AppleCare is so expensive for MacBooks?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MythicFrost, Oct 6, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hey, I'm wondering why the price for the AppleCare for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro is @ 429 (roughly) but the Mac Pro is the same?

It seems quite expensive, even the iMac is cheaper.
    (this is @ the australian store)

Kind Regards

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The price of AppleCare will be calculated based on likelihood of damage and average cost of repair. A portable computer is usually treated rougher than an iMac or MacPro, so it is more likely to need repairs. And a lot of the repair cost is the time of taking the computer apart, which is longer on a MacBook. And broken keyboards are much more expensive on a MacBook; on an iMac/MacPro you repair the keyboard and mouse by grabbing a brand new keyboard and mouse; on the MacBook that is really expensive.

That's also why there is not much difference between MacBook and MacBook Pro; there is not much difference in the repair cost.

3. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

I agree

I see your point. Mac Pro parts are much more costly usually compared to our macbooks. Also the last guys argument is null and void. Yes macbook books are treated more roughly and MacPro's, but Apple does not cover problems caused by roughly treated computers. If they even think the problem was caused by rough usage, they will not touch it with Applecare. i believe that Apple knows they sell much more notebooks than desktops, therefore they will be doing more repairs on notebooks. I think it's all about greed. I love Apple, but lately Apple is turning into the ugly company they once tried not to be.

4. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I personally feel it's worth every dime they charge for it. I have both a Macbook Pro and an iMac, 2 years old and 10 months old respectively. I have Applecare on both, though I didn't get it on the MBP until right as the included initial year ran out.

Luckily, about 2 weeks after I extended the warranty the logic board went out and Apple happily replaced the $700+ part for free. That was a year ago. Last week the battery started to bulge out of the bottom of the laptop and showed slight burn marks; I took it in again and was given a brand new battery on the spot and walked out of the store 10 minutes later without being charged a cent.

I fully intend to pay the cost asked on any Apple products I purchase in the future as well. On the off-chance you need the warranty, Apple is really the best company I've ever had to deal with when it comes to fixing or replacing their products. I highly recommend paying for the Applecare because you'll really regret it if you don't.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Part of repair cost is labor

Laptops require more labor

6. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I think as a whole Applecare is over-priced.

If you're new to apple, perhapps the phone support may be of use.

I'd rather take a gamble that the computer won't crap out. And if it does, outside the normal warrenty period, then time to upgrade.

7. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I almost thought the same thing, but if you look at the numbers that doesn't make sense. I paid $3000 for a maxed out MBP 2 years ago, and about $300 to get the warranty on it. Applecare has since then covered nearly $1000 worth of parts/labor and so forth on the laptop, and it's just as good as it was the day I bought it and probably has plenty of years to go.

If something does happen to it in the next year, Applecare will cover that as well, but beyond that my warranty will have expired and at that time I'll consider any defects as justification for a new machine. But when you spend thousands on a piece of technology, something going wrong in the first year or two by no means is a reason to just go out and buy another.

8. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

It's insurance - it's always expensive until you use it.

9. devburke Guest

Not “treated roughly” as in abused, just normal wear and tear. An iMac or Mac Pro is stationary. A notebook gets carried around, stuffed sideways into backpacks, etc. That doesn’t mean it’s not covered any more. If you throw it against the ground and the screen breaks, that’s the sort of thing that’s not covered.

AppleCare is VERY worth it for a notebook.

10. Maccin475 macrumors member

Surprisingly, Sony covers "accidental" breakage/roughage.

11. Flatfoot75 macrumors newbie

Ironically, I just got my Macbook Pro back today after having to go to the Apple Store Genius Bar last Thursday because the screen wouldn't come on anymore. Long story short, they sent it away and I got it back 3 business days later. According to the "product repair summary" they replaced the logic board, Battery, and 2GB of ram without me even complaining about it. Thank God for the Applecare which I purchased on Ebay for cheaper than the going rate! :)