AppleCare+ Priced at $199 for iPhone X, $149 for iPhone 8 Plus

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today introduced its new flagship device, the iPhone X, equipped with an edge-to-edge OLED display, a new facial recognition system, an A11 Bionic chip, and dozens of other improvements.

All of those high-end components don't come cheap, with pricing on the device starting at $999 for the 64GB version. As it turns out, AppleCare+ for the iPhone X will also be more expensive, at $199.

[​IMG]

That's a $70 premium over AppleCare+ for the 8, which is priced at $129, the same price as AppleCare+ for the iPhone 7. AppleCare+ for the iPhone 8 Plus will cost $149, with Apple raising the AppleCare+ pricing for all of its Plus models by $20. Prior to today, AppleCare+ for larger-screened devices was $129, but with the new price change, AppleCare+ for iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPhone 6s Plus costs $149.

AppleCare+ for iPhone X will extend warranty coverage of the device to two years from the original date of purchase, and it will cover two incidents of accidental damage. Apple will charge $29 to replace a damaged screen, or $99 for any other damage. These fees, interestingly, have not gone up in price.

AppleCare+ will need to be purchased alongside the new iPhone X or within 60 days. Coverage includes the iPhone itself, the battery, and the included earphones and accessories.

Out of warranty screen repair costs are not available for the iPhone X as of yet, but for the iPhone 8 Plus, repairs cost $169. For the iPhone 8, repairs cost $149. That's a $20 increase across the board compared to previous repair costs. These new higher repair costs also apply to the iPhone 7, iPhone 6s, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPhone 6s Plus.

The new iPhone X will be available for pre-order on October 27, with the device seeing an official release on November 3.

Article Link: AppleCare+ Priced at $199 for iPhone X, $149 for iPhone 8 Plus

2. iLoveDeveloping macrumors regular

3. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Really starting to not be worth it. I think at this point most repair shops can fix most issues for $199 (or less) and the thing is already water resistant. It's more worth it in the iPhone Upgrade Program for yearly upgraders because it's half the cost (for instance, if you bought it outright every year it would be $396 vs. $199). They should offer a 1 year AppleCare+ option for half the price for those who buy outright.

4. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

How awesome would it have been if they included AppleCare with the purchase of the iPhone X. Just a thought.

5. Glassed Silver macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

Going forward I will applaud any customer unfriendly pricing.

Them going above what even they can get away with is the only thing that will stop this **** show.

Glassed Silver:mac

6. stumpapi macrumors newbie

stumpapi

Choke... that is awful and that would include a per incident charge as well. Given that the 64GB model is $1000 plus sales tax I won’t be looking at this anymore. Perhaps never....

7. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

8. b3ats macrumors member

That’s ok though because Apple products aren’t just for the rich (they’re also for the super-rich). Really, really disappointed with pricing this year.

9. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

Most of those shops use non-Apple parts. Can't tell you how many problems friends at Apple see come in because a shop used knockoff parts and did crap work, causing even more damage. Apple refuses to work on any phone that has had unauthorized 3rd party repairs on it, leaving them in a position where they have to buy a new phone.

If you seek out repairs outside of Apple, make sure they're an authorized repair shop.

10. Ceviche Lover macrumors regular

11. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Great! More consumer milking. They really laid it on thick this year.

12. DrJohnnyN Suspended

DrJohnnyN

Oh, come on. Surely you can afford $1,000 plus tax on something you'll use 2-5 hours daily.

13. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

14. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Anyone know the screen repair cost? That is what usually determines if I get AppleCare+. If it’s still cheaper for 1 screen repair, AC+ is a hard sell IMO

15. b3ats macrumors member

Seriously? If he doesn’t bother upgrading he’ll still use his phone the same amount of time and it’ll cost nothing. Is the iOS experience on the X worth over a grand compared to his current model?

Apple is being exceptionally greedy this year and seemingly going all out to recuperate, in one hit, the total spend on the sheer opulence that is their new headquarters.

16. colbertnation macrumors regular

These just keep creeping up every year... I remember it had stayed the same under SJ for years. (But I might be incorrect). Timmy's gotta show financial growth figures I guess...

17. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

$299 in Aus. $1829 for an X 256GB. Over 2 grand! Crazy.

18. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I'd say it's good business. They already know that people will have no problem paying $1000+ for the new X. Charge them a little more when it comes to the AppleCare because those customers have already demonstrated that they will pay it.

Apple knows how to use their brand to improve their bottom line. I'd say it's quite smart.

19. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I blame the person that bought the $10K Apple Watch. What an enabler!

20. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

To everyone complaining, just don't get AppleCare aka extended warranty. There is no reason to get it if you use a phone case.

21. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

So does that mean if you finance it, it no longer comes with AppleCare?

22. mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

But it’s optional. Taxes aren’t optional. Complain fail!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    They do, if you opt for the annual upgrade program.

23. TxExCxH macrumors member

TxExCxH

This really rubbed me the wrong way. It basically makes the iPhone X with 256gb $1400!

24. atikalz macrumors member

atikalz

And please give us a case for the x model for 100+. We will pay everything you demand, Apple.