Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After expanding AppleCare+ monthly payments to a number of new territories in July, Apple has now made the scheme available to customers in the United Kingdom and Germany.

applecareplusiphone.jpg

Monthly payments for AppleCare+ are now available for iPhones, iPads, and Apple Watches in the U.S., Canada, Australia, Japan, the UK, and Germany, according to an AppleCare+ support document. The option to pay upfront for AppleCare+ remains.

In these countries and regions, when you purchase AppleCare+ coverage for your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch, you can choose to pay monthly or pay upfront for 24 months of coverage. For Apple Watch Edition and Hermes, you can pay upfront for 36 months.

If you paid upfront, you can purchase coverage on a monthly basis after the 24 or 36 months is over. To purchase the new coverage, go to mysupport.apple.com. Or on your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > General > About, then tap AppleCare+ Coverage Available and follow the onscreen instructions. This monthly plan automatically renews until canceled. You can't pay upfront for an additional 24 or 36 months.

In Australia, Canada, Germany, the United Kingdom, and the United States, you can purchase the new coverage within 60 days of the end date of your original coverage. In Japan, you can purchase the new coverage within 30 days of the end date of your original coverage.

The option to pay monthly rolled out in September 2019 for the United States. Monthly payment plans continue to renew each month until canceled, and ‌AppleCare‌+ coverage on a monthly plan continues beyond the standard 24 or 36 month (for the Apple Watch Hermes) period as long as monthly payments are continued.

Customers who purchase ‌AppleCare‌+ upfront and pay the full price for a standard ‌AppleCare‌+ plan can later upgrade to a monthly plan to continue ‌AppleCare‌+ support beyond 24 months. Monthly payments for ‌AppleCare‌+ vary based on device and country.

Article Link: AppleCare+ Monthly Payments Expand to the UK and Germany

lordDavidson

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2020
Just did this for my iPad, and isn't too different to paying for 24 months upfront.

However, I've just noticed now that monthly plans can not be transferred to another person, even with Family sharing (my idea was to give this to my partner when the 2021 iPads are out).

Reactions: whitedragon101

hr10

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
In Canada here it’s around 7.80 CDN
once u cancel it, you cannot reapply

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Just did this for my iPad, and isn't too different to paying for 24 months upfront.

However, I've just noticed now that monthly plans can not be transferred to another person, even with Family sharing (my idea was to give this to my partner when the 2021 iPads are out).

Can the new owner start paying the monthly plan on transfer of ownership?

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Speaking of monthly payments I'd really like to have iPhone Upgrade Program in my country. I wonder why they haven't launched it yet, would likely boost sales

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
Speaking of monthly payments I'd really like to have iPhone Upgrade Program in my country. I wonder why they haven't launched it yet, would likely boost sales

Here in the U.K. you still have to go in store to Apple for iUP compared to the States where it’s bricks and mortar and online.

Given the current climate perhaps Apple will roll it out internationally to more countries with iPhone 12?

RONS67

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2016
Over 24 months, the monthly payments add up to significantly more money than paying for 2 years up front.
The 2-year plan can be cancelled at any time for a pro-rated refund, IF the replacement/repair benefits haven't been utilized.

The Carny

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2012
I assume you can’t (pro-rata) refund an up-front AppleCare purchase and move on to the monthly plan?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Over 24 months, the monthly payments add up to significantly more money than paying for 2 years up front.
The 2-year plan can be cancelled at any time for a pro-rated refund, IF the replacement/repair benefits haven't been utilized.

The advantage of the monthly payments is that you get coverage for as long as you own the device or until Apple decides to stop supporting the monthly subscription. If you only plan on keeping the device for 2 years then yes it is cheaper to pay outright upfront.

StuartMoore

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2011
Scotland
I have an iPhone 11. It’s limited warranty runs out on the 24th of this month!

Can I add on AppleCare + for this device on the monthly payment plan?
I’d like to do it for my Series 5 Nike watch also...

Any help would be appreciated!

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have an iPhone 11. It’s limited warranty runs out on the 24th of this month!

Can I add on AppleCare + for this device on the monthly payment plan?
I’d like to do it for my Series 5 Nike watch also...

Any help would be appreciated!

Apple now has allowed the purchase of AppleCare+ to be within 1 year of purchase. After the first 60 days, you will need to bring the device in to have it physically inspected for any damage before you can purchase the monthly AppleCare payment.

Last edited:
Reactions: StuartMoore

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

StuartMoore

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2011
Scotland
Great! Where do I sign up?

Do you have a link?

Apple now has allowed the purchase of AppleCare+ to be within 1 year of purchase. After the first 60 days, you will need to bring the device in to have it physically inspected for any damage before you can purchase the monthly AppleCare payment.

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2011
From AppleCare+ T&C (Canada)
9. Cancellation
9.1 Your Cancellation Rights
(b) For Fixed-Term Plans:
(i) If you paid on a one-time basis for your Fixed-Term Plan and you cancel:
(A) Within thirty (30) days of your Plan’s purchase or receipt of this Plan, whichever occurs later, you will receive a full refund less the value of any benefits provided to you under the Plan.
(B) More than thirty (30) days after your receipt of this Plan, you will receive a pro-rata refund of the original purchase price. The pro-rata refund is based on the percentage of unexpired Plan Term from the Plan’s date of purchase, less (i) a cancellation fee of twenty-five (C$25) Canadian dollars or ten percent (10%) of the pro-rata amount, whichever is less, and (ii) the value of any benefits provided to you under the Plan.

If you intend to cancel around or a little after the one year mark you still have a viable option with the fixed upfront plan, even if you’ve used a screen replacement.

CAD$249.00 for AC+ on iPhone 11 Pro. 12 months elapsed (12 remaining). 10.38 per month is 124.56 remaining. Remove 10% fee (12.46) and one screen replacement (39.00) and you still get $73.10 back before taxes.

A different benefit is that the warranty is transferable through private sale; provide the proof of coverage and purchase receipt to the buyer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.