Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimtron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Yeah I had trouble finding it for my 2017 iMac. Not only do they not sell it anymore 3rd party, but Apple no longer gives you 1 year to decide to purchase AppleCare anymore.

Ah, bummer. So you need to buy it with the Mac, right?

ETA, from the Apple site:

Purchase AppleCare+ with your new Mac. Or buy it within 60 days of your Mac purchase:
  • Online (requires you to verify your serial number and run a remote diagnostic)
  • At an Apple Store (inspection of Mac and proof of purchase are required)
  • By calling 800-275-2273 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase)

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxglove9

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Yeah I had trouble finding it for my 2017 iMac. Not only do they not sell it anymore 3rd party, but Apple no longer gives you 1 year to decide to purchase AppleCare anymore.
This is the one that disappointed me. Wish they would have just added + as a better tier for accidents and such but kept normal for defects. So you could either get + within 60 days or regular within a year.

Reactions: phairphan

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004

Why do people STILL keep making this claim? It's demonstrably wrong. Pick up the phone, call the 800 number, or do on-line chat. The 60 day limit applies to AC+, not regular AC.

jimtron

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
"Not only do they not sell it anymore 3rd party, but Apple no longer gives you 1 year to decide to purchase AppleCare anymore."

"Why do people STILL keep making this claim? It's demonstrably wrong. Pick up the phone, call the 800 number, or do on-line chat. The 60 day limit applies to AC+, not regular AC."

I just had a chat on the Apple site. There is no regular AC (at least not for Macbook Pros). There's AC+, which must be purchased within 60 days. And there's the one year warranty that all Mac products come with. There's no other coverage option that you can add within a year, that I can find.

Last edited:

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Just went through this for a new iMac - bought the iMac from a retailer but had to go to the Apple website to buy AC+ (I think that was the only option available for an iMac). This involved running the remote diagnostic. I suppose this is to make sure I wasn't buying AC for a broken machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.