heard it doesn't void the warranty but I don't know for sure.

Thanks.

Thanks, gnasher, I just noticed your post.

I have had zero problems with it. I'm just worried that something bad will happen, I can't afford a new laptop anytime soon.

9. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

With laptops, yeah get the Applecare. Try looking on eBay for it. I got my Mac Pro Applecare for $139 on eBay. Retail it goes for $249.

I've also heard people getting it from LA Computer:
    http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi-bin/rpcart/featured.cgi?group=appcare
    (I haven't, just heard others have so do at your own risk).

-Kevin

10. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

11. apedosmil thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/L_A_Computer_Company

I wish there were more reviews :-X

Amazon has it for 200, I think I'm just gonna get it from them as it's probably the safest.

Does Apple still cover a Macbook that has ram and a hard drive upgraded by someone other then Apple?

12. T-Stex macrumors 6502

The MacBooks' RAM and HD are considered "User-Replaceable" by Apple, so you shouldn't have any problems with that.

13. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

Like anything else its a gamble. do you want to pay 200 now incase your monitor dies or motherboard crap out? If so then it was a good gamble. If not its good peace of mind.

I personally think for laptops its a good deal for desktops i tend to shy away from them.

14. eswank macrumors 6502

I buy my AppleCare right before the one year of having whatever machine I have even if I had problems or not. You never know what can happen. I always buy my AppleCare from Apple using my educational discount. You may be able to find it elsewhere cheaper but that's just me.

15. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I always get APLCARE. Saved me when my PB started to show signs of white spots on the display. Without APLCARE it would have been a pricey repair.

16. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

Compusa is selling all applecare for 50% since they are closing down...I'd say go buy if the compusa in your area still has some left.