AppleCare = Limited or Full?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Clete2, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I have an iPhone and I noticed that the extended AppleCare warranty is limited (e.g. if I drop it, it isn't covered).

I currently have a Dell and the extended warranty covers it if I drop my laptop or if I spill coffee all over it. Does the AppleCare warranty cover user damage for MacBook Pros?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nope, AppleCare does not cover accidental damage.

3. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

Hmm. I suppose a SquareTrade warranty would.

Do you recommend I buy AppleCare on a MBP? Seems almost worthless (especially if the battery has a 1-year warranty like Dell has).

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes I almost always buy AC on my portables. I just do it after about the 10th month.

5. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

Yeah, that's what I'm doing on my iPhone. Buying the AppleCare about a week before it expires.

Do you have any experience with SquareTrade? I really like the accidental damage.

6. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

what's the difference between buying it right before your warranty expires?
    even if you buy AC the day you get your product, it still extends it for 2 years AFTER your initial 1 year expires. it doesn't start right when you add it to your machine.

and yes, i would definitely get AC.
    even if there are 3rd party coverage you can buy, they won't be as good to you as apple is.
    (most likely)

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

No.

8. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

The initial investment for the machine isn't as much. It makes no difference having AC or not during the first year as far as warranty work goes. If you sell the machine or it's stolen or anything else where you don't have it, AC wasn't a unnecessary loss.

9. miles01110, Dec 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2013

miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

On the flip side you are more likely to sell it if it has AC and can usually ask for more money because of it. If your machine is stolen, you can flag your machine as stolen and if it ever pops up at a repair shop or Apple Store it can be used to arrest the thief and recover the machine.

10. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

Because I will have money then. I don't now.

Also, if I want to sell it on eBay when the new one comes out.. I'll just let the new person buy AC. AC doesn't add on enough price to justify it.

11. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

One reason to buy AppleCare sooner than later is phone support. Apple's standard warranty has 90-days of phone support (the first 90-days), if you get Apple Care (and register it) before the 90-days is up, you'll get phone support for the entire 3-years.

12. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

The 90 days is for software issues mainly. If you have a hardware problem after 90 days and before the year is up they still work through it on the phone long enough to determine if it's hardware or not. If it is they will mail you a service box. You are not going to get charged 50 dollars simply for calling...only if it's clearly not a hardware fault.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As others have statec it's a limited warranty and you'll hear from both sides about buying now versus the 11 month. The risk of waiting is not having the money or not willing to plop that much down

another risk is forgetting and missing the renewel period. Personally if you have the cash at the time of sale then I'd buy AppleCare then

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I didn't buy AppleCare, if something goes wrong between now and June/July I suppose I will be out $200, but that's a risk that I am willing to take, depending on the new iPhone, I may or may not get it.

15. keithOrbit macrumors member