AppleCare Protection Plan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asmallchild, Mar 22, 2008.

1. asmallchild macrumors regular

2. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

For a notebook, yes. It's money well spent. You can buy it any time within the first year, and for the best deal, do it in the Education Store or from eBay.

I have bought it with every Mac notebook I have owned, and while I've never had to use it (and I hope I never will) it's still a good deal over the life of the machine, especially if you're planning on keeping it for the duration of the AppleCare term.

MacDann

3. f1 macrumors 6502

Especially for a laptop yes, and you can get good deals on Applecare from third party resellers so yes, itz something you should have, unless you're one of those people who aggresively use craigslist or ebay and can sell and buy new computers every year.

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

+1 on applecare with a laptop purchase. The stuff I had replaced already paid AppleCare off on my old 2.33 MBP (Battery, Magsafe, LCD).

5. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

If you must get Applecare, buy it from a reputable seller on eBay for half the cost.

When compusa closed, they sold off a ton of applecare plans for 90% off and people scooped those up, and are now selling for 50% off.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

YESSSS

someone finally writes like me...although i prefer tiz

True, btw COMPUSA didn't actually close, there are still many retail outlets open, they just got new management and downsized.

Also, Applecare on a laptop = no brainer. The telephone support is also good for things like the Magsafe, since they will just send you one w/ a prepaid box to send the broken one box, even if the store won't replace it.

7. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

yes! it is totally worth it especially if you spent like 2000 or more for a freakin' laptop!

8. lego8 macrumors regular

lego8

My computer was ordered with it from Apple's online store. But I haven't gotten any registration info for it. When will it come?

9. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

if you order it with your macbook it will already come registered. When i ordered mine it also came in a little manila packet from Apple Care and contained the terms and conditions as well as the Tech Tool disc.

You can check the tracking info on your account at apple.com.

10. dinamo9 macrumors member

If I buy applecare on ebay instead of at the local mac store (where I am buying my MPB), will I still be able to bring it there 3 years if there is any problems? or do I have to deal directly with apple?

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

you can buy it from ebay. However you will need to go online or call them to register it to your serial #. Do not forget this step of registering. A few people have brought their computer after their first year warranty ended and assumed that once they bought it they were in the clear. But buying it just half the process.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It worth it. I just wouldn't activate it until about 8 months into the warranty just in case you do something to computer that's no covered by warranty.

13. bigwig macrumors 6502a

If I buy an Applecare plan, how long do I have to activate it before it goes bad? I know you must activate it within a year of purchasing the hardware, but what if I don't purchase the hardware for a couple of years?

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

why buy it, if your not planning to activate it?
    that's like buying a car and not driving it, isn't it?

it doesn't go bad... you cn sell it on later if you wish.. but why?

15. bigwig macrumors 6502a

Because you got it real cheap, that's why.

16. AndreUK macrumors newbie

I am facing the same dilemma, as shortly will be getting a 17" MBP + 23" ACD. Here in the UK Applecare costs £279 (thats $560!!!) ....doesn't seem such a good deal now!!

In the UK / Europe, we have strong consumer laws, saying that manufacturers must by law provide warrantees for 2 to 3 years for goods such as this, unfortunately Apple do not honor this (evading consumer law), so we are left with the dilemma of to buy or not to buy?

If I buy my MBP in the UK, but purchase Applecare from the US apple website or ebay (globally), will apple honor this?, or will I be in some ridiculous situation where I can only get telephone support from the USA and not locally or will they be "less than helpful" when I need repairs in the UK, etc... ??

17. m1stake macrumors 68000

18. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

It's not. AppleCare is AppleCare, whether you buy it in Beirut and use it in Barcelona. I bought AppleCare for my iPod from eBay in the U.S., and it worked perfectly. :)

19. AndreUK macrumors newbie

Are you given a US number for support though?

Or is there a list of support numbers, so you can use your local support (eg UK)?

20. Zeos macrumors 6502

My wife's MBP screen went out at 10 months. I bought Applecare after that just in case. If it had gone out at 13 months, we would have been out $800. Be sure that your lappy shows no sign of neglect or abuse, and Applecare should work great for you.

21. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

If you dont register it you can just keep it if you dont have the hardware yet. Just remember AppleCare is model specific. So if you buy it ahead of time be sure you're going to get the model its meant for (i.e. for Macbook/iBook or Macbook Pro/Powerbook, they have different prices for AppleCare)

of course when you do buy your computer you will want to register it within the 1 year. Might as well do it asap after you get your computer because phone support is actually better than what people think.

I know you are given the US number. I am sure there is an international # too. After all it is supposed to be "global"

22. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

AppleCare support is worldwide anyway, at least for laptops — not sure about desktops. So even without extended coverage you can get warranty service in the first year if you happen to be abroad when your machine goes wrong. So once you've got AppleCare, all it does is extend the whole thing another two years and you just continue to get support wherever you need it — the U.S., UK, wherever.

23. nohaver macrumors member

Cheapest Place to buy AppleCare

Besides the student discount for ($239) is there a cheaper place to find this? I suppose ebay but what about any disount sites

24. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

Has anyone monitored the Ebay prices ? Are the deals better now than they used to be and is their a risk to see prices go up again once all the CompUSA deals are gone ?

Just wondering if I should buy now or keep my money until my laptop is 11months old or so. (got it less than a month ago)

Ralph

25. AndreUK macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, it's been really helpfull.

I've actually just phoned the Applestore in the UK, as my girlfriend already has a 15" Macbook Pro bought recently here in the UK. I asked "if I am in the US (as I usually am once or twice a year) and purchase an Applecare plan will it I be able to use it in the UK on a UK Macbook Pro". I was told repeatedly that the Applecare is Worldwide, and that i should have no problems. If they're as good as there word then that's my problem solved!

....now to dig out my credit card, MBP & ACD here I come!! :)

(Thanks again to all, this forum has been most helpful!!)