AppleCare = Limited or Full?

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
USA
I have an iPhone and I noticed that the extended AppleCare warranty is limited (e.g. if I drop it, it isn't covered).

I currently have a Dell and the extended warranty covers it if I drop my laptop or if I spill coffee all over it. Does the AppleCare warranty cover user damage for MacBook Pros?

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
USA
Hmm. I suppose a SquareTrade warranty would.

Do you recommend I buy AppleCare on a MBP? Seems almost worthless (especially if the battery has a 1-year warranty like Dell has).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yes I almost always buy AC on my portables. I just do it after about the 10th month.

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
USA
Yeah, that's what I'm doing on my iPhone. Buying the AppleCare about a week before it expires.

Do you have any experience with SquareTrade? I really like the accidental damage.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
what's the difference between buying it right before your warranty expires?
even if you buy AC the day you get your product, it still extends it for 2 years AFTER your initial 1 year expires. it doesn't start right when you add it to your machine.

and yes, i would definitely get AC.
even if there are 3rd party coverage you can buy, they won't be as good to you as apple is.
(most likely)

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I have an iPhone and I noticed that the extended AppleCare warranty is limited (e.g. if I drop it, it isn't covered).

I currently have a Dell and the extended warranty covers it if I drop my laptop or if I spill coffee all over it. Does the AppleCare warranty cover user damage for MacBook Pros?
No.

Jazojas12

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
(most likely)
The initial investment for the machine isn't as much. It makes no difference having AC or not during the first year as far as warranty work goes. If you sell the machine or it's stolen or anything else where you don't have it, AC wasn't a unnecessary loss.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
If you sell the machine or it's stolen or anything else where you don't have it, AC wasn't a unnecessary loss.
On the flip side you are more likely to sell it if it has AC and can usually ask for more money because of it. If your machine is stolen, you can flag your machine as stolen and if it ever pops up at a repair shop or Apple Store it can be used to arrest the thief and recover the machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
USA
even if you buy AC the day you get your product, it still extends it for 2 years AFTER your initial 1 year expires. it doesn't start right when you add it to your machine.

even if there are 3rd party coverage you can buy, they won't be as good to you as apple is.
(most likely)
Because I will have money then. I don't now.

Also, if I want to sell it on eBay when the new one comes out.. I'll just let the new person buy AC. AC doesn't add on enough price to justify it.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009

(most likely)
One reason to buy AppleCare sooner than later is phone support. Apple's standard warranty has 90-days of phone support (the first 90-days), if you get Apple Care (and register it) before the 90-days is up, you'll get phone support for the entire 3-years.

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
One reason to buy AppleCare sooner than later is phone support. Apple's standard warranty has 90-days of phone support (the first 90-days), if you get Apple Care (and register it) before the 90-days is up, you'll get phone support for the entire 3-years.
The 90 days is for software issues mainly. If you have a hardware problem after 90 days and before the year is up they still work through it on the phone long enough to determine if it's hardware or not. If it is they will mail you a service box. You are not going to get charged 50 dollars simply for calling...only if it's clearly not a hardware fault.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
As others have statec it's a limited warranty and you'll hear from both sides about buying now versus the 11 month. The risk of waiting is not having the money or not willing to plop that much down

another risk is forgetting and missing the renewel period. Personally if you have the cash at the time of sale then I'd buy AppleCare then

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I didn't buy AppleCare, if something goes wrong between now and June/July I suppose I will be out $200, but that's a risk that I am willing to take, depending on the new iPhone, I may or may not get it.