Applecare practically voided with any sign of physical damage, even when working 100%

Discussion in 'iPad' started by silverblack, Dec 17, 2010.

1. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I recently dropped my iPad. Because it was protected by the Apple iPad case, it survived and only had a minor scratch. See pic in my previous post here.

Anyway, I was wondering what it means to Apple when it comes to future Applecare warranty. I called Apple, the answer I got was... basically it's voided. The exact sentence was: "Even though it is working 100% now, a problem may develop in the future".

In other words, just because there is a scratch on my iPad now, any future issues could be blamed to that; i.e., no Applecare!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes and no.

Sometimes if a Genius decides to be a strict constructionist they'll deny you a warranty repair. Usually they are more forgiving. Now that you've let Apple know about dropping it by calling in you might be more likely to be denied service under warranty, though.

3. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

4. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

What difference does it make? It's not like they can't see the scratch/dent if I don't tell them.

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It makes a difference. The last thing you need is them putting a note in their system that the customer admitted user damage. Depending on the Rep, they may try to deny you any support from here on out.

So, why did you call them? You can read the AppleCare policy on Apple's Web site and first hand accounts of what actually happens on these forums.

This isn't a new policy, and while AppleCare Reps may tell you or vaguely hint that your warranty is void --- it really isn't as there are consumer protection laws that address this issue. Basically, they have to prove the damage either caused the need for a repair or is preventing a repair from taking place. Most of the time, they just call to upsell you to a new tier of service and replace everything.

Apple repairs work in tiers (or at least used to). For example, your legitimate hard drive repair may be covered under service tier #2, but your slightly dented casing might be covered under tier #1. They'll offer to replace your casing for a set amount that's usually $$$.

I had to fight them over a 12" aluminum PowerBook that had minor dents in the bottom casing. Mail-in service (which are all contractors) didn't want to replace the dead hard drive even though the dents were caused years before the hard drive died.

After complaining to a higher level AppleCare rep, they replaced the drive and left the casing alone as it wasn't interfering with the repair in the first place.

A similar thing happened with my 13" plastic MacBook that had the case cracking issue (they initially blamed me, but ended up replacing the entire casing because it was a known problem).

By the way, if you do damage your Apple product to a point where repairing it (for a legitimate service issue) would be a problem, you can always cancel your AppleCare and get a refund.

6. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Apples system shows all support issues for a device. If you called in and used the Applecare for that exact iPad (serial number) to qualify for free tech support, then the tech most likely noted down the conversation, which will show in the history of the product when you take it to any Apple service provider (including the Genius Bar).

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Why would you think that it will be cover by AppleCare? Apple care is a "manufacture Warranty", it cover manufacture defects, damage due to misused it is not a manufacturing problem. If you want coverage like that you need to get an "Insurance", it make sense if something goes wrong that they ping it to the drop.

8. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I think if I were the OP I would make a fuss. The thin aluminum side frame of the iPad is surprisingly easy to dent. If the drop were significant, more than a slight blemish would be obvious. Certainly Apple should protect its interests from abuse, but denying service in the future because of a slight, or even unrelated damage in the past, also hurts apple's interest in maintaining satisfied customers.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

Well, you don't actually know what Apple will do in the future. This is all a pointless academic exercise. Not sure what the OP was expecting ("Hello, Apple? I dropped my iPad but was calling to make sure that if anything bad happens in the future you won't make a fuss because I dropped it.") Apple's policies are clearly stated. It's also apparent that Apple can - and does - make exceptions.

So all we know from this exercise is that if anything fails on the OP's iPad while it's under warranty, Apple may or may not honor said warranty.

10. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

I never said I want Apple to cover any repair actually related to the dent. My original question was, how will Apple handles manufacture defects (using your language) in the future when they see the dent. Say, two months from now, the volume buttons don't work any more. So, the answer I got was, the technician could deem it related to the dent and deny coverage.

11. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

No kidding. In all likelihood, anything that Applecare would cover in an iPad is unlikely to suddenly malfunction. If the iPad dropped by the OP continues to operate normally, particularly for a long time, at least it is now on record that the original damage happened well in the past and is unlikely to be a direct cause of future problems.

12. SnowDX macrumors 6502

He doesn't think or want it the damage to be covered by AppleCare. He's worried that other legitimate hardware issues may not be covered in the future due to being blamed on the corner dent.

ETA: oops, I walked away to do something before hitting post and the OP already addessed this

13. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I can't imagine any Apple employee would say there is no problem with a product being dropped as far as Applecare is concerned. That would be the official position, but as others have said, once you walk into an Apple store with your broken product, then you are dealing one-on-one with someone who (hopefully) will just fix the problem, unless of course it is REALLY busted up.

14. poloponies macrumors 68030

And, again, not sure what he was expecting by calling. No way is anyone going to promise him anything before the fact.

15. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Well I have no idea. I was just making a clarification to the person that thought the OP wanted this particular damage to be covered by AppleCare.

16. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

I was wondering if there is a mechanism for me to bring in my iPad, and have a tech document the damage and functional condition. Apparently I was too naive to even consider this possibility.

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I may had miss spoke, It just doesn't make sense "to me" that you want a manufacture to cover something (even if it is a actual manufacture defect) after the item have been damage, there is no way to separate the damage from manufactures defect, this apply to any electronics. If the item is damage the warranty is void (as mentioned before you can find Apple genius or C rep that can usually look the other way, but this a in a case to case bases)

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

The old chestnut "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" applies here, as well. Exceptions are made when needed. It may well be that nothing ever comes of this and your iPad remains functionally flawless throughout its useful life.

19. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

In the thread the OP referenced there is talk about maybe selling the iPad. Is there a “carfax” type of report that is available from AppleCare (maybe called an ifax).
    So any potential buyer can have the "ifax" in hand when a price is negotiated.
    Or maybe I have just ate too many Christmas cookies.

20. anilg macrumors newbie

Apple like to "deem" warranty is voided

Like someone said, I think the consumer protection laws are what you need to inspect here.

Maybe Apple gives better service in the US but here in Sydney I'm wondering why I spent $99 on Applecare.

Our iPad was dropped way back - I can't remember when - and got some cracking on the screen at that corner; but we kept on using it regardless, of course.

Now recently it has developed a fault in the charging / synching socket that was once intermittent but now fails completely to charge the iPad. It's dead.

So I take it in under Applecare for fix? No.

Why? Because Apple says they can't be sure that the physical damage at the other end of the iPad hasn't stopped the socket from working.

As already said, I think it may be more a matter of what the consumer protection laws say, but you won't get Apple in Sydney helping you out - I'm having to consider legal action to get this fixed.

I'm losing goodwill with Apple these days. They seem to be making more and more "Microsoft" type decisions.

21. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Doesn't AppleCare now have this thing where you accidentally damage your iPad and you can have it repaired/replaced for $50?

Yeah, I know, $50, but still.

22. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

It does in the USA...I'm thinking we have AppleCare and warranty confused here.

Warranty issue means a malfunction replaced for free

AppleCare means $50 replaces damage caused by user.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you're confusing AppleCare with AppleCare+. AppleCare extends the basic warranty against manufacturing defects. Like the warranty, it does not cover damage. Only AppleCare+ provides coverage for damage, and it's only available for iPhones and iPads.

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

But wasn't "plain" AppleCare for iDevices discontinued in favor of AppleCare+?

Please correct me if I'm misinformed.

25. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

No, AppleCare+ (when available) includes accidental damage coverage. "Regular" AppleCare does not. If offered for your particular Apple product, AppleCare+ is only available for a limited period after purchase. Regular AppleCare can be purchased anytime within the original warranty period. If you're eligible for both, you have your pick.

Look at accidental damage this way... Non-cosmetic damage (cracked screen, water damage) will take precedence over materials and workmanship issues. Apple can't fix the home button but ignore the cracked screen or corroded contacts. However, cosmetic damage (most dings and scratches) doesn't void the warranty. If there's a cracked circuit board behind the dent, accidental damage - the whack had to be pretty hard to do internal damage. If there's a ding by the power button, the power button still works, but the home button quit? The one is too far removed from the other. No likely causality. Whoever repairs the device (or refuses to repair) has to document the damage. If necessary (though it probably won't be), you can appeal a negative determination with Apple.

On the other hand, if you tell someone who can't see what you're describing, that you dropped the phone, they're honor-bound to warn you that accidental damage could void the warranty, and duty-bound to note it. But they aren't inspecting the thing - the repair person does that. Maybe he/she will inspect more closely than usual, but typical parts failures (like a bad home button) aren't going to be blamed on a cosmetic scratch.