AppleCare on the iPhone X is $200 - getting it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FoxD, Sep 15, 2017.

1. FoxD macrumors 6502a

No chance I will get the 64GB version, wanted 128GB but that is not an option. Total cost now is almost $1500 with AppleCare. I am still moving forward and will sell my 7 Plus for around $500 but it all adds up quick!

Curious if people are getting AppleCare?

2. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Just like you, I was hoping for $999 128GB base storage and AppleCare+ at $129. But what we got instead is:

$1149 iPhone X 256GB
    $ 199 AppleCare+
    $ 110 Tax
    $1460 Total

Its kinda frustrating to see people talk of this $999 phone when the reality is that most people will be spending a lot more. 64GB just doesn't make sense for a "Pro" user or a "Flagship" device. And raising the price of AppleCare+ by $70 is excessive.

That said... I always get AC+. But this year then its kinda crazy that my carriers monthly protection plan may actually be cheaper than AppleCare so I may go for that instead. (That is, if I end up upgrading at all)

3. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

I wouldn't take any risk of not buying it. I can see damages occuring in all phones in general.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I usually opt out of AppleCare. The reason why is I am fairly cautious with my devices and fortunately have never had any accidents. I think AppleCare would be appropriate for those who are also more accident proned.

5. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Only 200 for ac+ ?

Its 249 here in canada

6. solo118 macrumors 65816

Might pass on it, god forbid the phone is lost/stolen it won't be covered anyways. If I have an accident and crack the screen, I will pay for it out of pocket.

7. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I have extended warranty + accidental coverage through my home insurance. So all of my devices + furniture and whatnot is covered for 4 years. No need to buy any extra insurance :)

8. SharepointGuy macrumors member

SharepointGuy

Nope, going to stick with my $60 Otterbox defender case. It may be bulky but i feel like i could run over the thing and it wouldn't have a scratch while inside it. Plus a nude phone is just way to slippery for me.

9. 358547, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  10. TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

I agree.

I've never bought AppleCare on anything... and I've owned a 5, 5s, 6 Plus, 6s Plus and soon an 8 Plus. Not to mention a couple iPads and a MBPro.

Never had a problem. I invest in a $20 Ballistic case for my phones and they've all survived drops with no damage of any kind.

11. grassright macrumors newbie

That's the reason of the price increase.

12. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

It's true, but you know yourself better. I hate to regret something that i could have prevented.

13. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Nope, never have purchased since the first iPhone.

14. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

You are correct on that. It is for peace of mind.

15. ticman macrumors regular

Question regarding AppleCare. I thought that if you ordered from the Apple Store app that the price included AppleCare and there is no option to decline it. Or am I confusing the apple iphone annual upgrade program.

My iphone 7+ was ordered and picked up at Apple Store after weeks of no info from ordering through AT&T. I am not a member of iphone upgrade program.

Thanks for any clarifications.
    M

16. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

i think i need to being i will probably go naked this time with the X. other than possibly a leather skin for the back. it will be my first time purchasing AC for the iPhone.

17. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Its not just about not being careless. It is also about unforeseen accidents happening to you, either directly, or at the hands of someone else. There is also the issue of possible hardware failure. With this being new technology on a very expensive phone, I think it is wise to not roll the dice. Would be cheaper than self-insuring, as that could mean the replacement cost of a new phone.

18. exexs macrumors member

Also go naked phone (looks so much better and thinner) and never took AC+ ... and yeah, I cracked one phone (iPhone 6) but I'll survive. The price of resell is rather low anyway. I'm pretty certain I've saved more by never buying AC+ than doing otherwise. This time however, with a phone close to 1300USD (converted from EUR) for base model... it's hard to know!

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Given iPhones rarely have hardware issues, I wouldn't consider AppleCare for that reason alone. Every single iPhone I have owned has never suffered any hardware related issues, except for a random haptic engine issue, which Apple happily rectified out of warranty. If a hardware issue persists, Apple has been known to address concerns out of warranty assuming it's not due to negligence and who handles your case. But every situation will vary.

As for accidents, never experienced issues here with any of my Apple devices. But I as mentioned prior, I have been fortunate due to how treat my property with respect. But I fully understand accidents can and will happen, but AppleCare does present its advantages. I just choose to take options and opt out.

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Always gotta be different don't ya. :p

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

We are all different. That's how discussions thrive. Because I don't share your views in some respects and other points I agree with. Everyone has different appreciations for how they handle their property.

22. Boardiesboi macrumors 65816

Boardiesboi

I’ve read elsewhere that you can get refunded for AppleCare+ pro rata after one year if you want to cancel.

Is that true? Has anyone done it before?

23. Kahsheh macrumors regular

Yes. I have done this. But only if you paid for apple care full price upfront. If you are on iup, nothing is refunded if you turn it in.

24. Boardiesboi macrumors 65816

Boardiesboi

That's good to know! I might actually get AppleCare+ for the iPhone X then.

It costs $299 here in Australia but if I can refund at the end of this product cycle in 2018, then it'll be $150 a year and definitely worth it!

25. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Perusing your posts. Someone pee in your cereal?