AppleCare Protection Plan

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by YinnLenqq, Jul 6, 2010.

1. YinnLenqq macrumors newbie

I just bought a macbook and is wondering if the applecare is really worth the price.

2. Xenophon macrumors regular

Is it worth it?

I previously stated that AppleCare was not worth it, now I've changed my opinion and here's why:

- My wife's Unibody macbook pro needed a top case replacement after 6 months. Still covered by the original warranty.
    - My early 2009 alu unibody macbook so far burned through one battery (blatant failure after 120 cycles/ 13 months). I had to cough up +100 USD for a new one.
    - Last week my superdrive failed. Replacement cost via Apple: 200 USD.

To be blunt: the AppleCare is a necessary evil imho. Over a span of 3 years major component failures and costs not only are a possibility, they're highly likely so it's best to cover your behind. If the mainboard were to fail you might as well buy a new machine if it's no longer under warranty.

The question is not whether or not to get AppleCare, the cost of it should be added to the global cost of the machines, given the shabby component quality. For me, the REAL question is if, given the high total cost, an macbook pro's still worth it compared to a pc laptop. If it weren't for the OS my answer would be a resounding 'NO'.

3. YinnLenqq thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using a macbook-white (latest) not a MBP . currently , there's a 25+% discount at my town here . I was considering it still just because its too costly .

4. Xenophon macrumors regular

Then take my advice: just add the AppleCare cost to the price of the machine and consider if it falls within your price range then. Do not buy it without AppleCare, it'll only lead to financial agony and frustration over Apple's abysmal price/quality ratio.

If after adding AppleCare you feel it's too expensive, walk away and buy a pc laptop, you'll be happier.

5. YinnLenqq thread starter macrumors newbie

that's quite true . although research shows that only <20% macbooks are having problems but well , you may be one of the minority and since the applecare plan here is selling at USD230 and it comes with a sleeve case , keyboard protector , palm guard and cleaning kit .

i suppose its worth it .

6. Xenophon macrumors regular

Yeah, I've been reading the same statistics as you have, only I'm the statistician who drowned in a river with an average depth of 2 inches :)

Probaility of 3 events (failures) in case of an individual event probability of 20% and assuming independent events: 0.2^3=0.008 or 0.8% Yet here I am :)

(in case a mathematician sees this: I'm aware it's not as simple as this but I guess the gist is clear)

7. YinnLenqq thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advise man . They did helped me alot . I am gonna head down to the nearest apple store now !