AppleCare not needed if bought with AMEX?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elephunkman, Jun 18, 2010.

1. elephunkman macrumors 65816

So I called AMEX and they explained their warranty thing of the additional 1 year of coverage in addition to the OEM warranty. All I needed was OG receipt to file the claim. Pretty cool if you ask me.

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Most credit cards give you double warranty. Same thing. :cool:

3. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Really? Because my friend's CHASE doesn't. Unless you're a premier member of the higher tier of the credit card programs, maybe.

4. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

does it matter if you bought it from ATT.com or APPLE.com ? also how do you file claims? which AMX or directly with the manufacture?

5. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Just need the original receipt and you do it through AMEX.

6. a3silver macrumors member

That's it exactly. I purchased my 3G on my AMEX but still purchased AppleCare. The Amex coverage is like insurance, you file a claim, if approved you are eventually reimbursed for repairs.

I had an issue with the headphone jack on the 3G after the initial warranty expired, I went to the Apple Store, they checked it out and gave me a replacement 3G on the spot. Took 10 minutes. Worth $70 in my opinion.

7. dojoman macrumors 65816

AMEX has the best consumer protection. Remember when the original iPhone came out? AMEX credited back $100 when Apple dropped the price?

8. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Well they better do something since I pay a membership fee. :p Wonder if they will do something if the white iphone is released shortly afterwards and they won't allow exchanges.

9. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

why dont AMX do that? they are not obligated to any thing if Apple change their price structure on a product

10. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

The better question to me would be:

If the phone needs to be replaced, do they give you your order amount back or the full value of the phone?

If they give me 300 bucks back for my broken phone and it costs me another 300-400 bucks on top of that to get a new one - it really wasn't worth a whole lot.

:confused:

11. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh I don't know. I assumed that if you are out of the warranty period and apple decides to charge you $100 for the repair at the genius bar, you could file that with AMEX and they will reimburse you for that amount.

12. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

True. But what if Apple can't repair it and they make you buy a new one?

13. err404 macrumors 68020

A friend of mine had an out of warranty (13 months) Macbook that had an $800 repair. He paid the repair out-of-pocket and then submitted the bill to AMEX for a full reimbursement.
    This is literally the reason I got my AMEX.

14. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

AMEX reimburses you for whatever costs associated. You just need to give them proof. :)

15. Mosco macrumors regular

Yeah, lots of credit cards have this (not sure I would say most). Amex seems to be the easiest. I have never made a claim before though. I say that because on my Chase Freedom card, you have to register the receipt or something with them after you buy it. Their's doesn't seem as easy as Amex.

16. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

My Chase card does, Master Card World. I think most Gold cards and similar are the same. :cool:

17. MarkG21 macrumors regular

My recent experience with AMEX claims

I dropped my phone which completely broke. They told me to do the out of warranty exchange (refurb phone) with apple which cost me $199 and tax. I then faxed that receipt to AMEX and received a credit within 48 hours. Can't beat that.

Basically, if something happens to your phone, you don't have to pay Apple full price for a new replacement phone. Just file a claim and Amex will direct you to Apple out of warranty program and then Amex will take care of you (if your approved that is)

18. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

19. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I'd be careful with that. I have read the terms of what they cover under warranty recently (to make sure it covers my macbook pro), and they specifically mention cellphones are not covered.

20. huskerchad macrumors regular

The Amex terms say that it is limited to the actual amount charged to your card or $10,000, whichever is less.

21. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Are you sure? Because my card's terms doesn't have that.

22. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Amex will also give you 90 days against lost or stolen item. Some dude stole my MAcbook Pro and iphone in my trunk of my car. Filed a police report, got $3k back in 4 business days. I love AMEX, thanks.

23. bushbaby macrumors 6502a

bushbaby

AE Plat gave back $200, the exact amount that Apple dropped the price to, just a couple of months after it came out. What instigated this partial refund was AE used to have a great automatic protection for the first months after a purchase. If it was lost, damaged or stolen in that time, they'd replace it. Even though they said they'd changed that policy a short time before the first iPhone price drop, they decided to offer this. They might have figured that too many people would be inclined to say their phone was damaged (or whatever was still covered) to deal with this sudden drop in value. In any event, it was typical of the great service AE provides (and yes, we pay for with hefty annual fees).

But I still bought Applecare for my current iPhone.

That's great to hear. Is this good for one year past the warranty expiration? How old was your phone?

24. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

what about purchased using Visa Check card, do they cover the warranty also:confused:

25. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

REALLY? Aww man, I had something stolen from me like two days after I got the phone and I didn't know AMEX does this.